Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > “Anything” Dyson that makes news.

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
DysonInventsBig

Original Message   Jun 28, 2008 12:41 am

Dyson is in the news frequently and so a dedicated thread.

This message was modified Aug 2, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

Replies: 433 - 442 of 624Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Reply #433   Jan 1, 2009 6:20 am
Hello DIB:  HAPPY NEW YEAR 2009!

W*M capitalizes on the demand for less expensive [read: lower prices] foreign made goods.  Why?  Americans are eager and anxious to buy these products.  Using your logic applied to W*M, should we then further assert that the Americans who buy these foreign made goods/products are eliminating US manufacturing jobs?  Yes, most assuredly.  But, whose fault is this?  W*M for selling what US consumers want to buy?  That seems very shortsighted and anti-W*M.  Foreign manufacturers?  Why, for being more competitive than the US?  US consumers?  Why, for saving money?  US manufacturers?  Why, for failing to be competitive with foreign made goods?  Now, that's thinking like a non-government type.  I know what the good marketing professor would say.

BTW, APPLE i [nnovative] Phones are now selling at Wal*Mart stores besides BEST BUY, APPLE and AT&T stores.  Despite Mr. Jobs' longstanding eschewing of Mac discounts and Wal*Mart stores.   What's the saying:  If you can't beat them, join them?  Innovative APPLE joined them.  Survival of the fittest.  APPLE expects the sales of these iPhones at WM stores in 2009 to bolster its sagging sales and profits. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 1, 2009 by CarmineD
Venson

Reply #434   Jan 1, 2009 10:57 am
DysonInventsBig wrote:
... Sounds like Walmart too.  Destroying American manufacturing jobs at a high rate of speed in the name of lowering prices.

DIB

Yeah DIB, but it's us not them.  We run to Wal-Mart.  I've heard of no one who's set out on a shopping trip with a gun to his or her head.  As long as consumers continue to shop without a some sense of awareness as to where their money goes and what it may or may not be supporting, the problem will prevail.

Business of all sizes and shapes may do whatever they like to gain advantage regarding profit but the public makes the final decision on the matter by merely a "yes" or "no"

Best,

Venson.
DysonInventsBig

Reply #435   Jan 2, 2009 2:23 am
Frontline investigation - “Is Walmart Good For America?”
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7726108983919884624
This message was modified Jan 2, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #436   Jan 2, 2009 6:59 am
Hi Venson:

You make an excellent point.  As consumers, Americans vote with their pocketbook.  Case in point for Wal*Mart.  You may have noted that Wal*Mart recently settled some long standing cases involving knucklehead managers and supervisors who denied employees their wages [a sin that cries out to God].  Wal*Mart management IMHO was slow to settle with some cases taking over 8 years.  No excuse for the delay.  I understand investigating the claims first and supporting supervisors and managers, but this was much too much time. 

So what was the impetus for the recent Wal*Mart settlements after so long?  Several reasons.  One in particular which spoke volumes.  According to Wal*Mart sanctioned surveys and studies the lingering cases were costing the company in the bottom line: 2-8 lower sales and profits.   The company decided it was time to do the right thing!  And to its credit, it did.  FINALLY!!!

In the state of Nevada there were over 50 stores and about 1600 employees affected by these cases.  Extrapolate that across the nation for Wal*Mart stores.  Disgruntled employees, and their friends and family not shopping at the stores.  Hurts the bottom line.  More and more over time. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 2, 2009 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #437   Jan 3, 2009 8:11 am
DysonInventsBig wrote:

Hello DIB:

Tho dated, 2006, the PBS FRONTLINE is very good and a provocative presentation.  I presume you dislike Wal*Mart for its push to Chinese [you like to impugn China/Asia] suppliers.  I never noted any contempt for dyson's move to Malaysia [southeast Asia] using an existing "dual purpose" plant  to produce/export dysons globally.  Vice dyson expanding production at the existing Malmesbury UK plant and/or building a new plant [like he wanted to do for the engineering HS] for the effort.   Dyson justified the move/foreign production by saying the labor costs in Malaysia were 30 percent lower than the UK.  I suspect even more.  Then, dyson raised vacuum prices to the consumers rather than lower [as Wal*Mart does and says is the reason for using lower cost Chinese suppliers].  

Surely too you were outraged by dyson's contracts with Wal*Mart to sell 2 exclusive dyson upright models:  DC07 All Carpets in 2003 for $359, and DC07 Original in 2006 for $378?  Wal*Mart and dyson are due for another vacuum contract negotiation, no?  Are you livid and lobbying hard against it? 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 3, 2009 by CarmineD
DysonInventsBig

Reply #438   Jan 4, 2009 2:55 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:

CarmineD wrote:
Hello DIB:

Tho dated, 2006, the PBS FRONTLINE is very good and a provocative presentation.  I presume you dislike Wal*Mart for its push to Chinese [you like to impugn China/Asia] suppliers.  I never noted any contempt for dyson's move to Malaysia [southeast Asia] using an existing "dual purpose" plant  to produce/export dysons globally.  Vice dyson expanding production at the existing Malmesbury UK plant and/or building a new plant [like he wanted to do for the engineering HS] for the effort.   Dyson justified the move/foreign production by saying the labor costs in Malaysia were 30 percent lower than the UK.  I suspect even more.  Then, dyson raised vacuum prices to the consumers rather than lower [as Wal*Mart does and says is the reason for using lower cost Chinese suppliers].  

Surely too you were outraged by dyson's contracts with Wal*Mart to sell 2 exclusive dyson upright models:  DC07 All Carpets in 2003 for $359, and DC07 Original in 2006 for $378?  Wal*Mart and dyson are due for another vacuum contract negotiation, no?  Are you livid and lobbying hard against it? 

Carmine D.

Carmine,

Much is wrong with Walmart.  It is too bad Americans who shop there are not willing or capable of forecasting their future.  But if they had, they would not be in *need/dire need of cheap pricing at any cost.  Americans will certainly be taught this lesson, only after it comes at their expense (aka The High Cost of Low Prices).  My Father has plenty and it is His will that I have plenty and then sharing (investing in others, this country, etc.), this is the road I travel.

As a realist, plenty of product will come from nations much poorer than ours.  The men and women who are Walmart use the con of benevolence to mask it’s their power thirsty, greedy and destructive nature.  It’s called - “mans fallen nature”. 

DIB

*pre-economy collapse

More videos/insight to those men who run Walmart...
http://www.blinkx.com/video/mother-of-dead-soldier-sued-by-wal-mart-for-insurance-money/vtQfcy5P-5QBMEfRArFucQ

http://www.blinkx.com/video/tough-questions-for-wal-mart-propagandist/xIicMAFX0_eslwny

http://www.blinkx.com/video/retail-association-wins-lawsuit-against-state-over-wal-mart-bill/z23PHJpHLhphxS2eSV70SA

http://www.blinkx.com/video/walmart-to-shell-out-up-to-640-million-to-settle-lawsuits/6ZB5kVA4GSNUi_wBt5sbfA

http://www.blinkx.com/video/wal-mart-drops-suit-again-mentally-disabled-person-2-2/RB9DELomGOUZ-K0B2Pk6jg

A commentary and claimed “Dead Dead Peasant' Policy” (F word used much)...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik30ijaBgUA
This message was modified Jan 4, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #439   Jan 4, 2009 4:02 pm
Hello DIB:

You're very smart.  You continue to take Wal*Mart to task by outsourcing to Chinese/Asian suppliers w/o caring that  dyson did the same by moving production from the UK to South east Asia [Malaysia].  With a major difference being that Wal*Mart's business motives are to pass the lower prices onto its shoppers.  

Dyson on the other hand raised its vacuum prices after the move to Malaysia, despite lower labor costs and manufacturing costs.  In fact, Wal*Mart and dyson ended their business relationship in 2005 after W*M stores advertised lower DC07 dyson prices: $319 vice $359.  A $40 savings which benefitted dyson vacuum buyers. 

W*M shops the best suppliers in order to get the best prices for its shoppers.   Dyson shopped for the best suppliers [Malaysia] to get the best prices/profits for dyson by charging higher prices to dyson customers.  If one condemns the effects of W*M's actions on the greater social and economic good, then what should be said about dyson?

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 4, 2009 by CarmineD
DysonInventsBig

Reply #440   Jan 4, 2009 4:37 pm
Carmine,

Unfortunately, you omit Dyson’s pro-Britain/pro-British worker, $100m investment in his factory.  Nor do you tell the story of Parliaments failure to keep British manufacturing British.  Some in Parliament blamed their own government for failing their people and not Dyson, fact.  When Tony Blair responded, he too did not blame Dyson.

Dyson has replaced these 450 factory workers with new hires and spends $100 researching future products.  You support Red-Hoover all the while they eliminate American jobs with no new hires (thus far, it is not reported or can be found).  Nor have I read anywhere where they invest in our country or it’s people.

I applaud Dyson for not falling into the trap of building product with the poor to lower-middle class as its base customer (*Walmarts base customer).  Often times these folks feel entitled to a higher standard of living all the while they have not put in the work, investment, and/or sincerely gotten on their knees and asked for the answer.  Since some in my family and some friends have a background it poverty and/or suffering and/or going against the odds only to ultimately win, I can comment and have a view.

DIB

*pre-economy melt down.

CarmineD

Reply #441   Jan 4, 2009 4:56 pm
DIB:

Like I said, you're very smart.  You spin over dyson's move to Malaysia but condemn Wal*mart for its Chinese suppliers.   Wal*Mart employs over 1.5 million Americans.  By comparison, a considerably greater investment  by Wal*Mart in America//Americans than dyson in the UK.  Surely by your standard, W*M then is just as worthy of the same praise as given you for dyson if  the reasons are investments in people/country.  W*M is the largest company in the world.  It contributes huge tax revenues every year to US local, state and Federal governments' coffers. These tax collections go to the most needy in the US in the form of financial assistance and free services.  During Hurricane Katrina in August 2005, Wal*Mart's trucks were the first to arrive on the natural disaster scenes with food, water, medicine and supplies for the victims.  Long before FEMA. 

The average Wal*Mart shopper earns over $60,000 yearly, up from $40,000.  Wal*Mart now claims a customer base with yearly incomes from low to high.    You are not only "elitist" to impugn the Wal*Mart shoppers as poor with low/middle class incomes, but you are also wrong!

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 4, 2009 by CarmineD
DysonInventsBig

Reply #442   Jan 4, 2009 7:32 pm
CarmineD wrote:
DIB:

Like I said, you're very smart.  You spin over dyson's move to Malaysia but condemn Wal*mart for its Chinese suppliers.   Wal*Mart employs over 1.5 million Americans.  By comparison, a considerably greater investment  by Wal*Mart in America//Americans than dyson in the UK.  Surely by your standard, W*M then is just as worthy of the same praise as given you for dyson if  the reasons are investments in people/country.  W*M is the largest company in the world.  It contributes huge tax revenues every year to US local, state and Federal governments' coffers. These tax collections go to the most needy in the US in the form of financial assistance and free services.  During Hurricane Katrina in August 2005, Wal*Mart's trucks were the first to arrive on the natural disaster scenes with food, water, medicine and supplies for the victims.  Long before FEMA. 

The average Wal*Mart shopper earns over $60,000 yearly, up from $40,000.  Wal*Mart now claims a customer base with yearly incomes from low to high.    You are not only "elitist" to impugn the Wal*Mart shoppers as poor with low/middle class incomes, but you are also wrong!

Carmine D.

Carmine,

I got my poor to lower-middle class info from someone who's friend sits/sat on the Walmart board.  Unlike you, I do not make this stuff up. :) Walmart suits proudly proclaim in videotaped stockholder meetings what a wonderful service they provide and examples of how folks can have 2 extra weeks of food in their cupboards.  They fail to mention how many they destroy to get this 2 weeks of food.  Surely if legal, Walmart would gladly doze my home so it could then be sold as scrap to help lower their costs and the timber can be used to warm their needy.  Sorry Carmine, profit taking, selfish group of men and women are not going to redefine what is good.  Nor are they nearly as righteous as you would allow yourself to believe.

Dyson bellied up with $100m to open a factory and to keep Britons working, bottom line is, he tried.  I bet there is not a single document anywhere outlining Walmart trying to save manufacturing in America and it’s countless number of jobs (directly/indirectly).

DIB

Replies: 433 - 442 of 624Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42