Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Sweeper and Vacuum collection auctioned (UK)...

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
DysonInventsBig

Sweeper and Vacuum collection auctioned (UK)...
Original Message   Jan 7, 2009 1:42 pm
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
Venson

Re: Sweeper and Vacuum collection auctioned (UK)...
Reply #1   Jan 7, 2009 7:22 pm
Thanks DIB,

I was surprised to see the Westinghouse upright.  I didn't know that Westinghouse was exporting to or manufacturing in Europe that far back.

Venson
DysonInventsBig

Reply #2   Jan 10, 2009 12:56 am
Venson wrote:
Thanks DIB,

I was surprised to see the Westinghouse upright.  I didn't know that Westinghouse was exporting to or manufacturing in Europe that far back.

Venson

Venson,

You’re welcome.  Did you recognize any of the pre-electric suction (sweepers?).  Do you know any of their history?

I enjoy hearing the name Westinghouse name, as he believed in and profited from (society did too) a Thomas Edison reject by the name of Nikola Tesla.

DIB

CarmineD

Reply #3   Jan 11, 2009 7:54 am
Venson wrote:
Thanks DIB,

Venson

My thanks too, DIB.  Vacuum collections are fascinating. 

Hi Venson:

I'm guessing neither.  Westinghouse was not producing vacuums in Europe and/or exporting.  I suspect that the collector came upon it [a USA model] through other means.  The pictured Westinghouse upright doesn't have its cloth bag.  The UK vacuum along side, does not have the brush roll.  Typical with vintage vacuums, that they are rarely complete.  And of course not being complete diminishes the value even as a museum piece.  Sadly, for most today who see these antiques, it's scrap metal and nothing more.  Takes another vintage collector, preferably vacuum enthusiast, to appreciate their value and be the next caretaker.  Museums are usually not interested in vacuums as conversation pieces of history.  In part, because too many brands/models were produced and most don't know the underlying history.  What's left around today in terms of vacuums is very unsexy for viewing by the current generation even as artifacts and history.

Carmine D. 

This message was modified Jan 11, 2009 by CarmineD
Venson

Reply #4   Jan 11, 2009 1:22 pm
CarmineD wrote:

Hi Venson:

I'm guessing neither.  Westinghouse was not producing vacuums in Europe and/or exporting.  I suspect that the collector came upon it [a USA model] through other means.  The pictured Westinghouse upright doesn't have its cloth bag.  The UK vacuum along side, does not have the brush roll.  Typical with vintage vacuums, that they are rarely complete.  And of course not being complete diminishes the value even as a museum piece.  Sadly, for most today who see these antiques, it's scrap metal and nothing more.  Takes another vintage collector, preferably vacuum enthusiast, to appreciate their value and be the next caretaker.  Museums are usually not interested in vacuums as conversation pieces of history.  In part, because too many brands/models were produced and most don't know the underlying history.  What's left around today in terms of vacuums is very unsexy for viewing by the current generation even as artifacts and history.

Carmine D. 

Hi Carmine,

I'll have to delve further into it but the question may be which Westinghouse.  Per a Wikipedia listing, there was a British Westinghouse Electric and Manufacturing Company a subsidiary of America's Westinghouse..  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Westinghouse

Thus, the vacuum in question may well not have been made here in the States but in Britain.  What I have to discover is what the British company manufactured.

As far as the collecting end of things goes, in my neck of the woods, old houses and attics with lots of good stuff are hard to come by as hens' teeth but in the end it really all depends on the tenacity and talent of the collector.  Many older, even particularly popular vacs don't come complete.  Those units finally displayed may often be a compilation of tools and parts acquired individually or from other machines of the same make and model.  Thus you can end up buying several to finally put together one complete machine to show.  I've had my share of this with Rexair B's and see more of the same coming up if I ever get around to spiffying a Westinghouse T-6 canister I got a while back.  Most of the tools are entact but I still have to come across a good set of authentic wands. 

Like most, I am not much in for breaking machines down bringing them back to pristine condition -- I also don't have the space for a work area to accommodate.  I buy a piece here, a piece there till I'm content with what I've put together.  In any case, the average collectors' efforts pale in the face of people like Bob Kautzman  http://www.vachunter.com/restoration.htm and Charlie Lester http://www.137.com/ (see the pages about his garage clean up) but anyone with a real passion for it can achieve great results if they try.  The trying however takes time and patience.

Best,

Venson
DysonInventsBig

Reply #5   Jan 11, 2009 5:45 pm
CarmineD wrote:

Hi Venson:

Carmine D. 

Glad you liked it.

CarmineD

Reply #6   Jan 11, 2009 8:34 pm
Hi Venson:

Nice detective work.  Interestingly, one of Bob K's favorites is the Westinghouse hand vacuum made of dark bakelite.  I believe he paid $50 for one complete.  One of the higher priced pieces in his collection.  The Westinghouse uprights, you may recall, that were made during the war years [1940's] in the USA exactly resemble the UK Westinghouse pictured but were produced in two tone brown hard plastic, if I recall correctly.  Also Bob and his Dad separate the handles and bags from the vacuum bodies to store more easily in their barn in Pennsylvania.  I don't see the value in that preferring like the late great Stan Kann to keep the vintage vacuums all intact.  Charles Lester, as I recall, is the Electrolux aficionado among others.  Great vacuum collector names, for sure.

Keep me posted on your Westinghouse research and findings, please.  I'll do the same.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 12, 2009 by CarmineD
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42