Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Brand New Singer SST

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
vaclov

Brand New Singer SST
Original Message   Nov 11, 2008 2:33 pm
I won a brand new Singer SST  Twin fan vacuum on Ebay. For some reason I have always wanted one of these babies ever since I first saw one at my daycare which was nearly 20 years ago. I believe it was this vacuum that started my fascination with vacuum cleaners. Anyway I turned it on and the suction on it is ridiculous, especially on high speed, but my question is, which is the normal mode to vacuum, is it high or low?
Replies: 1 - 10 of 10View as Outline
Venson

Re: Brand New Singer SST
Reply #1   Nov 11, 2008 2:56 pm
Hi Vaclov,

It depends on what you're doing. For the average direct air upright, high is good for heavy traffic areas or a really dirty rug. Low speed is good enough if you're an everyday or every other vacuumer. It also cuts the noise factor some. Despite the twin fans, this type upright did not, at least as I recall, get much praise from CR.

An interesting point is that the big kid on the block back in the day, the Hoover Convertible, had two speeds but the lower speed was always used for rug cleaning. The highest speed could only be accessed by inserting the attachment converter. However, this was chaned later on. This also applies to Kirby.

Have you checked for blockages and is the bottom plate locked on properly?

Regards,

Venson
vaclov

Reply #2   Nov 11, 2008 4:54 pm
Yep I did check to make sure there were no blockages, it seems like the vacuum was probably used as a store display, because when it arrived it was basically brand-new, it even had that fresh out of the box odor.  Overall I feel its a great vacuum that could have been a lot better with a well designed brush roll. I'm going to try and not use it much because the parts for vacuum are no longer available. Pictures of it are below:

http://img378.imageshack.us/my.php?image=singsst2xz2.jpg

This message was modified Nov 25, 2008 by vaclov
Vacuuman

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Reply #3   Nov 22, 2008 11:31 pm
The vacuum I remember from pre-school was a Windsor Versamatic, but I do remember seeing someone vacuuming a jewelry store in a mall with one of those Singers back then too.  Seems like such a long time ago, but it really hasn't been...
vaclov

Reply #4   Nov 25, 2008 10:14 am
Very interesting piece of info found. The modern day twin fan vacuum >
I wonder if its possible that the parts can be interchanged with the Singer, it has twin fans and two inlet paths as well.
CarmineD

Reply #5   Nov 25, 2008 1:15 pm
According to the BISSELL Web Site, the Pro-Lite is no longer available.  And the video is not too.

http://www.bissell.com/Products/c/UprightVacuum/p/ProLite/product.aspx

Carmine D.

This message was modified Nov 25, 2008 by CarmineD
Vacuuman

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Reply #6   Nov 26, 2008 12:53 am
Aaaah, but that machine is now made by Tacony and sold thru their commercial lines (Powr-Flite, CFR, and Tornado), and all that I know is interchangeable is the motor/fans.  Parts ARE available, just not from Bissell.
CarmineD

Reply #7   Nov 26, 2008 6:42 am
Hello Vacuuman:

Hello Number One Son of Charlie Chan:  The story within the story!  Thank you for the info.  Do you have any experience with this particular Tacony model and what are your thoughts and the price, please?  Who made for whom?

If I recall correctly, and will look back to verify, a poster recently wrote here about the $150 Tornado Lightweigt.  The poster was quite impressed by it.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Nov 26, 2008 by CarmineD
Vacuuman

Reply #8   Nov 26, 2008 11:22 pm
I don't have any personal experience with it, but I know Bissell made it for themselves, and now Tacony is using the design since Bissell stopped making it.  The reason is that Tacony had been selling the same lightweight for  both their household and commercial lines.  The commercial lines were selling the machine cheaper, and many dealers were unhappy about that, so to avoid further complaints they needed a new L/W to sell in the commercial lines, this one became it.
CarmineD

Reply #9   Nov 28, 2008 6:51 am
Hello Vacuuman:

Thanks for the info.  Here is the post from another thread/user about the Tacony LW with the Tornada brand:

Re: Best Upright Vac for less then $200.00
Reply #53   Nov 14, 2008 6:10 pm

I have quite a few Vacuums to say the least.I lost my leg above the knee so I am very limited on what I can push.I HATE HATE baggless vacuums and all my Vacs are self Propelled or in the Oreck class.I just bought a Powr-flite twin fan 8 pound Vacuum its made by Tacony.People might rember it as the Bisslle Prolite but Tacony bought the rights of the design because Riccar/Simplcity dealers were mad.Why buy a the same Vacuum and pay double the price for the name.The Vacuum puts out 160 CFM and the specs they have on there site are wrong its not a 5.5 Amp motor.Mine says 7 Amps on it so that part I dont understand and Tacony wont tell me why.That Vacuum is very powerful I got mine off of Betty Mills it was 161 bucks but came with bags and free shipping.Its got a 50ft cord and the brush roll is very stiff and the belt to narrow.The fix to that is to get Oreck belts the real ones and it works great there is a light socket but hidden under the plate.I ordered the lens and light for under 12 bucks from Bisslle.I went and tested the Oreck Xl21 and dont get making a bigger machine with a bigger fan and having and 3.5 Amp motor in it.When the Plain Xl has a 4 Amp..I forgot to state that the Vacuum is under the Tornado name at BettyMills.....

Appears that lightweights with an emphasis on reducing vacuum weight and mass are all the rage now.  Many of the big box retailers during the Thanksgiving sales devote most of their vacuum advertising space to compact/LW vacuums and sticks.  This could be the result of the economic times too.  Smaller in many cases means less price and more affordable.

I suspect if MIELE produces a lightweight version of its new S7 line [from 20 to 15 pounds], it would be a lock on the L/W upright market.

Tho, I like Venson's idea, save for the above Tornado poster.  Scrub the annual gym membership and use the 20 pounder.  Whenever you would go to the gym, vacuum instead.  Cleaner, healthier home and save money.

Carmine D. 

This message was modified Nov 28, 2008 by CarmineD
Actionvac

Reply #10   Dec 5, 2008 3:49 pm
Put a fresh tight belt on that sucker as the one on it prolly slips and allows the vacuum to suck itself to the floor you goyt to have aggitation or you can not push a powerfull direct air vacuum
Replies: 1 - 10 of 10View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42