Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > “Anything” Dyson that makes news.

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
DysonInventsBig

Original Message   Jun 28, 2008 12:41 am

Dyson is in the news frequently and so a dedicated thread.

This message was modified Aug 2, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

Replies: 408 - 417 of 624Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Reply #408   Dec 24, 2008 5:17 pm
It's nice to be an inventor but useless without business smarts/luck and/or both.

WRT dyson school, politicians aka bureaucrats, get the pulse of the people and act accordingly.  There  is a clear message in the local government's decision to nix the dyson school.  If dyson and his fans don't get it, they need a reality check.  Even if they do get it, they need a reality check to win on the second go around else they will lose again!

No dyson bonuses.  2 legal loses from the ASA.  Nixed by the Bath government on the dyson engineering HS.  Worse global economy in over 50 years.  Dyson sales down 30 percent from the previous year.  Not much good news.

Merry Christmas, DIB!

Carmine D.

This message was modified Dec 24, 2008 by CarmineD
DysonInventsBig

Reply #409   Dec 26, 2008 5:37 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Well Mr. Do Gooders:

Having spent some time in Washington DC, I learned that being right and doing good is often low on the totem pole for guaranteeing a done deal.  You have to schmooze the powers that be who control the power strings.  You do it with business savvy and smarts.  Not by impugning, demeaning, and mocking the powers with the authority to rule on your wishes any way they like.  Dyson dumb and arrogant.

Carmine D.

Carmine,

It is clear you know little to nothing of this Dyson School saga or how Sir James was asked by the British government for help, led on, and then later to be mistreated.  After spending $6m of his own monies, promoting the school around the world, spending years of his life on this dream... in the end, he held his composure remarkably well, as good men do.

DIB
This message was modified Dec 26, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #410   Dec 26, 2008 5:54 pm
DIB:

As I said here before, what I know about the school, I read here from posters like you who posted the info.

In the final analysis, if you want something bad enough, nothing matters except getting it done.  Dyson didn't.  We can expound on the reasons, blame others for it, and make up excuses for the failure.  Doesn't change the outcome.  If dyson proceeds the same way in the future, it will most probably strike out once again.

Politicians, aka bureaucrats, get the pulse of the people before giving the nod.  Regardless of the worthiness and benefits.  If the people want it, the Bath decision would reflect that.  If the people are against it, a reason[s] are made up to scrub it.  From what I read here from the UK posters, the electorate was divided almost split down the middle both for and against.  When that's the case, there's something called "schmoozing" that comes into play to "win" a favorable ruling.  No "schmoozing" no deal done. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Dec 26, 2008 by CarmineD
DysonInventsBig

Reply #411   Dec 26, 2008 6:06 pm
CarmineD wrote:
It's nice to be an inventor but useless without business smarts/luck and/or both.

WRT dyson school, politicians aka bureaucrats, get the pulse of the people and act accordingly.  There  is a clear message in the local government's decision to nix the dyson school.  If dyson and his fans don't get it, they need a reality check.  Even if they do get it, they need a reality check to win on the second go around else they will lose again!

No dyson bonuses.  2 legal loses from the ASA.  Nixed by the Bath government on the dyson engineering HS.  Worse global economy in over 50 years.  Dyson sales down 30 percent from the previous year.  Not much good news.

Merry Christmas, DIB!

Carmine D.

I'll just tackle the above highlighted - An inventor who builds a solution others are willing to pay for, all without having any business sense or desire can sell or licensee their widget and go on to be a millionaire/multi-millionaire and this widget/reversed engineered copies can make billions (for the assignee mfg. and the innovative lazy mfgs.).  Not a bad payday for the non-business minded inventor as compared to some occupations.  Although some may consider walking to the mailbox ever 3 months collecting royalty checks dull and exhausting. 

DIB
This message was modified Dec 26, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #412   Dec 26, 2008 6:15 pm
Hello DIB:

Years and years ago, I had a retired insurance company executive as a professor for my first college level marketing course.  He said that you can invent a better mousetrap and wait for people to beat a path to your door to buy it.  Or, you can advertise, hire a team of sales people and sell it.  James Spangler invented the first portable upright vacuum cleaner in 1907.  But, it wasn't called a Spangler, it is called a HOOVER.  

Carmine D.

This message was modified Dec 26, 2008 by CarmineD
DysonInventsBig

Reply #413   Dec 26, 2008 6:46 pm
CarmineD wrote:
DIB:

As I said here before, what I know about the school, I read here from posters like you who posted the info.

In the final analysis, if you want something bad enough, nothing matters except getting it done.  Dyson didn't.  We can expound on the reasons, blame others for it, and make up excuses for the failure.  Doesn't change the outcome.  If dyson proceeds the same way in the future, it will most probably strike out once again.

Politicians, aka bureaucrats, get the pulse of the people before giving the nod.  Regardless of the worthiness and benefits.  If the people want it, the Bath decision would reflect that.  If the people are against it, a reason[s] are made up to scrub it.  From what I read here from the UK posters, the electorate was divided almost split down the middle both for and against.  When that's the case, there's something called "schmoozing" that comes into play to "win" a favorable ruling.  No "schmoozing" no deal done. 

Carmine D.

Carmine,

Your still guessing of the facts and assuming Dyson did not correspond in a smart, kind, business manner with the politicians and others.  He did.  And he backed it up with much money and time too.  Look around, do you see any other inventors that have been asked by the British Government to build such a school?

The project was doomed from the beginning due to the unelected "Heritage" powers (servants to historical structures, not building economies, etc.) that had much say in the matter.  These delay tactics worked, eventually the Government (federal?) gave up and pulled out, Dyson then voiced his frustrated concerns for his countries lack of inventiveness and influencing kids (future students) to this end.

After Sir James was treated grievously early on in the developing process, I was surprised to see him continue to trust (the city officials and powers) that it would all work out (for the kids).  The City of Bath's greater majority mostly wanted the school in their city, it was the old buildings and constructing new buildings that were at issue (from what I understood, it is an old, quite city).  The City of Swindon’s mayor (if memory is correct) scoffed in disbelief at how the City of Bath was treating Sir James and tried to woo Mr. Dyson to his city.  But Dyson had his heart set on Bath.

The only pulse a politician has a feel for in these modern times are results from polling and alike.  The intuitive or God-led or greater-good and not poll-driven politician is now a rare breed.

DIB
This message was modified Dec 27, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #414   Dec 27, 2008 7:03 am
Much pent up hostility.  And naivete.  A simple fact:  Historical significance always trumps all other causes.  Nothing is more sacrosanct than history.  James chose the wrong site.  Basta, end of story.  Blame it on poor advice and/or lack of planning.  Whatever.  James didn't know when to cut his losses [contra rotating washer].  When defeat is inevitable, accept it graciously. 

On a similar note, follow the "Trumpster's" efforts and actions to get a luxury golf course/retreat in the historic wild life preserve of Ireland's serene untouched countryside.  Do you think inventing is creating business opportunities from scratch where no one else dares to tread?  Like say Las Vegas?    It takes guts, gusto and a get it done attitude.  MOST IMPORTANTLY, business smarts.  The Donald has it!  

Carmine D.

This message was modified Dec 28, 2008 by CarmineD
DysonInventsBig

Reply #415   Dec 28, 2008 9:28 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hello DIB:

Years and years ago, I had a retired insurance company executive as a professor for my first college level marketing course.  He said that you can invent a better mousetrap and wait for people to beat a path to your door to buy it.  Or, you can advertise, hire a team of sales people and sell it.  James Spangler invented the first portable upright vacuum cleaner in 1907.  But, it wasn't called a Spangler, it is called a HOOVER.  

Carmine D.

Carmine,

Your professor was dead wrong of “wait[ing]”, but of course he is an insurance man and is subject to an insurance mans mentality.  After he misinformed a young person (you), did he then try to convince you of the infinite and sweet upsides to the many worthless insurance products he sold/once sold.

DIB
This message was modified Dec 28, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #416   Dec 28, 2008 4:40 pm
Hello DIB:

His point was you can't sit back and wait.  You have to get out and sell. 

He was not in the sales end, he was part of upper management.  Tho, he held sales persons in all fields in the highest esteem.

I wasn't so young at the time.  I was one of the older crowd in class.  He respected and liked me because I was in business before becoming a college student. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Dec 28, 2008 by CarmineD
M00seUK

Reply #417   Dec 28, 2008 5:52 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Finally!  Dyson has posted much video, pic's and related telling his, his companies, his fellow inventor/engineers/designers stories and pays tribute to many others too.

4 pages worth...
http://www.dyson.co.uk/insidedyson/#

Thanks for pointing this change out. The use of Flash to present information like this is usually tedious at best, but this Dyson example is quite good.

There's lots of stuff there that even a borderline Dyson obsessive like myself didn't know. If you're new to the world of Dyson, you could literally spend hours here.

Videos of dust mites
http://www.dyson.co.uk/insidedyson/#dustmitezoo

See them move and everything!

Things we never launched
The Dyson tank vac:-
http://www.dyson.co.uk/insidedyson/#thingsweneverlaunched

Our family had a VAX 'tank' cleaner at about the time Dyson were looking in to this area. They were popular, the tagline from the TV adverts "The best selling vacuum cleaner that Washes, washes, washes...." True to the write up, the novelty of waiting until the summer to shampoo your carpets soon wore off.

DC06 robot vac
http://www.dyson.co.uk/insidedyson/#dc06

Really good segment, with a number of videos of the machine that haven't been seen before.

Inventions
http://www.dyson.co.uk/insidedyson/default.asp#inventions

Sound absorbent screens, developed by Dyson engineers to filter out human voices - crazy! Dunno about the implied fact that only James Dyson's thumbprint has access all areas around the HQ - but it's certainly true that the workforce as a whole is kept isolated. For example, if you were working in marketing on a certain product, you'd be allowed access to 'the basement' to talk to the people working on your product, but you wouldn't be able to see what else might be going on.

Research, design and development
http://www.dyson.co.uk/insidedyson/default.asp#rdd

Nice video - 'gotta love that giant robot arm!

Dyson HQ
http://www.dyson.co.uk/insidedyson/default.asp#dysonhq

'...there's no air conditioning - displacement ventilation is used to blow cool air in at floor level while warm air naturally rises and is dispersed through vents in the roof'

I remember some years back, the account of a journalist who turned up to interview James Dyson, who was witness to an air conditioning engineer protesting that it wasn't possible to do what James was asking. James was proclaiming "But we want FRESH air", before asking him to go off and think about it again. Clearly, it was somehow resolved!

Replies: 408 - 417 of 624Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42