Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Dyson plastic in models DC01 upto DC05

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
bucks03

Dyson plastic in models DC01 upto DC05
Original Message   Nov 23, 2008 10:59 am
Hi

I have a Dyson DC04 which has had various parts break.  One complaint I have is the main spine of the machine broke a while back which meant either a new machine or a whole new duct that needed to be put on ,  I chose a new duct so had the 1 hour job of moving the motor, switch etc etc over to the new body of the machine.  This had to be done as this part held the handle in place.

Anyway 6 months down the line this part has started to get crack marks in the same location again, not sure how long before it breaks again.   This is due to the strong suction of the machine and obviosuly the machine cannot handle being pulled back and sucking so hard onto the floor. 

Has anyone else had bad experience with Dyson parts breaking.  Would very much like to hear comments.     BTW I have a Dyson DC16 handheld, the plastic on this seems to be better made (more softer)

Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
Trilobite

Re: Dyson plastic in models DC01 upto DC05
Reply #1   Nov 23, 2008 5:36 pm
Yes, I had issues with the then newly released DC01 'Absolute' upright.

The physical shock of trundling the machine over wooden threshold strips between rooms (on the same level - no steps or height differences) caused the lower half of the motor housing to crack badly at the wheel axle mountings.. The first model was replaced by Dyson's postal service; the second did exactly the same, so it was replaced by the shop with an Electrolux 'Powersystem'.

Never had problems with Hoover uprights going over the threshold strips.

The HEPA filters in the DC01 'Absolute' and 'De Stijl' were very flimsy, the pleated parts perforated after a very short period of time.

Trilobite

Reply #2   Nov 23, 2008 5:46 pm
When the DC07 was released, I bought one. On unpacking it, I discovered that there was a piece of plastic broken off the floor head at the hinge point. This missing piece prevented the cleaner leaning too far forward. So I took it back to the shop. The only other identical new model on display, had a fault too. The bin was broken in some way. So I offered to take a cobbled together machine, consisting of the good part of the display model and the cyclonic assembly from my returned model.

A couple of other people that I know think that Dysons are rather fragile machines.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #3   Nov 23, 2008 6:40 pm
My DC15 is almost 4 years old and has never broken (anywhere).  My (1st) neighbor's DC07 has never broken, my (2nd) neighbor's DC18 has never broken, my moms DC18 has never broken, I know 2 moms (our kids go to school together) who's DC07's have never broken.  Our schools accountant uses a DC17 and it has never broken.  All I ever here from these folks is - "I love my Dyson." and/or "I cannot believe how much it picks up".

Can your spine be fixed once and for all using a splint (epoxy and metal splint)?        DIB
This message was modified Nov 23, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

mole

Reply #4   Nov 24, 2008 9:07 am
DysonInventsBig wrote:
My DC15 is almost 4 years old and has never broken (anywhere).  My (1st) neighbor's DC07 has never broken, my (2nd) neighbor's DC18 has never broken, my moms DC18 has never broken, I know 2 moms (our kids go to school together) who's DC07's have never broken.  Our schools accountant uses a DC17 and it has never broken.  All I ever here from these folks is - "I love my Dyson." and/or "I cannot believe how much it picks up".

Can your spine be fixed once and for all using a splint (epoxy and metal splint)?        DIB

Hey D.I.B. is your DYSON contract up for renewal??????????????????

MOLE

DysonInventsBig

Reply #5   Nov 24, 2008 11:33 am
He and I will be talkin soon.

bucks03

Reply #6   Nov 24, 2008 1:42 pm
DIB  I tried Plastic glue on the old spine and this workied for a short while.  I think I will just get rid of next time and get a DC25 or DC24 as Im planning on moving into a room in London and wont need a big vacuum cloeaner.  Its just annoying that I need to treat that machine like it is cotton wool. Though I am impresssed with the motor reliabalilty etc etc.
DysonInventsBig

Reply #7   Nov 24, 2008 6:32 pm
bucks03 wrote:
DIB  I tried Plastic glue on the old spine and this workied for a short while.  I think I will just get rid of next time and get a DC25 or DC24 as Im planning on moving into a room in London and wont need a big vacuum cloeaner.  Its just annoying that I need to treat that machine like it is cotton wool. Though I am impresssed with the motor reliabalilty etc etc.

Buck,

Check out this video of James beating up a DC24 (the ball cover pops off, but no damage).  Allow the video to load - the page behaves/looks like there is no video until it downloads.        DIB

http://www.crunchgear.com/2008/06/25/video-james-dyson-runs-his-own-durability-test-on-a-dc24/
This message was modified Nov 24, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

DC18

Dyson, Sebo and Bissell user

Reply #8   Nov 24, 2008 7:31 pm
Can't say that I had any issues with my earlier Dysons DC01, DC03 and DC04, with any of the plastic parts breaking or cracking from use.  I know it has been mentioned here before Dyson used different plastics\materials in the earlier Dyson models to what is used now!  

DC18

Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42