Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > The New Dyson DC27 Upright!

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
DC18

Dyson, Sebo and Bissell user

The New Dyson DC27 Upright!
Original Message   Jan 6, 2009 5:45 pm
Having another topic mentioned some new vax machines on a Littlewoods website, I had a look around to see what else might be new and came across the 'new' Dyson DC27 Upright, see link below:

http://www.littlewoods.com/rf/s.do?Np=1&Ns=&Ntk=littlewoods_search&Ntt=dyson&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&Nu=this_product&pageSize=12&Nao=0&cmEvent=page_navigation

They have 2 Models on their website 'Animal' and 'All Floors', first look suggests an update version of the US DC17 but for the UK\Europe markets.  This will be the replacement for the popular DC14.  I thought a separate motor for the brush bar like the DC17 would have been standard, but looks like it uses the DC04\DC07\DC14 clutch setup!   Not sure as the website doesn't say if it just has a slim root cyclone technology or the core is included!   It does look like it has more small cyclones than the current DC14 and DC15 and DC25 models.  See picture of DC27 All Floors model below!  DC18

+DC27+All+floors++upright+clea... 

Replies: 19 - 28 of 93Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
DysonInventsBig

Re: The New Dyson DC27 Upright!
Reply #19   Jan 8, 2009 4:12 pm
DC18 wrote:
DIB

So the DC27 US version would have a motor driven brush bar but as the DC27 UK version is replacing the DC14 then the clutch version is used.  If the DC27 US version is a replacement over the DC17 then why is there no core\level 3 technology there if, well I suspect it is to be better than the DC17?  As for the UK version the smaller cyclones (which there are probabaly more than 8 small cyclones) will filter better than the DC14 probably better suction too, but the same clutch setup is no improvement over the DC14!?   I can see what you mean by 'value trade', but then Dyson is not about 'value trade' but that might be about to changeor has to change!  Yes Dyson's floating head is a feature of all his Upright vacuums since the DC01.  The reason for it then probably stands for the reason they still use it.  No extra switches\dails to bend down and turn\switch and 'fiddle' about with!   I've been saying for a while Dyson need to re-think the floating head!

One thing that still has not been learned on this DC27 is the limited access the cleaning head gives you!  Not only a re-think on the floating head but a redesign of the overall cleaning head\nozzle to give better cleaning access.  Take a look at the DC18\DC24 and DC25 they are going in the right direction, low profile cleaning heads!

The best floating head I have seen which auto adjusts without the users having to do anything is on the Sebo X4!

As you say the DC17 is Dyson best seller, I believe the same for the DC14 in the UK as before that the DC07 and DC04.  They are what we called Dyson's 'bread and butter' line.  The one out of the whole range that sells well.  So although the DC14 is due for replacement the DC27 has to fit into that slot where the DC14 is at present!  So nothing too radical a change from DC14 to the DC27 as not to loose that position within the whole range.  Which I suppose as you said 'value trade' comes in!

DC18

DC18,

I must admit to some confusion.  The cut-away illustration (UK image) shows a clutched vacuum on American carpeting and so I thought this was the American version.

Yes, the Sam’s Club DC27 is DC17-like (motorized brushroll, etc.) but refined and without sequential filtration (Level 3).

I like to see the clutch eliminated altogether (here in the U.S), unless Dyson can engineer a clutch that works 100% of the time on all carpeting and area rugs.  By comparison, motorized brushrolls work 100% every time.  IMO a good amount of eBay Dyson refurbishes being sold are customer returns due to clutch-chatter or related.  The DC07 does chatter somewhat on my Berber.  Can Dyson afford to sit back and watch Hoover, Bissell and others take his market due to clutch-chatter or otherwise?

It does not bother me much when a Dyson will not fit all the way under some furniture.  I use floor tools on the wand/hose.  But Dyson makes his customers pay up to $50 (floor tool pricing) for this privilege. Give people a free floor tool and problem solved.  In the Dyson v. Oreck lawsuit, Dyson complains of Oreck damaging their sales when they advertise (exploit a Dyson weakness) how a Dyson cannot fit under furniture.  Dyson said it was untrue, and that a floor tool can be used with their hose/wand to vacuum.  But of course this comes with an additional [up to] $50 floor tool price tag.  The DC21 floor tool does not articulate (up and down) and is almost worthless to vacuum under furniture, and so the $40-$50 Dyson articulated floor tool is a must (its not somewhat better, it’s far better).  :)

DIB

P.S.  I always like hearing the Dyson and/or vacuum guys from the UK.  Keep posting.

DC18

Reply #20   Jan 8, 2009 4:51 pm
DIB

Thanks for the reply.  No worries, I was surprised when I saw the DC27 on a UK website generally then to fine it on a US website.

I suppose the DC27 like here in the UK is to replace the US DC14!

Well it would have been a nice move away from the clutch on the DC27 for the UK version but we are not to luckly!   Must be a reason not to!  No Dyson can't afford to sit back but it looks that way!  He needs to 'dump' the clutch on the UK models!  Looking at just that one image there appears to be some improvements over the DC14, although I would have liked to have seen the Core\Level 3 on a UK Upright Dyson by now. One thing I'm still not sure is this 2 in 1 crevice and dusting brush tool!  The dusting brush is too small, I know from using the DC18 one!  The DC01 had a small dusting brush which was later changed on the DC01 'Absolute' model for a bigger one.  It's a good idea and works well on the DC16 handheld, but on an upright can make the slim crevice tool more bulky!  Another reason for you to buy one of the long crevice tools as an extra tool!

I can see where your coming from but I'm one of many that although the tools are to hand (and do like using them alot) you don't always want to be using the tools just for basic vacuuming of a room.  It nice to be able use to vacuum a room and get under low furniture without having get the wand out and go and get a floor tool out!  This issue was slightly addressed on the DC24 and DC25 $#%*, slimmer cleaning heads which was a slight issue on the original Ball DC15.   I can see where both Dyson and Oreck are coming from.  From Orecks point they adverise their vacuum to be able to lie flat and go under low furnture where as no Dyson can do that (only one ever did the DC03 - bring it back!!!), on the othe hand Dyson says a floor tool on the hose\wand can achieve this!   Like you say these extra tools to achieve this comes at an extra cost to the customer!  A floor tool was included on the top models of Dyson Uprights (UK) years ago like on the DC04 but they do not do it now! 

One thing always comes to mind, Dyson strives (which they do!) to make better products, surely this is an area along with the brush bar issue to improve upon!   The bulky head setup on the DC14 and DC27 and previous models can be an issue in the kitchen and vacuuming along skirting where cupboard plinths, pipes and radicators are in the way...stick out.  The DC03, DC18, DC24 and DC25 wouldn't have an issue!  

Don't get me wrong DIB, I do love Dyson Vacuums I'm just concerned they are not moving forwards with technology and design!   Before long like you say others will take their share away!

DC18

CarmineD

Reply #21   Jan 9, 2009 7:26 am
DysonInventsBig wrote:
 Can Dyson afford to sit back and watch Hoover, Bissell and others take his market due to clutch-chatter or otherwise?

DIB

It's an uber over simplification to blame the gawd awful dyson ratcheting noise [chatter is a euphemism] as the main reason for dyson sales being down 30 percent in 2008 and the high rate of customer returns/dyson refurbs.  Goes way and well beyond mere chatter.  However, I agree with you: The over engineered clutch on dyson's DC07/14 and still possibly with DC27 is utterly and completely useless.  I have several low pile but sculptured berber area rugs.  A dyson DC07 pink was useless on them unless I bend down and turned off the brush roll.  Then, the brush roll's grooming effect is lost.  The best dyson bagless upright ever produced IMHO is a DC07 All Carpets w/o the clutch.  It was made exclusively for Wal*Mart stores with an MSRP of $359.  W*M typically sold it for $309-$319 between 2003 and 2004.  Until W*M and dyson had a falling out, and they were giving them away for $50-$100.

I would add EUREKA to the above list of brands knocking off dyson sales.  For one reason, it is traditionally rated a BEST BUY by several leading consumer magazines.  As another, EUREKA frequently takes out full page ads in the weekly and monthly women's magazines.  Plus, as witnessed by posters here, EUREKA is capitalizing nicely on the latest and greatest in industry technology for bags and filters with the odor resistant, anti-bacterial, and improved filtration features.  For both its bagged and bagless models.  With a focus on a complete line of products for pet owners.  This is a growing USA market with 74 million 4 legged furry friends nationwide.  Most brands dyson too missed the boat on this market.  Dyson came close by labelling models as "animal."  But, what's in a name?

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 9, 2009 by CarmineD
Trilobite

Reply #22   Jan 10, 2009 7:35 pm
DC18 wrote:
 I'm just concerned they are not moving forwards with technology and design!   Before long like you say others will take their share away!

DC18

I don't blame you; I've had that feeling for some time.

It seems that Dyson technology advances two steps forward and one step back again. That DC27 (UK model) looks particularly uninspiring; what is it with Dyson's love of that clutch???

I was in a low-cost shop recently. They had non-name pattern belts for various uprights, Dysons included. What I found interesting was that there were belts for the DC03; a cleaner that has that clutch system; employing supposedly lifetime belts.

CarmineD

Reply #23   Jan 11, 2009 7:11 am
Trilobite wrote:

It seems that Dyson technology advances two steps forward and one step back again. That DC27 (UK model) looks particularly uninspiring; what is it with Dyson's love of that clutch???

I haven't seen a DC27 up close and personal, so this comment/observation is strictly "speculative" to use other posters' term.   Dyson's latest DC27 appears to be a hodge podge of other models [save the ball].  Yes, it appears to have the infamous dyson clutch.  Why do seemingly acclaimed brilliant inventors/designers [who run their own companies] do this?  Perhaps......at the end of the model[s] production run[s], they take all the excess inventory of unused parts and components, put them all together, add a new model number, jack up the MSRP, and voila the inventory parts problem is solved.  In the auto industry, they call it 'limited edition.'

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 11, 2009 by CarmineD
DysonInventsBig

Reply #24   Jan 11, 2009 2:58 pm
There is nothing wrong (obvious) with a Dyson clutch, it's doing what it is designed to to.  The amount of downforce on the brushroll is the problem. Miele answered this delima (S7) with an air-bleed or speed control (I do not remember which was used).

floating nozzles.

DIB
This message was modified Jan 11, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

Venson

Reply #25   Jan 11, 2009 4:37 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
There is nothing wrong (obvious) with a Dyson clutch, it's doing what it is designed to to.  The amount of downforce on the brushroll is the problem. Miele answered this delima (S7) with an air-bleed or speed control (I do not remember which was used).

floating nozzles.

DIB
Hi DIB,

Miele's top-of-the-line power nozzle solves the problem by offering several height adjustments as all vacuums should have.  Speed adjustments can also help fine-tune matters.  The S7 upright series has a floating brushroll - not a floating nozzle.  As well, all have an on the money electric shut-off that switches off the brushroll motor.  It's all a matter of a flick finger on the handle grip -- no stooping to get at a reset button --  to start either a canister's PN or the uprights up again should they stall.

My question would be since the Ball is supposed to be Dyson's piecs de resistance, why is the company still fooling around with its old design.  By the way the nozzle on the ball "floats".

Venson
DC18

Reply #26   Jan 11, 2009 4:38 pm
Trilobite wrote:
I don't blame you; I've had that feeling for some time.

I was in a low-cost shop recently. They had non-name pattern belts for various uprights, Dysons included. What I found interesting was that there were belts for the DC03; a cleaner that has that clutch system; employing supposedly lifetime belts.

Thats one of my concerns!  You could look at the DC27 (UK) as an updated DC14!  From looking at the first pictures a few improvements over the DC14!  After all the DC14 and the replacement DC27 is Dyson's main 'bread & butter' model (as we call it!), which is more popular overall!  So to make major changes could effect this base model.  The main 'basic' design of the cleaner head has not changed since it was introduced on the DC04, each model after having design changes made like the air vents at the back of the soleplate on the DC07!   After all the DC14 was introduced after issues from the DC07 hence the lower height on the bin and cyclone setup giving a better lower centre of gravity for carrying the vacuum.

I would have liked the DC17 setup on the DC27 in the UK, by that I mean a separate motor for the brush bar\roll.  After all the cleaning head is more or less the same as the DC17!  Also the use of Level 3\Core technology as well.  Who knows may be the DC27 is just an interim model and Dyson is working on something completely new!!  I believe each Dyson model (the full range for that model) product lifecycle is about 5 years!  Be interesting to see what benefits the DC27 has over the DC14!

DC18

DC18

Reply #27   Jan 11, 2009 4:48 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:

floating nozzles.

DIB

I've never had any issues with the clutch setup on any of my Dyson's since it was introduced on the DC03.  It was welcomed in the UK when it first appeared on the DC03 as the DC01 didn't ever have this setup!

It can be a job to bend down and turn the dial to switch off\on the brush bar\roll, you can so I've see use your foot to do this!  This was mainly marketed by Dyson when the DC07 came to the US. 

DC18

Trilobite

Reply #28   Jan 11, 2009 5:48 pm
Venson wrote:
My question would be since the Ball is supposed to be Dyson's piecs de resistance, why is the company still fooling around with its old design. 
Venson

Quite.

DC18 wrote"Be interesting to see what benefits the DC27 has over the DC14!"

Not bloody much by the look of things!

Replies: 19 - 28 of 93Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42