Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > “Anything” Dyson that makes news.

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
DysonInventsBig

Original Message   Jun 28, 2008 12:41 am

Dyson is in the news frequently and so a dedicated thread.

This message was modified Aug 2, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

Replies: 378 - 387 of 624Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
DysonInventsBig

Reply #378   Nov 30, 2008 5:41 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hi DIB:

I know the concept is fairly simple for me to grasp.  I can't speak for others.  I ask questions of these persons and companies [not throwing rocks as you call it] that buck the tide.  Like this one: "When all the global economies of the world are at their worse levels in over 70 years, and all the largest and oldest companies in business are reducing costs/cutting employees to steer the ship and stay afloat, how does dyson, which makes functional household products and sells at luxury prices, increase new hires by 18 percent?"  

You're absolutely right.  Somebody here doesn't grasp the concept.  Who do you think it is?  James and dyson and/or all the rest of the people, countries, and the companies around the world?

ORECK and BISSELL are two of the oldest companies in the industry.  Some may say BISSELL, with its carpet sweepers, started the vacuum industry.  And certainly ORECK with 45 years of cornering the market on lightweight uprights has earned a well deserved reputation for success in this industry.  Far be it for me to throw rocks at them.  I'll leave that for others, who don't grasp this concept, if they are so inclined. 

Carmine D.

Hello,

Because many can and do run smooth, respectable operations daily, I find substituting Oreck's reputation for innovation a poor excuse.  Oreck needs to quit whining (much marketing dedicated) of Dyson and out-innovate him and advertise that.

Dyson runs a smooth, respectable operation also (despite what his enemies say) and brings to market new innovations vice Oreck, who sells tired product (vacuums) or tired product with lipstick - i.e. the XL Platinum.

To speculate of new hires and/or manufacturing expansion or tooling... it is obvious Mr. Dyson wants to reintroduce or introduce for the first time a new washing machine and certainly a dryer (for those countries who use dryers). Perhaps this is what he is doing, I hope so.  I have no opinion of timing, yet certainly if a washer and dryer can be innovated radically better (made more economical to run/green) perhaps now or in the near future will be a good time gear up and launch such products.

DIB

CarmineD wrote:
Nov 17, 2008 2:51 pm
Hello DIB:

Most persons look kindly and favorably on buying/using affordably priced practical products made by companies with 45/100 years of history in an industry. 

Much more than they do with "innovation" and "steerability" as reasons [excuses] for justifying past/future expenditures on overpriced products.  All in an effort to charge more for fair to average performance disguised with spiffy colors and see-thru dirt bins.  Especially in hard economic times:  Consumers want practical affordable products to use.  Not ones that are pricey, pretty, and look like fun to use. 

Carmine D.  ...

Hi Carmine,

I trust you and yours had a nice Thanksgiving.

I was wondering if you (or anyone) could explain the Oreck discrepancies? - That is, it is common knowledge the appliance basic design is decades old and yet Oreck Canada claims - “Always on the cutting edge of product innovation...”  So where are these cutting edge (vacuum) innovations?  I could not find any info on Oreck's sites that promotes building "affordably priced practical products", only vacuums selling for $300 to $600-*$700 and touted as “Always on the cutting edge of product innovation.”

https://www.oreckcanada.com/estore/xl_deluxe_reconditioned.asp

Thanks,
DIB

*($700 prior to economic slow-down)

This message was modified Nov 30, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #379   Nov 30, 2008 6:03 pm
Hello DIB:

Thanksgiving was wonderful.  A day to give thanks to God, who alone is our hope.

Our Moderator likes to say:  What's old is new again!  I like to say:  What's old is cool again!  Like ORECK!

I posted more details on the ORECK thread.  Wouldn't want to diminish the value of your favorite inventor, his products, and all his newsworthy escapades here with ORECK praise.  BTW, say hello from me when you meet with him/cronies about your 2008 bonus.  Slim pickens this year.  With all the new hires, salary/dividends cuts, and the worse economic conditions the world has seen in over a half century, bonus money is non-existent. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Dec 1, 2008 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #380   Dec 2, 2008 7:04 am
HARDSELL wrote:
DIB,

As everyone knows I have always been pro Dyson.  I will repeat that I feel it is priced too high.  I could say that if JD gave up on his other projects he could reduce the price of his vacuum.  Most any vac costing over $200 is over priced IMHO.

Hello HARDSELL:

I brought this over from the ORECK thread, if you don't mind, because it belongs here not there.

I am not pro-dyson tho I wholeheartedly agree with you, a self-proclaimed fan, that dysons are overpriced, overengineered and overrated.  Much to the chagrin of a huge dyson fan I say dyson should focus on its core vacuum business and divest the others.  Others here have made the point that dyson has to constantly overengineer and add new technologies to keep product prices inflated.   

You add that all vacuums over $200 are overpriced in your opinion.  I agree for dyson.  Its price range should be $150-$250 among retail store venues, not $399-$599.  Sadly, dyson can't afford to sell vacuums at these lower price points.  If it did, it would probably lose the big box retail stores' business and go bust.  Even if it didn't, it wouldn't be able to finance its other efforts.  Unfortunately, with the current economic times, big box retailers are finding vacuum sales at $400-$500 are a HARDSELL.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Dec 2, 2008 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #381   Dec 2, 2008 6:21 pm
HARDSELL wrote:

We have repeatedly heard that Dyson did not work on your builder grade carpet.  Speaking of builder grade items.  Did you ever get that builder grade plasma that was gifted with the home replaced or repaired?

Hello HARDSELL:

Since this is primarily a dyson newsworthy topic couched in a question I moved it with my response to this thread. 

My carpets and TV are great.  Thanks for asking.  Turns out the sensors failed prematurely in the LG TV because my granddaughters like to play with the remote.  Gotta love them.  I mentioned that with the assistance of an electronics wizard I have a work around now to keep this from happening in the future.  And it was free!

BTW, since my experience with the Mohawk carpets and dyson in my home, I see that Mohawk, perhaps others too, won't warranty their carpets with dyson use.  Here's a Web Site with the info.

http://www.my3cents.com/showReview.cgi?id=41167

Carmine D.

This message was modified Dec 3, 2008 by CarmineD
DysonInventsBig

Reply #382   Dec 5, 2008 1:05 pm
I get vacuum cleaner news pushed to me via Google news alerts.  James Dyson and his vacuums make up the greater majority of talk via news, blogs, forums, online magazines, etc.  It is comical how many vacuum manufacturers cannot deliver needed and measurable innovation and so they miss much free publicity the 15 year old Dyson LTD so enjoys and profits from.

Today's pushed news or alike I copied/pasted from my email alert...

Dyson DC24 Vacuum Review
Reviewboard Magazine - Chicago,IL,USA
Young and old, in good shape or a bit weak -- this portable vacuum cleaner (within your home) is a great addition to the Dyson line. Dyson’s vacuum cleaners ...

See all stories on this topic
http://www.reviewboard.com/2008_holiday_buyers_guide/4024-Dyson-DC24-Vacuum-Review.html

The Five I’s of Building Wealth
Motley Fool - USA
James Dyson became a billionaire by developing the bagless vacuum cleaner. His idea was initially rejected because it was seen as hurting vacuum bag sales. ...

http://caps.fool.com/blogs/viewpost.aspx?bpid=116278&t=01003357133075050748
This message was modified Dec 5, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

Venson

Reply #383   Dec 10, 2008 2:49 pm
Hi,

Just thought I'd throw this in the mix.  His lordship's heading for court again -- and  the product is not even in the stores yet . . .

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/3702987/Sir-James-Dyson-in-High-Court-attempt-to-see-off-rival-vacuum-design.html

'Tis the season to be jolly?

Venson
This message was modified Dec 10, 2008 by Venson
CarmineD

Reply #384   Dec 10, 2008 3:08 pm
Hi Venson:

Dyson does have a way of shooting itself in the foot.  First, moving production to Malaysia in 2002 and losing the UK vacuum market in 5 years.  Now suing Japanese Samsung over a yet to be released product/just a patent for it.  Regardless of the legal outcome, dyson will lose its second best vacuum market in the world: Japan.  Talk about marketing suicide?  When will dyson ever learn?  Sooner or later you can't sue the pants off your competitors, because they longer have pants.

Carmine D. 

mole

Reply #385   Dec 10, 2008 3:14 pm
Whats the big deal,who cares, why cant we be friends,why cant we be friends,why cant we be friends,

MOLE

Venson

Reply #386   Dec 10, 2008 3:22 pm
mole wrote:
Whats the big deal,who cares, why cant we be friends,why cant we be friends,why cant we be friends,

MOLE

Because . . .

"They say the best things in life are free
But they can give 'em to the birds and bees.
I want some money, a whole lot of money.
I want some money -- that's all I want."

Wish I'd wrote that.

Venson
This message was modified Dec 10, 2008 by Venson
M00seUK

Reply #387   Dec 10, 2008 3:30 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi,

Just thought I'd throw this in the mix.  His lordship's heading for court again -- and  the product is not even in the stores yet . . .

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/3702987/Sir-James-Dyson-in-High-Court-attempt-to-see-off-rival-vacuum-design.html

'Tis the season to be jolly?

Venson

The subtext to all this would be good to know. I presume that Dyson, having invested in their own 3-stage (level 3 root) cyclone technology, don't want someone else sharing the limelight.
They won the legal case with the Hoover UK 'TriClone' on a strong point - they could demonstrate that blocking one of the cyclones actually improved the performance. It sounds a similar situation with Samsung. But, Samsung had a patent for a three-stage cyclone granted first? Both patents are described as being similar, so if Samsung happened to get there first, with no prior art, what could Dyson's case possibilly be? Or is the comparision that Samsung's 3-stage cyclone doesn't improve separation as dramaticly as Dyson's 3-stage, as thus they don't want them having an unfair marketing advantage?
Replies: 378 - 387 of 624Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42