Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > “Anything” Dyson that makes news.

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
DysonInventsBig

Original Message   Jun 28, 2008 12:41 am

Dyson is in the news frequently and so a dedicated thread.

This message was modified Aug 2, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

Replies: 323 - 332 of 624Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Reply #323   Nov 5, 2008 8:47 am
Hello HS:

I see. You dislike one product type of a brand so you write off all the brand's products.  Do you use the same logic [some might say illogic] for models within a brand?  For example, you said you don't care for a DC14 hence the reason you didn't buy one and you don't buy any new dyson models?  Apply to vehicles to?  Don't like the Cadillac Cimmaron [overpriced Cavaliar with Cadillac badging], so you dislike the Cadillac El Dorado, Fleetwood?  Use toyota models if you like.  Have to like them all, to buy anyone?  Doesn't leave much room for error.  All or nothing at all.  Simply amazing, my good friend!  Now I know why you call yourself HARDSELL.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Nov 5, 2008 by CarmineD
DysonInventsBig

Reply #324   Nov 5, 2008 12:26 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello DIB/HS:

HS:You never opened the ORECK purifier to use it before returning.  You relied on other users to return it instead of testing it out yourself.  I see.  Do you use the same practice for buying vacuums and vehicles?  Don't bother to test drive but rely on others to make up your mind for your actions?  You're simply amazing!  But not in a good way like ORECK amazing!  

When I picked up the same KOHL's supplement from today's local newspaper, I noticed that the new DC25 ball model was substituted for the DC17 Animal in the KOHL's ad.  MSRP of $499 before 15, 20, and/or 30 percent off.  Latest and greatest discounted over dyson MAP and not even a Holiday sale.  Amazing!  That's sure to squelch alot of sales by BEST BUY stores of DC25 Animals which launched this week for $549.  I wonder what dyson rep approved that KOHL's dyson model switcheroo?  I know.  It's pay back for BB pulling the old switcheroo of the DC18 for the DC24 on the end cap space!

DIB: I admire your enthusiam for all things dyson and understand your denial about the dyson ball models and dyson niche sales.  We agree to disagree to quote you.  I enjoyed reading the story and the pic with the gentleman stealing a dyson DC14 from a TARGET store.  Thanks for posting.  But again I have to disagree with you on the thief's motive for stealing a dyson vice another brand.  Simple, my friend:  The dyson carton carrying handle!   Easier and more convenient!  I'm sure the thief was thinking: Thank you, dyson!

DIB replied:  You had no response to my niche inroads Dyson enjoys. What is not a niche but obvious is the global shaping Dyson has contributed. Dyson is responsible for the clear bin type bagless phenomenon which is probably 50% of the worlds vacuum market. I'll say it again and all say it a little differently... any manufacturer running a clear bin on a vacuum is doing so because of James Dyson.

There is plenty of documentation (online news sources, police reports, video, images) of Dyson's and only Dyson's being the number one stolen vacuum. I've posted many times and from many different news sources demonstrating these Dyson thefts, yet you deny it. - You can deny it, you cannot disprove it.

I wonder what the felon's punishment will be?  Perhaps vacuuming the TARGET store [first time offender] and/or jail [repeat offender] with a bagged Dirt Devil? 

Here's a call out to the public defender/lawyer who handles the case.  I'll be a defense witness.  I'll provide expert industry evidence that a DC14 is overpriced.  Starting with Consumer Reports, then HS and MH's opinions of a DC14 [not nearly as good as a DC07], then the recent ASA ruling that sanctioned industry tests prove that the Electrolux Infinity's performance [MSRP $299] beats a DC14, and finally Vacuumfreeeke's posts about his purchase of a used DC14 for $100 on ebay.  The man will walk free.  The judge/jury will throw in a free dyson refurb for his trouble.  Why?  The man's sentence will be to vacuum and dump the dirt bin daily for 30 days.  After that, he'll never steal another dyson again.  Even with the nice carton carrying handle.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Nov 5, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #325   Nov 5, 2008 3:04 pm
Hello DIB:

The first clear dirt bin I recall in the USA vacuum market goes to the EUREKA bagless Whirlwind.  I'm sure you'll say EUREKA copied dyson, which at the time was still a homegrown UK product.  Note now that EUREKA's latest Capture uprights use color tinted bins to accent the color schemes of the vacuums.  I like the latter better than the nasty clear bins.   Did dyson ever sue over the copying?

I do recall you posting about several dyson vacuum thefts.  Matt mmc AirBlade even used this as the excuse for KOHL's stores to stock dysons in the warehouses rather than on the shelves.  I have to wonder what kind of person would risk stealing vacuums, even your fave brand of dysons.   Any answers/intelligence forthcoming to the question?  Has dyson taken any actions to preempt the pilferage?

Carmine D.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #326   Nov 5, 2008 4:15 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello DIB:

The first clear dirt bin I recall in the USA vacuum market goes to the EUREKA bagless Whirlwind.  I'm sure you'll say EUREKA copied dyson, which at the time was still a homegrown UK product.  Note now that EUREKA's latest Capture uprights use color tinted bins to accent the color schemes of the vacuums.  I like the latter better than the nasty clear bins.   Did dyson ever sue over the copying?

DIB replies: Carmine, all cyclonic clear bins are based on Dyson's work. 50% of today's market use Dyson's discovery. This phantom or make-believe Eureka clear dirt bin you speak of as yet to come up amongst collectors and patents. The historian I spoke to of this question said there was a sight glass but no clear bin or clear cyclonic bin prior to Dyson. It is what it is.

I do recall you posting about several dyson vacuum thefts.  Matt mmc AirBlade even used this as the excuse for KOHL's stores to stock dysons in the warehouses rather than on the shelves.  I have to wonder what kind of person would risk stealing vacuums, even your fave brand of dysons.   Any answers/intelligence forthcoming to the question?  Has dyson taken any actions to preempt the pilferage?

DIB replies: Carmine, feel free to get into the psyche of thieves and what motivates them. All I know is what is evident, it's good for most but not you.

Carmine D.

Here's a link to vacuum theft at Bed Bath. While it does not state if they were Dyson's, in the past  Dyson's were frequently stolen from Bed Bath and made news...
http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20081103/NEWS05/811030310/1002/NEWS

More...
http://www.concordmonitor.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080924/NEWS01/809240375/1043/NEWS01

CarmineD

Reply #327   Nov 5, 2008 5:21 pm
Hello DIB:

Sight glass in a dirt bin?  Never heard of it.  Any proof forthcoming?  Perhaps a model name/number?  Lest your historical source be confused with the clear soft plastic on the Lewyt Speed Saks from the 50's.  

I presume, not sure so I asked, that you are making a point that even among thieves dysons are in demand.  Concluding that this is proof of their sales popularity/success.  This suggests that you, based on thieves' actions and motives, impute intrinsic value to dyson vacuums as marketable commodities.  They're vacuums, not works of art.  My thoughts on the matter are that dyson vacuums are overpriced.  And the thieves [especially those who are caught on surveillance cameras] are not very bright. 

I have a rhetorical corollary question to your hypothesis.  If thieves who steal dysons are not too bright then what does one conclude about the people who buy them?

Carmine D.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #328   Nov 5, 2008 5:53 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello DIB:

Sight glass in a dirt bin?  Never heard of it.  Any proof forthcoming?  Perhaps a model name/number?  Must be confused with the clear soft plastic on the Lewyt Speed Saks from the 50's.  The EUREKA Whirlwind bagless used a clear dirt bin long before dysons hit the USA.  In fact, with yellow/black [depending on the model] bin components [same as your fave brand].  Perhaps your unnamed source is too young to remember?  Or too old, and forgot?

Here's my thoughts about motivations [thieves aside].  You posted on several occasions here about dyson thefts as did Matt mmc Airblade.  I presume, but not sure so I asked, to make a point that even among thieves dysons are in demand.  Somehow presuming that is proof for their popularity and success.  I have difficulty with an extrapolation that is based on thieves' actions and motives: That dyson vacuum thefts are tied to intrinsic value of them as commodities.  They're vacuums.  The only underlying point for their pilferage is that they are overpriced.  And thieves [especially those caught on surveillance cameras] are not too bright.

Carmine D.

Hello Carmine,

In you are professional opinion, the clear low efficiency bin that's on 50% of all vacuums sold today are based on the Eureka Whirlwind and not on the success of Dyson's discoveries and popularity?

Overpriced is an opinion, being  so-called "overpriced" is not reason enough to steal Dyson's. Demand for his technology is.

Below is a link to a husband and wife team who advertise and/or auction Dyson's on eBay, get an order, go to Target and steal the vacuum/s, only to drive directly to UPS to ship the stolen vacuums.  Something some say here is not happening.  Watch for the video clip too.
http://www.wxyz.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=a212ce44-acef-41cb-807b-eaaf9d6b54f6

CarmineD

Reply #329   Nov 5, 2008 6:04 pm
Hi DIB:

Clear bagless dirt bins are based on practicality:  Wanting to see the dirt inside the bin to know when to dump.  Nothing to do with whose first and who copied whom. 

I see your point now.  Let me paraphrase:  Thieves steal dyson vacuums because they understand the underlying value of dyson technology [intrinsic is the word I used] and want to profit by it.  It's not the fact that dysons are overpriced and the thieves are not very bright.  

I disagree with you.  Vacuum thieves could care less about innovation, root technology, shrouds and clear bins.  You may care and want to impute your feelings into their motives.  Then further conclude that their actions are proof of dyson's success and popuIarity.  I find it all laughable.  Sadly, you don't.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #330   Nov 5, 2008 7:20 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello DIB:

Sight glass in a dirt bin?  Never heard of it.  Any proof forthcoming?  Perhaps a model name/number?  Lest your historical source be confused with the clear soft plastic on the Lewyt Speed Saks from the 50's.  

I presume, not sure so I asked, that you are making a point that even among thieves dysons are in demand.  Concluding that this is proof of their sales popularity/success.  This suggests that you, based on thieves' actions and motives, impute intrinsic value to dyson vacuums as marketable commodities.  They're vacuums, not works of art.  My thoughts on the matter are that dyson vacuums are overpriced.  And the thieves [especially those who are caught on surveillance cameras] are not very bright. 

I have a rhetorical corollary question to your hypothesis.  If thieves who steal dysons are not too bright then what does one conclude about the people who buy them?

Carmine D.

Actually the thieves are brighter than you Carmine.  If you had a shovel and a lawn mower in your yard do you think the thief would take the shovel and leave the mower.  Most thieves are buying for a hasty resale.

Now do I steal a $59 Hoover and get $10 for taking the chance or do I stesl a $400 Dyson and sell it for $50 to $100.

Persons buying Dysons have a superior intelligence to those buying electric brooms.

CarmineD

Reply #331   Nov 6, 2008 6:01 am
Hello HARDSELL/DIB:

I beg to differ with you HS.  If the vacuum thieves had superior intelligence and were bright, as you say, they would figure out a way to take $50 vacuums and sell them for $400.   Not the other way around.  James did the former.   He's bright.  He does it legally.  Very good marketing and cheap [Mal] ASIAN  labor.  

The thieves in these stories are doing the latter.  Stealing $400 plus vacuums with all the risks and legal consequences to sell for $50 to $100 [your prices].  Probably asking prices.  More like $25-$50 cash in these hard economic times, if and when the thieves can find buyers.  Especially with the dyson refurb market legally pricing for $150 plus on the Internet.  The risk now legally is not worth the little reward.   Especially for vacuums!  No resale/entertainment value!   

Sorry dyson campers, I don't impute/conclude any esoteric motives and meanings to the vacuum thefts as you like to do.  To me, just stupidity and the gullibility of the thieves who are also duped by all the hawking/hyping to risk life and limb for chump change. 

Here's my conclusions on the thefts:  James Dyson has single handedly spawned a brand new criminal enterprise in fenced dysons by selling overpriced vacuums in big box retail stores.  What is he/dyson doing to preempt the pilferage?  Surely, a smart man and company with billions will not let itself be outwitted by a few dumb desperate felons.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL wrote:

Actually the thieves are brighter than you Carmine.  If you had a shovel and a lawn mower in your yard do you think the thief would take the shovel and leave the mower.  Most thieves are buying for a hasty resale.
Actually, my friend you're not [very bright].  Here's a true answer to your question.  Think....I live in the desert.  Grass doesn't grow in the desert.  There's no rain/water.  My yard is sand, rock, and stones.  I don't own a lawnmower.  I own a shovel.  So, the thief by default would have to steal the shovel.  
This message was modified Nov 6, 2008 by CarmineD
DysonInventsBig

Reply #332   Nov 6, 2008 12:51 pm
Carmine,

Your unending attempts to re-define reality in the name of bad-mouthing Dyson the man, the company and products would be funny if you were not serious, but you are.  Slaving to Dyson envy and jealousy is not serving you well.        DIB

Replies: 323 - 332 of 624Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42