Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Hoover WindTunnel versus Kenmore Progressive Vacuum cleaners

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
tomas21

Hoover WindTunnel versus Kenmore Progressive Vacuum cleaners
Original Message   Jan 2, 2009 5:20 pm
Hoover WindTunnel versus Kenmore Progressive Vacuum cleaners Hello,

I'm looking for a solid vacuum for cleaning carpets and hardwood floors. Which one of these would be recommended?

Hoover® WindTunnel™ Anniversary Edition Self-Propelled Bagged Upright

$159.00

Kenmore Progressive Upright Vacuum with Inteli-Clean System

$249.00
Replies: 1 - 44 of 44View as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Hoover WindTunnel versus Kenmore Progressive Vacuum cleaners
Reply #1   Jan 2, 2009 5:50 pm
Hello Tomas21

For the difference in price [$100], HOOVER most definitely.  HOOVER WT is the gold-standard for rug cleaning and rates an Excellent from Consumer Reports for barefloor performance.  It weighs several pounds more than the Sears Progressive due to the transmission for the self-propel feature.  If you use the tools regularly, you may want to spend some of the money you save [vice the Sears Prgressive]  to purchase the extra 10 foot hose extension.  You can check the details on the HOOVER Web site.  Here is a site from the HOOVER parts store with the hose:

http://www.vacuumpartstore.com/howisepr10ho.html

Also if you are so inclined, you can purchase filtrette paper/cloth bags for sligthly extra more than the regular Allergen bags.  Tho, the 12 extra bags [with the HOOVER purchase] will probably last 12-18 months easily.   This is a HOOVER 100 Anniversary edition to commemorate its beginning in June 1908.  The HOOVER WT SP has been in production since 1999.  And has an excellent track record for performance. 

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Carmine D. 

This message was modified Jan 2, 2009 by CarmineD
tomas21

Reply #2   Jan 3, 2009 12:20 pm
Thanks Carmine for the information... I think we are going to go with the Hoover WT after reading the reviews and the additional savings.

-Tom
tomas21

Reply #3   Jan 17, 2009 1:47 am
Carmine, how does that 10' hose attach to the vacuum since it looks slightly different.  Does it replace the existing or attach to make the existing even longer?

Where is the best place to buy ext hoses?

Thanks
CarmineD

Reply #4   Jan 17, 2009 7:33 am
Hello Tom:

The 10 foot hose extension connects to the existing hose.  HOOVER is probably the best source but unfortunately all the local stores closed/are in the process of closing.  May want to call HOOVER directly and inquire.  Costs about $20 plus.  Be patient when you navigate through the telephone directory.  Response is sometimes slow.  Hope you are enjoying your new SP WT.  Here's the web site. 

http://www.hoover.com/

Here is another Web site and option which I may have already posted:

http://www.vacuumpartstore.com/howisepr10ho.html

This site is for a company that advertises on the side banner here.  It appears that the company, and I make no warranties and/or claims about it, sells large quantities of genuine HOOVER parts.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 17, 2009 by CarmineD
Vacuumfreeeke

Reply #5   Jan 17, 2009 4:24 pm
I'd say to go with the Kenmore hands down.  It is made by Panasonic, a company known for quality products.  Hoover is now owned by the same people who own Dirt Devil and they are infamous for loud cheap products of dreadful quality (save the Royal All metal uprights...).  The S/P Windtunnel was around 300 dollars when it first came out (as was the Kenmore Progressive Drect Drive)... look how much the Hoover has depreciated!  It has TWO belts (one for the transmission and another V belt for the brushroll, which will quite often eat into the brushroll over time).  The Kenmore has NO belts at all, and will be much quieter than the Hoover.  The bare floor control will be in the handle on the Kenmore.  Because of the transmission, the Hoover will be quite jerky (and even more heavy and loud).  The Kenmore will run smooth, and though not self propelled, the brushroll will help to move it foward.  I dare to say the Kenmore will last longer than the Hoover... I see LOTS of S/P WindTunnels in the thrift shops when I look for vacuums... usually with the height adjust, barefloor control sliders, and attachment cover all broken off.  I used to sell both of these machines when I worked for Sears... I'd say if you want quality and ease of use to get the Kenmore.  If you something cheap, the Hoover.  The best advice is to try both machines out side by side and see what you think of them.  Unless they have changed since I sold them, the Kenmores have a brushroll with FOUR rows of very thick bristles that clean deeply.  They also have rubber around the wheels which will be a lot nicer than the plastic on the Hoover for bare floors. 

Please do let us know what you think of whichever machine you choose! 
CarmineD

Reply #6   Jan 17, 2009 7:05 pm
Hi Bobby:

Tom said earlier that after reading the reviews on both vacuums, and considering the price difference, he was going with the H-WT-SP.  I glanced through the reviews quickly after Tom posted, and noted that indeed HOOVER fared much better than the Progressive.  If I recall this particular HOOVER Anniversary model comes with a 3 year warranty and extra bags.  And if you match the features of both, they are comparable with the edge going to HOOVER for the self-propel feature. 

BTW, I was in COSTCO last week or so.  And looked at the vacuums and noted this HOOVER model is the one COSTCO is carrying and pushing to the exclusion of all others.  It gets the prominence in location and with the number in inventory.  I looked it over quickly, and for the $150, it has to be the best upright on the market for sale now save the $60 HOOVER TEMPO [which COSTCO doesn't carry].  Add the 10 foot extension hose for $20 and filtrette paper/cloths and you can't go wrong with the purchase.

Carmine D. 

This message was modified Jan 17, 2009 by CarmineD
Vacuumfreeeke

Reply #7   Jan 18, 2009 12:06 am
He said he thought he would go with the WindTunnel... he didn't say he'd already decided for sure.  It certainly is cheaper, but I still stay that the Kenmore is a better quality machine!
CarmineD

Reply #8   Jan 18, 2009 7:06 am
Hello Bobby:

You're right, Tom didn't say for sure. 

The lower price [$150 for the HOOVER vice $250 for the SEARS] in concert with the 3 year warranty [vice one year for the SEARS] are THE reasons I recommend it.  I am impressed that this HOOVER model carries a 3 year warranty, not one year like the SEARS Progressive.  Plus, 7 out of 8 reviews by COSTCO buyers for this model speak highly about it [Tom's point].  Tom provided the link with the reviews.  Since the HOOVER is a new Anniversary model [100 years Edition] and just added to the COSTCO sales venue for the 2008 Holiday sales season, there are not alot of product reviews as with the SEARS Progressive. 

The SEARS Progressive upright price dropped from $350 to $250 during the Holiday sales season.  It can't go lower than $200-$250 because of middle man costs/profits since Pano makes these uprights for SEARS under the Progressive name.  If Tom were so inclined, he would be better served price wise to shop/buy at local vacuum stores who carry the Pano upright line rather than SEARS.  After market parts and service availability would probably be better at local vacuum stores with the Pano line than SEARS.

I'm curious to see what Consumer Reports does with its testing and ratings for uprights on the next go round [March 2009].  The HOOVER WT/SP [TTI Floorcare and China made] has a decent chance to unseat the SEARS Progressive in the number one spot.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 18, 2009 by CarmineD
tomas21

Reply #9   Jan 19, 2009 12:13 am
Thanks for all of your feedback and comments.  After reviewing both Vacuums in person we like the WT a lot better than the Kenmore.  The WT does have rubber on it's rear wheels but it still left slight marks on our hardwood floors, so it looks like I'll only be using a Bona duster for the floors.  The carpets look great and the propelled is much appreciated by the wife.

I'll be ordering this 10ft ext to hopefully be able to reach the ceiling fan without tipping over the vacuum.

Thanks !
This message was modified Jan 20, 2009 by tomas21
CarmineD

Reply #10   Jan 19, 2009 7:09 am
Tom:

Congrats on the purchase.  Keep in mind too the 3M filtrette bags for this model especially if you/your family members are bothered by allergies and sinuses.  Also, I believe a tool is made for HOOVER attachments specifically for vacuuming ceiling fans.  May want to check it out.

As I mentioned, I believe this particular HOOVER WT SP [TTI Floorcare] has the potential for unseating the SEARS Progressive for the number one spot by Consumer Reports.  Have to wait and see.

Carmine D.

tomas21

Reply #11   Jan 22, 2009 3:41 pm
For a couple more bucks can get the 20' ext here although I may call Hoover just to confirm part no etc.

Link
This message was modified Jan 22, 2009 by tomas21
CarmineD

Reply #12   Jan 22, 2009 5:50 pm
Hi Tom:

Not a bad idea if you don't mind storing the longer hose.

Carmine D.

TTIpowerT

Reply #13   Jan 30, 2009 6:34 pm
The Hoover WT Anniversary Self Propelled upright has taken over the # 1 ranking in the new consumer reports upright rankings. Hoover landed {4 out of 10} top ranking spots.

Also of note: Hoover finished with 7 uprights in the top 20 (w/o best in class platinum collection models). Dyson has 2 in the top 20 and Bissell landed only one.

-Beats as it Sweeps
Venson

Reply #14   Jan 30, 2009 7:59 pm
TTIpowerT wrote:
The Hoover WT Anniversary Self Propelled upright has taken over the # 1 ranking in the new consumer reports upright rankings. Hoover landed {4 out of 10} top ranking spots.

Also of note: Hoover finished with 7 uprights in the top 20 (w/o best in class platinum collection models). Dyson has 2 in the top 20 and Bissell landed only one.

-Beats as it Sweeps

Hi,

It's my understanding, per CR online, that its final vacuum ratings won't be out until March this year.  That means the fat girl may not have yet stepped on stage to sing.  Though CR speaks well of the U6485-900 and rates it at 73 out of a possible 100, it clearly states that the cleaner is loud and that it also considers its 21 pound weight heavy.

Is that an issue?  Maybe not.  This Hoover is an affordable $230 vacuum that cleans well and has great emission scores.

Venson
TTIpowerT

Reply #15   Jan 30, 2009 8:55 pm
Actually the March 2009 Magazine edition has already been released and includes the latest upright, hand and stick rankings.
CarmineD

Reply #16   Jan 31, 2009 6:46 am
Venson wrote:
Hi,

It's my understanding, per CR online, that its final vacuum ratings won't be out until March this year.  That means the fat girl may not have yet stepped on stage to sing.  Though CR speaks well of the U6485-900 and rates it at 73 out of a possible 100, it clearly states that the cleaner is loud and that it also considers its 21 pound weight heavy.

Is that an issue?  Maybe not.  This Hoover is an affordable $230 vacuum that cleans well and has great emission scores.

Venson

Hello Guys:

Actually, when Tomas21 purchased this H-WT-SP Anniversary edition COSTCO was selling for $150 with a year's supply of allergin bags as part of the Holiday sales.  A great buy.  I've noticed that big box retailers are holding the price on it now at $229.  Most likely will based on the CR ratings.  I believe the CR March editions will be on the news stands this weekend.  I'll have to check and see.  Should please Tomas that his choice was picked by CR too!

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #17   Jan 31, 2009 6:50 am
TTIpowerT wrote:

Also of note: Hoover finished with 7 uprights in the top 20 (w/o best in class platinum collection models).
-Beats as it Sweeps

Wow.  Impressive.  Should be a huge boost to sales especially in hard economic times.  Go HOOVER/TTI!

What was that heresy about dyson vacuums knocking HOOVER out?  On whose scorecard?  James?  His doesn't count. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 31, 2009 by CarmineD
HARDSELL

Reply #18   Jan 31, 2009 8:41 am
CarmineD wrote:
Wow.  Impressive.  Should be a huge boost to sales especially in hard economic times.  Go HOOVER/TTI!

What was that heresy about dyson vacuums knocking HOOVER out?  On whose scorecard?  James?  His doesn't count. 

Carmine D.

What was that heresy about hoover vacuums knocking DYSON out?  On whose scorecard?  Carmine's? First the Fusion, then the Z.  His doesn't count.

CarmineD

Reply #19   Jan 31, 2009 8:49 am
Hey HS:

Like I always say:  You're only as good as your latest rating/score.  And HOOVER/TTI is the winner!  Say what you like/don't like about CR.  It has 20 million monthly readers.  Maybe more.  Your fave contender is fading fast.........................  2 spots out of 20.  Pitiful.  Shameful.  A $500 plus brand with 20 years vacuum experience in the UK and 9 in the USA can't get it right.  Niche vacuum, at best. 

BTW, need I remind you Sir I predicted here on this thread that HOOVER [and this model specifically] could/would unseat SEARS Progressive for the top spot by CR.  Ye, of little faith!  Fusion and Z were sparring partners.  WT is the Champ!  Still.  Since 1998. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 31, 2009 by CarmineD
Venson

Reply #20   Jan 31, 2009 9:10 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Guys:

Actually, when Tomas21 purchased this H-WT-SP Anniversary edition COSTCO was selling for $150 with a year's supply of allergin bags as part of the Holiday sales.  A great buy.  I've noticed that big box retailers are holding the price on it now at $229.  Most likely will based on the CR ratings.  I believe the CR March editions will be on the news stands this weekend.  I'll have to check and see.  Should please Tomas that his choice was picked by CR too!

Carmine D.

My Costco still has it for $156.00.  Also, Kenmore has the somewhat quieter $350.00 Kenmore Progressive 35922 upright which rates second in line but is considered a "best buy."  Third place, the $80 Tempo matches the WT's scores and is quieter.  All top-five vacuum cleaners were rated as having excellent emission.  The highest priced was the $550.00  Panasonic MC-UG787

Venson
This message was modified Jan 31, 2009 by Venson
CarmineD

Reply #21   Jan 31, 2009 2:54 pm
Venson wrote:
My Costco still has it for $156.00.  Also, Kenmore has the somewhat quieter $350.00 Kenmore Progressive 35922 upright which rates second in line but is considered a "best buy."  Third place, the $80 Tempo matches the WT's scores and is quieter.  All top-five vacuum cleaners were rated as having excellent emission.  The highest priced was the $550.00  Panasonic MC-UG787

Venson

Hello Venson:

The COSTCO here sold out of the WT SP Anniversary model in short order.  It had 2 pallets when I last saw a few weeks ago.  Went back this past week to pick up some movie tickets for my daughter.  Gone.  They'll be back.  Not sure the price when they return. 

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #22   Jan 31, 2009 7:06 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Venson:

The COSTCO here sold out of the WT SP Anniversary model in short order.  It had 2 pallets when I last saw a few weeks ago.  Went back this past week to pick up some movie tickets for my daughter.  Gone.  They'll be back.  Not sure the price when they return. 

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine,

Things appear to move oddly at my local Costco.  It took twenty minutes to finally turn into the store's parking lot a couple of weekends ago.  I asked what was going on when I finally got in and one of the store employees said somebody must have been going around spreading rumors that Costco was going out of business.

For all the waiting it took to get in, the store wasn't nearly as full as I'd imagined.  Lots of people were of course making practical purchases -- staples, other food and toilet paper by the bale -- and I saw a big-screen TV or two being rolled up to the check-out area.  There was also a lot of shopper interest in the section where the books, software, CDs and DVDs are but the vacuum department still is in rather pitiful shape.  Nothing appears to be moving much and, as always, what little there is -- is just there.  There's still the $350.00 Dyson model, the Hoover Wind Tunnel and the Roomba.  The rest is just the latest flavor of the day vapor steam cleaner and a Bissell carpet steamer.  That's all.

I am surprised that more effort isn't made as Costco offers a lot more online.

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #23   Feb 1, 2009 7:03 am
Hi Venson:

For along time, the COSTCO here did not carry the EUREKA Boss Smart Vacuum upright.  After it was included again by Consumer Reports in the top 10 for vacuums in the October 2008 edition, and also a BEST BUY, COSTCO had them for sale again in the store.  Same for HOOVER TEMPO with BEST BUY stores and several other retailers.  Once it returned to the CR top 10, back on retailers' shelves.

When some kow tow CR ratings/reviews [usually those whose fave brand can't cut muster], I remind them:  Observe how all the big box retailers always carry and sell the wares that CR recommends.  Conversely, what does that forebode about the $500 plus vacuum brand that only makes 2 out of the top 20 CR picks? 

BTW, here at COSTCO that $350 dyson is a DC14 Animal [price competes with the SEARS Progressive for $350] once having an MSRP of $549.  This dyson model isn't selling a lick at COSTCO.  Look soon for $100 off at the cash register for $299.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Feb 1, 2009 by CarmineD
HARDSELL

Reply #24   Feb 1, 2009 8:55 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hi Venson:

For along time, the COSTCO here did not carry the EUREKA Boss Smart Vacuum upright.  After it was included again by Consumer Reports in the top 10 for vacuums in the October 2008 edition, and also a BEST BUY, COSTCO had them for sale again in the store.  Same for HOOVER TEMPO with BEST BUY stores and several other retailers.  Once it returned to the CR top 10, back on retailers' shelves.

When some kow tow CR ratings/reviews [usually those whose fave brand can't cut muster], I remind them:  Observe how all the big box retailers always carry and sell the wares that CR recommends.  Conversely, what does that forebode about the $500 plus vacuum brand that only makes 2 out of the top 20 CR picks? 

BTW, here at COSTCO that $350 dyson is a DC14 Animal [price competes with the SEARS Progressive for $350] once having an MSRP of $549.  This dyson model isn't selling a lick at COSTCO.  Look soon for $100 off at the cash register for $299.

Carmine D.

No doubt consumers are suckers.  The boss is recommended then it isn't.  Nothing changed (except CR rating).  CR is a great fiction read.

All this tells me is that most are shopping for price and not performance.  We are all aware that Costco shoppers are not looking for high end goods.

I often wonder why low Dyson prices follow you around.  I never find those deep discounted Dyson prices.  Hoover on the other hand has always been on sale.  If you sell at a discount every day are you really selling at what the retail should be? 

CarmineD

Reply #25   Feb 1, 2009 9:14 am
HARDSELL wrote:
No doubt consumers are suckers.  The boss is recommended then it isn't.  Nothing changed (except CR rating).  CR is a great fiction read.

All this tells me is that most are shopping for price and not performance.  We are all aware that Costco shoppers are not looking for high end goods.

I often wonder why low Dyson prices follow you around.  I never find those deep discounted Dyson prices.  Hoover on the other hand has always been on sale.  If you sell at a discount every day are you really selling at what the retail should be? 

Hi HARDSELL:

Let me address each, if I miss any, let me know:

Firstly, CR can't review all the vacuums all the time.  Even when the EUREKA BOSS was not included in its biannual testing for publication, the BOSS was recommended in the CR yearly edition for BEST BUYs for appliances.  The reason the BOSS is a staple at BEST BUY stores and never discounted.  Consumers, especially during bad economic times, are shopping for value.  COSTCO store club members, at $70,000 plus annual incomes, are among the highest US income shoppers. 

Secondly, the discounted dyson prices are everywhere.  You just have to open your eyes and look.  Choose any big box retailer and you'll find discounted dyson prices abound [10-15-20 percent and more not including buyer incentives].  Always have.  Most especially now with most models being cleared out of stores.  BTW, did you hear dyson sales in 2008 failed to hit $1BN.  Why?  In part discounts!  Dah!

Thirdly, no consumer good's retail price is ever set in stone save what a willing buyer and seller agree.  Goes for your fave vehicle and TV brands too.  MAP is a joke in the vacuum industry.  Always has been and still is.  No different for your fave brand.  Even dyson fans don't pay MSRP for dyson vacuums.  Where have you been?

Finally, what does CR's latest ratings bode for your fave brand?  2 of 20?  Read: Niche vacuum, not mainstream.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #26   Feb 1, 2009 10:14 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hi HARDSELL:

Let me address each, if I miss any, let me know:

Firstly, CR can't review all the vacuums all the time.  Even when the EUREKA BOSS was not included in its biannual testing for publication, the BOSS was recommended in the CR yearly edition for BEST BUYs for appliances.  The reason the BOSS is a staple at BEST BUY stores and never discounted.  Consumers, especially during bad economic times, are shopping for value.  COSTCO store club members, at $70,000 plus annual incomes, are among the highest US income shoppers. 

If CR reviewed the same models all the time sales of their fiction mag would fall.  However, a top pick should be included in each round until it fails.  Assume brand x is in 1st place then in the next round it is not included.  Any of the top picks in the most current review may be better than the previous winner (possibly at a lesser cost).  After all this is sort of like a tournament.  Play until you lose.  $70,000 income group is not a candidate for higher end goods.  Not many of those driving $90,000 vehicles or living in homes exceeding $300,000.  Owning $50,000 speakers and $25,00 of electronics to power them.  The ones who try usually get in financial trouble.

Secondly, the discounted dyson prices are everywhere.  You just have to open your eyes and look.  Choose any big box retailer and you'll find discounted dyson prices abound [10-15-20 percent and more not including buyer incentives].  Always have.  Most especially now with most models being cleared out of stores.  BTW, did you hear dyson sales in 2008 failed to hit $1BN.  Why?  In part discounts!  Dah!

As I said those deep discounts are not visible where I shop/live.  Yes, there are Dyson discounts available.  However, you want the world to believe that other brands don't discount.  Yes, Dyson changes models.  Hoover just rebadges the same old stuff and calls it a neew model.  Is it unusual to see lowered prices on discontinued items?

Thirdly, no consumer good's retail price is ever set in stone save what a willing buyer and seller agree.  Goes for your fave vehicle and TV brands too.  MAP is a joke in the vacuum industry.  Always has been and still is.  No different for your fave brand.  Even dyson fans don't pay MSRP for dyson vacuums.  Where have you been?

I have no problem with retailers selling at the price of their choice.  It is their business that has to succeed.  Never supported vendor dictation of slaes price and hope to never support it.  I never found a product that I couldn't negotiate a lower price.

Finally, what does CR's latest ratings bode for your fave brand?  2 of 20?  Read: Niche vacuum, not mainstream.

I fit in the niche category. I always take performance over hype.  Actually I am in the elite category. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #27   Feb 1, 2009 2:27 pm
I fit in the niche category. I always take performance over hype.  Actually I am in the elite category. 

HARDSELL

So .....what vacuum did you recently buy and are you using these days?  A $98 HOOVER Whisper from Wal*Mart.  Is that your perception of a high end performance over hype product purchase by an elite shopper?  BTW, didn't you get the memo?  There were no dyson bonuses for 2008, not even for James.  And 2009 is looking even worse.  Or did you, and hence the reason for your new HOOVER TTI purchase!

Carmine D.

tomas21

Reply #28   Feb 2, 2009 1:53 pm
For those of you looking for the OEM part to "replace" the existing hose with a 15' long ext hose here is the part no: 43434042.

Hoover Site: EXTRA HOSE ASM COMP       43434042

From Ristenbatt.com

"Extend the reach of your Hoover WindTunnel upright with this extra long wire-reinforced stretch hose. Its great for stairs and reaching into areas where you vacuum can't go. The machine end is 1 1/2" in diameter with two locking pins which hold it in the vacuum. Its attachment end is extra large to fit over the Hoover WindTunnel wands and attachments like the on-board hose does. This hose provides a 20' total attachment reach. (Hose stretched to about 15' plus two wands and the crevice tool.)

This genuine Hoover hose is used instead of their on-board hose on most WindTunnel uprights that use paper bags and Hoover Bagless WindTunnel Self-Propelled uprights manufactured November 2002 or later."

CarmineD

Reply #29   Feb 2, 2009 4:29 pm
Thanks for the info Tom.  Very helpful and useful.  Were you ever in the vacuum business?

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #30   Feb 2, 2009 4:41 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hi Venson:

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine,

I just got this article off the NY Times Online . . .

Let me know if the link fails -- http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/03/business/economy/03econ.html?_r=1&8au&emc=au
Venson

Reply #31   Feb 2, 2009 6:05 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Venson:

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine,

Just got back from Best Buy.  I needed a new external drive but after that was taken care of I went to the vacuum department.  The metallic blue self-propelled version of the WindTunnel upright is sold out there too.  The price is $229.00. The Tempo is in stock and priced at $75.00.

Venson
This message was modified Feb 2, 2009 by Venson
CarmineD

Reply #32   Feb 2, 2009 8:17 pm
Hi Venson:

Link worked.  Doom and gloom ahead.  President Obama may want to reconsider and ask for an official recount!  He's a one termer.  Will be done in by the economic sunami and Hillary Clinton.   She is poised to walk away with the election in 2012.  As the primary Secretary of State she will be more powerful than VP Biden, the alternate SOS. 

Thanks for the info on BEST BUY and HOOVER WT SP and TEMPO.  Those prices $229 and $75 respectively add pressure on the other retailers to price the models similarly.  Peer pressure.  With the favorable ratings from Consumer Reports on these models, selling at the MSRP is justifiable and smart business pricing. 

Carmine D.

tomas21

Reply #33   Feb 3, 2009 12:27 am
CarmineD wrote:
Thanks for the info Tom.  Very helpful and useful.  Were you ever in the vacuum business?

Carmine D.

Never in the biz but a consumer that does diligent research.

CarmineD

Reply #34   Feb 3, 2009 7:02 am
tomas21 wrote:

Never in the biz but a consumer that does diligent research.

This message was modified Feb 3, 2009 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #35   Feb 3, 2009 7:09 am
CarmineD wrote:
Nice work.  Excellent price plus the year's supply of bags.

Carmine D.
CarmineD

Reply #36   Feb 3, 2009 8:22 pm
FYI:

My dear Wife was at Kohl's today and strolled by the clearance aisle and spied a brand new HOOVER WT Powered Hand Tool new in the package.  Original price $39.95.  Clearance: $3.99 [before 30 percent off].  Such a deal!  Only one, and she bought it!  [My Valentine's Day present, she jested.  A MIELE S7 is more to my liking, I parried!  Don't even go there, she retorted.  And I didn't!].

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #37   Feb 4, 2009 8:57 am
CarmineD wrote:
. . . .My Valentine's Day present, she jested.  A MIELE S7 is more to my liking, I parried!  Don't even go there, she retorted.  And I didn't!.

Carmine D.

Keep the faith Carmine.  You've still got a birthday, Father's Day and Christmas.  Right?

Best,

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #38   Feb 4, 2009 12:59 pm
Hi Venson:

There's a reason that Mother's Day comes before Father's Day!  Actually, I have a trump card.  My dear Wife is German!  Immer Besser.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #39   Mar 3, 2009 5:43 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Venson:

Carmine D.

Hi Venson:

The local COSTCO has 2 HOOVER WT's now.  The bagless for $159 and the bagged WT SP for $189.  Not the Anniversary edition but the comparable one in silver with a 3 year warranty.  Both are HOOVER TTI and both made in Mexico like the HOOVER Maytag WT's.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #40   Mar 4, 2009 7:17 pm
Hello Venson:

Happened to be cruising the TARGET on-line vacuum pages [thanks to DIB].  Ironically, 2 of the HOOVER WT vacuums are being added to the on-line and store venues within the next 2-6 weeks.  One, the bagged WT SP Anniversary edition upright [$229] which is rated number ONE and a CR BEST BUY by Consumer Reports in March 2009.  Second, the HOOVER WT Anniversary bagless upright [$159] rated number 8 and recommended by CR.  Coincidental?  Probably not.  It's more like an intentional decision to add these 2 HOOVER models after the favorable March 2009 CR ranks and ratings.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Mar 4, 2009 by CarmineD
Venson

Reply #41   Mar 4, 2009 10:17 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Venson:<p>Happened to be cruising the TARGET on-line vacuum pages [thanks to DIB].  Ironically, 2 of the HOOVER WT vacuums are being added to the on-line and store venues within the next 2-6 weeks.  One, the bagged WT SP Anniversary edition upright [$229] which is rated number ONE and a CR BEST BUY by Consumer Reports in March 2009.  Second, the HOOVER WT Anniversary bagless upright [$159] rated number 8 and recommended by CR.  Coincidental?  Probably not.  It's more like an intentional decision to add these 2 HOOVER models after the favorable March 2009 CR ranks and ratings.</p><p>Carmine D.

Hi Carmine,

I had to run into Costco today and saw they done a stock overhaul in the little vacuum nook. (I'm being polite. Today's tiny and paltry display actually made me sick that I'd ever learned to drive.) The store has suddenly ditched the silver self-propelled Hoover Wind Tunnel for a regular burgundy colored bagless upright WT model at $129.00. The Dyson D17 has reappeared -- though not by customer demand I'm sure when you take a gander at the $429.00 price tag that's been slapped on it. Don't you just love optimism?

My local store also is continuing to maintain the ridiculous $89.00 price on the Electrolux Ergorapido. (They made the mistake of actually for once having one fully charged and on display when I happened in. A useful item I think but for the price versus performance it rates a big, "So what.")

Trying to be different or just plain fishing for dollars I suppose, they have thrown in a Rug Doctor gizmo in the $400.00 rage as well. Roomba is still hanging in $229.00 and the almost obligatory Bissell with the detachable canister plus a "steam cleaner" for carpets also by Bissell. I gave the little vapor steamer by Euro Pro a good looking over and can't understand why it's not selling for $40.00 instead of $70.00.

By the way, I in no way believe that they actually sold every piece of the prior stock they had up for sale. In such cases where would it be sent. To another Costco or Overstock.com?

Best,

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #42   Mar 5, 2009 6:59 am
Venson wrote:
Hi Carmine,

I had to run into Costco today and saw they done a stock overhaul in the little vacuum nook. (I'm being polite. Today's tiny and paltry display actually made me sick that I'd ever learned to drive.) The store has suddenly ditched the silver self-propelled Hoover Wind Tunnel for a regular burgundy colored bagless upright WT model at $129.00. The Dyson D17 has reappeared -- though not by customer demand I'm sure when you take a gander at the $429.00 price tag that's been slapped on it. Don't you just love optimism?

My local store also is continuing to maintain the ridiculous $89.00 price on the Electrolux Ergorapido. (They made the mistake of actually for once having one fully charged and on display when I happened in. A useful item I think but for the price versus performance it rates a big, "So what.")

Trying to be different or just plain fishing for dollars I suppose, they have thrown in a Rug Doctor gizmo in the $400.00 rage as well. Roomba is still hanging in $229.00 and the almost obligatory Bissell with the detachable canister plus a "steam cleaner" for carpets also by Bissell. I gave the little vapor steamer by Euro Pro a good looking over and can't understand why it's not selling for $40.00 instead of $70.00.

By the way, I in no way believe that they actually sold every piece of the prior stock they had up for sale. In such cases where would it be sent. To another Costco or Overstock.com?

Best,

Venson

Hi Venson:

The vacuum venue depends on the wherewithal of the local COSTCO store manager to a large extent.  Some know and do more with the vacuum brands/models and options than others.  I talked with the local COSTCO store manager and he says that new vacuum sales, excluding one brand for $429, are actually good daily movers.  Hence, the addition of the bagless HOOVER WT upright for $159 recently and the EUREKA BOSS Smart Vac upright some time ago.  He said it was no coincidence and/or accident that the HOOVER and EUREKA models were added after the Consumer Reports ranks and ratings.  Keep your eyes open and be on the look out.  I believe the Silver and/or even possibly the HOOVER WT SP Anniversary edition will be showing up in your local COSTCO in the next few weeks.

Not sure about the unsold items.  My gut tells me COSTCO would sell on clearance and/or return to maker for credit/exchange for merchandise more likely to sell.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #43   Apr 14, 2009 3:00 pm
The latest COSTCO advertisement/sale has one and only one vacuum on sale from April 13-May 3, 2009.  The HOOVER WT SP Anniversary Edition.  Price is $199 before a $30 COSTCO customer savings discount coupon.  With a 3 purchase limit.  Includes 2 year supply of bags and turbo tool.  I thought I'd also post a review from an owner/user in Colorado who matches the HOOVER against dyson's DC17.  BTW, this review appears to be dated before the Consumer Reports rated/ranked HOOVER WT SP as the best upright in March 2009.  Enjoy.   Carmine D.

Best vacuum for under $500

Pros: price and performance, hard surface cleaning, wide cleaning area and fits under cabinets
Cons: occasional maintenance and belt repair

Model Number: Hoover Windtunnel Self Propelled, bagged
"Actually, 4.5 stars and on the very edge of being 5 stars. If I could add two features from the Dyson DC 17 it would be perfect. The Dyson could borrow about 20 features from the Hoover. One of the pros is also a con. The vacuum is very mechanical. This makes the majority of repairs very do-it-yourself friendly, but also because of the mechanical nature of the plastic and rubber parts, it tends to need preventative maintenance every 6 months to a year--depending on usage. If you own a screw driver, you can handle the repairs. I have owned 3 of these over the past 12-15 years. While this sounds like a lot, one is still running and I bought the third to replace a $500 Dyson (DC 17 Absolute) paper-weight. While the Dyson, when it was brand new was great on the carpet, at a year old it only has about half the suction it did new (and it’s in the shop). If you have a lot of hard/smooth surfaces (ie wood, tile, etc) the Hoover blows the Dyson away on hard surface pick up. The Hoover is wider (larger cleaning area) and thinner (hence, it fits under most cabinet overhangs—which Dyson doesn’t) The down side is you have to manually adjust the Hoover to the hard surface; the Dyson height automatically adjusts and the brush turns off at the push of a button. If you don’t mind the extra 10 seconds to adjust the Hoover, the cleaning on hard surfaces is far superior vs. Dyson DC 17. I didn't realized how much I liked the light on the Hoover, until I used the Dyson that didn't have a light. I’m very hard on vacuums, I vacuum about 3500 square feet (2500 carpet and 1000 hardwood) 2-3 times a week (thanks to 5 children, 10 and under). The Hoover seems to have destroyed the Dyson on reliability and overall performance. Not to mention, good luck doing any repairs on the Dyson-it has to go to the shop for almost everything because the parts are impossible to find. I have only been able to find the alleged “lifetime filter” (which is useless after a year) online for $20. For $20 a year, I have been able to buy replacement belts and parts to keep one Hoover running for 8 years. Not to mention, the easy availability of Hoover Windtunnel parts. I’ll also take the ease of Hoover bags over the messy Dyson canister any day. From what I’ve read, as a whole, over the long term traditionally bagged out perform bagless. For the price at Costco, if I had it to do over, I’d buy two of these and still have money to go out to a nice dinner, over buying 1 Dyson. Dyson, very impressive on carpet for first 6 months. Hoover, over the long haul, and for the price, hands down winner. I haven’t looked in a couple of years, but last I recall Hoover (Windtunnel bagged) out ranked the Dyson in Consumer Reports."  
CarmineD

Reply #44   Apr 16, 2009 7:56 am
Perhaps not the best for this post, but here it is.

Recently, while at the local BEST BUY store, I was scoping out the vacuums.  Recall I purchased a HOOVER/Maytag TEMPO last fall here for $70.  Well, it appears since the Consumer Reports ratings and rankings, at least this BEST BUY store has increased the price of the TEMPO to $89.99.  Even with that, an excellent buy.

Appears the price is raised across the board for BEST BUY stores.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&id=pcat17071&type=page&st=hoover+tempo&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=15&sp=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960

At least for the HOOVER/TTI TEMPO, we see another result of making the Consumer Reports top ten in upright class.  Higher and firm holding prices.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Apr 16, 2009 by CarmineD
Replies: 1 - 44 of 44View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42