Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
budmattingly

Eureka Model 260
Original Message   Dec 29, 2008 8:28 pm
Hi,

I just won a Eureka Model 260 from Ebay. Does it take the regular round eureka belt? Also does anyone know what amp motor is in it and are new ones available. Even a higher amp motor? This is a two speed automatic with a green bag and white trim with gold around the light. Any info on this model would be appreciated. Some additional questions, I would like to try and restore this to be a daily driver.

The brush roll has the square ends. Would a vibra groomer II with square ends work?

Would the new sanitaire wheels that are readily available work on this model?

The bag is in excellent shape according to the pictures, but may need a new gasket or gasket  ring and tube. I know these are available for sanitaires and am assuming this would work on the 260?

I purchased a new cord sleeve for a new cord (it has a hoover convertible cord on it.) I also have a new two speed switch for it.

What size motor is in this model? Are new motors available? even one with a higher amp. (must be a two speed)

Thank You for any help you can give me

Bud Mattingly

Replies: 11 - 20 of 20Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Lucky1

Re: Eureka Model 260
Reply #11   Jan 2, 2009 2:21 pm
Bud
I've been using a hand Steam Cleaner on many of my parts to dislodge grime. Because the steam evaporates immediately, I believe you might be able to use it on metal parts. PM me if you want more info.
Lucky
budmattingly

Reply #12   Jan 17, 2009 6:06 pm
Update on Eureka Model 260.

It's been to the vacuum shop. The throat on the inside of the bag that holds the f&g paper bags, has two small holes. The vac shop tried hot glue in one, but didn't work. My idea of taking a sanitaire coupling that has the zipper in the back isn't going to work. The bottom of the latch base is wider than the fitting on my model 260, so I cut the throat out and took it into the vac shop with my bag. They don't want to try it and I can't do it. My last resort is duct tape. What are your opinions or suggestions.

Thanks,

Bud

CarmineD

Reply #13   Jan 17, 2009 6:48 pm
Hi Bud:

What options did the vacuum store owner/operator give you?

Carmine D.

budmattingly

Reply #14   Jan 17, 2009 7:29 pm
Carmine their option was to

Buy a new red sanitaire bag with the bag clamp that takes the f & g bags. My bag is mint other than the 2 small holes. I wanted to buy that bag and have them use the bag clamp and fill tube on my original bag. They said it would not work...One thing is the the bag retainer on the bottom of the sanitaire bag would have to be cut down as it will not fit  in the slot on the bottom of the 260. The top of the bag clamp would work fine.

I was really hoping this would be an easy fix.....

CarmineD

Reply #15   Jan 17, 2009 7:40 pm
Bud:

Someone with the right sewing machine can patch the holes in your bag as good as new.  With the right needle you could stitch by hand with some time and effort.  Seek out a shoe repair and/or a place that does clothes alteration.  Take your bag with you.  Ask if they can sew/stitch the holes and/or patch with a leather cuff.  Good luck.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #16   Feb 4, 2009 8:26 am
Hello Bud:

Don't know if you were successful, but I read an article recently and thought of you and your dilemma.  A cobbler in Miami, only 7,000 left today vice 120,000 during the Great Depression, said he fixes everything except broken relationships.  Sounds like a 1959-60's EUREKA outer bag would be an easy fix!

Carmine D.

budmattingly

Reply #17   Feb 19, 2009 7:46 pm
One more question. I know everyone says to keep my 260 as close to original as possible, but while it was in for a tune up, a piece of the steel that serves as the rug plate was broken off. If I take the metal strips off, will a regular rug plate fit. Before anyone says no, I saw another 260 on ebay after mine, but I was ill at the close of that auction and didn't get to bid. It had a Eureka rugplate on it, but don't know what it took to make it work. Any info would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

Bud

CarmineD

Reply #18   Feb 19, 2009 7:55 pm
Hello Bud:

I'm confused about what is broken off, so I can't assist you with an answer.  Can you clarify what exactly is broken?

Carmine D.

budmattingly

Reply #19   Feb 19, 2009 8:21 pm
Carmine, it is the metal that surrounds the brush roll housing. The metal strips are fastened with screws every so often and go completely around the housing. This is the best I can describe it. I could email you a picture of the bottom if you want. My email address is rmattingly2@cinci.rr.com.

Thanks,

Bud

CarmineD

Reply #20   Feb 20, 2009 6:45 am
Hi Bud:

A pic would assist.  I'll email you and if you would, please send me a pic.

Carmine D.

Replies: 11 - 20 of 20Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42