Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > The Oreck vacuum and everything you wanted to know (hopefully)...

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
DysonInventsBig

The Oreck vacuum and everything you wanted to know (hopefully)...
Original Message   May 29, 2008 12:41 pm

ORECK - The business, the history, the machine, the man and related.

(Below: Oreck 1979 to 2008)

< yr. 1979  < yr. 5/2008

This message was modified Oct 30, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

Replies: 224 - 233 of 258Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: The Oreck vacuum and everything you wanted to know (hopefully)...
Reply #224   Dec 1, 2008 2:39 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
What has Oreck offered? 

You have to ask?  Okay, here it is again.

The first and original 9 pound lightweight upright vacuum made in the USA and the choice of discerning hotels, motels, and households for over 45 years!  With a free no obligation 30 day in home trial use period and a network of 500 Clean Home Centers nationwide for service, parts and support.  If not completely satisfied, return at no expense and keep the giveaways. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Dec 1, 2008 by CarmineD
mole

Reply #225   Dec 1, 2008 4:12 pm
Hi Carmine, D.I.B., H.S.

Since where we are doing a little soul searching,

QUESTION, for the forum members to answer,dealers ,non dealers , wholesalers,distributors, vac people non vac people.repair guys and sales people,industry bean counters ETC.

If a customer comes into your place of business and wants an upright and has 700+ to spend on a cleaner,
You sell and stock MIELE, RICCAR,SEBO,DYSON, LINDHAUS,SIMPLICITY, HOOVER, SANITAIRE,ORECK
Would you sell them the vacuum that has the most profit in it or the right one that they need?[and feel a lot better with yourself] knowing you did RIGHT BY THE CUSTOMER,

MOLE
This message was modified Dec 1, 2008 by mole
HARDSELL

Reply #226   Dec 1, 2008 4:19 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Big Guy:

The flaw in your logic is that this statement is not a hypothetical for ORECK.  ORECK actually sells for $735/$750 all the time.  Has for years.  And guess what:  Consumer Reports rates this $750 model in the top 10 uprights.  Contrarily, how many of your fave brand are bought/sold for $2000?  NONE [with and without giveaways]! 

A product my friend is worth whatever willing buyers and sellers agree in a bona fide business transaction.  If ORECK buyers/users are happy with their $750 ORECK purchases, they keep them.  If not, they do what you did: Return them at no cost and expense.  Simple, easy and it works.  Just like the ORECK-s.

Carmine D.

Selling price and value are not always the same.  Notice your second paragraph.  It is what it can be sold for and not what it is worth.  Unfortunately CR doesn't vacuum my home so their opinon is useless to me.  Why did you not mention Oreck before Hoover was swept away.  Your rear must still ache from the kicking that Dyson gave you.

Trying to twist again I see.  Dyson is no different than Oreck as long as the customer is happy.  They are as easily returned after 30 days as the Oreck.

Regardless of brand most vacuums are over priced. 

HARDSELL

Reply #227   Dec 1, 2008 4:30 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Were they?  Certainly, there are newer and more expensive alternatives.  But replaced?  With better and more productive items, no less?  Who said, you said!  Beauty my friend is in the eyes of the beholder.   My Wife and I saw a driver in a black model T Ford on the strip in Vegas this past weekend.  He and it were the envy of everyone in sight.  Everyone watched him/and the Model T pass.
I never mentioned beauty Carmine.  Pay attention.  1 Model T seen as opposed to how many thousands of others?  That is replacement.  Big difference in show cars and performance cars.  Get mole to explain what a performance car is.

People haven't stopped walking, using public transportation, buying/using candles, and/or kerosene.  Not in over 100 years.  Not ever.

Gotta admit that all the above are the minority.  Maybe you should add condoms to your list.

Classics never die.   They live, are loved and are sought after forever.  You don't change the classics.  You embrace them.  They  make us proud.  At least most of us!  There are always exceptions. 

Tell the modern farmer about how much more productive an old MM of A C farm tractor is than his modern one.  He will enjoy your ignorance and get a good laugh.  Yes,  classics are great for memories, nothing else.

Carmine D. 

HARDSELL

Reply #228   Dec 1, 2008 4:34 pm
mole wrote:
Hi Carmine, D.I.B., H.S.

Since where we are doing a little soul searching,

QUESTION, for the forum members to answer,dealers ,non dealers , wholesalers,distributors, vac people non vac people.repair guys and sales people,industry bean counters ETC.

If a customer comes into your place of business and wants an upright and has 700+ to spend on a cleaner,
You sell and stock MIELE, RICCAR,SEBO,DYSON, LINDHAUS,SIMPLICITY, HOOVER, SANITAIRE,ORECK
Would you sell them the vacuum that has the most profit in it or the right one that they need?[and feel a lot better with yourself] knowing you did RIGHT BY THE CUSTOMER,

MOLE

MOLE,

You know that I have never been in the business.  Carmine would sell like and ice cream vendor.  The flavor of the day would be what replaced the previous failure that he promoted.

mole

Reply #229   Dec 1, 2008 4:49 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
MOLE,

You know that I have never been in the business.  Carmine would sell like and ice cream vendor.  The flavor of the day would be what replaced the previous failure that he promoted.

Are you sure about that?

Would you buy a vacuum cleaner from Carmine?[If you did not know it was him]  talk about a loaded question,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

MOLE
HARDSELL

Reply #230   Dec 1, 2008 5:10 pm
mole wrote:
Are you sure about that?

Would you buy a vacuum cleaner from Carmine?[If you did not know it was him]  talk about a loaded question,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

MOLE

Nope. Too much BS smell outside his shop.   Even if I got inside I would know it was his shop.  Who else would try to sell only outdated goods.  I buy performance for work and relics for display.

CarmineD

Reply #231   Dec 1, 2008 5:42 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
MOLE,

Carmine would sell like and ice cream vendor.  The flavor of the day would be what replaced the previous failure that he promoted.

HARDSELL wrote:
Nope. Too much BS smell outside his shop.   Even if I got inside I would know it was his shop.  Who else would try to sell only outdated goods.  I buy performance for work and relics for display.

Hi MOLE:

I'm always dismayed when others speak for me.  Why?  They always mis-speak by imputing their own opinions and not mine.  Let me clarify for you my good friend.

ORECK [the hokey on a stick as you say] was never on my venue until my dear Wife used one that was demo'ed at a friend's vacuum store, long after I retired from the store business.  She loved it.   Who would have thought?  After HARDSELL consistently bad mouthed ORECK here, I knew I had to buy/use in my home.  Then, in April 2007, the US Humane Society offered a special deal through ORECK on a brand new XL Classic for $150.  I bought and used one in my home [after a new dyson DC07 pink failed].  I liked the ORECK so much, I bought 4 more before the year was over and gifted them all away.  And the users rave about them.

I was a successful vacuum cleaner sales and service store owner/operator for over 40 years in the same location.  Why?  I carried and sold vacuum products, both new and used, that my customers wanted, could afford, and worked well for them and their needs.   And I backed everything I sold new/used personally and professionally.  At times, even after the warranty expired.  Plus, I gave discounts to the seniors and others in need before it wasthe  "in" thing to do.  When I retired from the vacuum business in 1992, I sold it to another vacuum man [a former Kirby dealer] who is still in the same location.  The vacuum store is an area landmark going on 60 years in 2009.  Whatever I did, and the buyer/owner after me, must work.

Carmine D. 

HARDSELL

Reply #232   Dec 1, 2008 6:35 pm
CarmineD wrote:

Hi MOLE:

I'm always dismayed when others speak for me.  Why?  They always mis-speak by imputing their own opinions and not mine.  Let me clarify for you my good friend.

ORECK [the hokey on a stick as you say] was never on my venue until my dear Wife used one that was demo'ed at a friend's vacuum store, long after I retired from the store business.  She loved it.   Who would have thought?  After HARDSELL consistently bad mouthed ORECK here, I knew I had to buy/use in my home.  Then, in April 2007, the US Humane Society offered a special deal through ORECK on a brand new XL Classic for $150.  I bought and used one in my home [after a new dyson DC07 pink failed].  I liked the ORECK so much, I bought 4 more before the year was over and gifted them all away.  And the users rave about them.

I was a successful vacuum cleaner sales and service store owner/operator for over 40 years in the same location.  Why?  I carried and sold vacuum products, both new and used, that my customers wanted, could afford, and worked well for them and their needs.   And I backed everything I sold new/used personally and professionally.  At times, even after the warranty expired.  Plus, I gave discounts to the seniors and others in need before it wasthe  "in" thing to do.  When I retired from the vacuum business in 1992, I sold it to another vacuum man [a former Kirby dealer] who is still in the same location.  The vacuum store is an area landmark going on 60 years in 2009.  Whatever I did, and the buyer/owner after me, must work.

Carmine D. 

MOLE,

As I said the flavor of the week.  He sold what was best in his opinion.  Can you imagine a pro whose wife had to show him a better product.  If Oreck ceases I wonder what will be his next flavor and who will have to tell him what it is.

Sounds like what he sold required lots of repairs.

No wonder the business still exists.  Too expensive to clean up all the BS left behind and make a new business.

CarmineD

Reply #233   Dec 1, 2008 6:48 pm
Hello HARDSELL:

GIve people choices, never just one, and let them decide.  If you want to compare vacuum brands to ice cream, then some like vanilla, others chocolate and others strawberry.  Some like all three.  Still others like one flavor for a long time, get tired of it, and change to another.  And/or go back to the original and/or change to still another.  Who says that people can like and buy only one to the exclusion of another?   In fact, only about 10 percent of the buying public fall into this category [loyal to one brand].  People are like fingerprints.  All different.  I was successful in the vacuum business in good/ bad economic times because I sold and serviced all makes and models, not just one. 

The ORECK-s [$150] work great for me, the others I gifted them to, and for the donee with my old stored dyson DC07 pink [$399].  Which didn't work properly on my and their medium pile wool looped carpets.  Performance my friend speaks volumes about product value.  Not high prices. 

Carmine D.

Replies: 224 - 233 of 258Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42