Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > “Anything” Dyson that makes news.

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
DysonInventsBig

Original Message   Jun 28, 2008 12:41 am

Dyson is in the news frequently and so a dedicated thread.

This message was modified Aug 2, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

Replies: 311 - 320 of 624Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
HARDSELL

Reply #311   Nov 4, 2008 9:35 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hello HARDSELL:

I still own and use my ORECK XL Classic and plan to upgrade!  You cashed out your free dyson refurb, haven't bought a new dyson ...............................

The HOOVER WT cleaned/groomed my rugs the best.  The ORECK is a very close second.  BTW, the HOOVER TEMPO for $70 matches the HOOVER WT performance in just about all respects save weight/bulk.  It's lighter and less bulky than the WT.  Nice vacuum for the price and duly impressed.  I notice more retailers with HOOVER TEMPO models in their own exclusive colors too.  Must be a sign of the hard economic times and falling vacuum sales.  Looking forward to NPD numbers.  I suspect vacuum sales will be down again in 2008.  Second straight year in a row if it happens.

Carmine D.

Carmine,  did you have to retract what you said about Honda sales exceeding Toyota?  Seems that Toyota sold about 60% more cars in Oct. 08.  Honda is down 25% YTD vs 23% for Toyota.

I know how you like to discuss market share.  Toyota has 18.1 and Honda 10.2 %

Canada reported 1.7% increase in auto sales for Oct.  Toyota up 9.4 % from a year earlier and Honda up 1%.

Could it be that you are also wring on Dyson sales?    

CarmineD

Reply #312   Nov 4, 2008 12:31 pm
Hello HARDSELL/Dusty:

You're right HS,  I like to look at market share and stock prices.  But I prefer trends over time.  One month, one quarter, one year doesn't make a meaningful business trend.  It took the oligopoly almost 40 years to get to where it is today.  Same same for sales of vehicles and vacuums. 

I did not post a Review on the DC07 pink here.  I suspect if I were to do so, mine would bring the star rating down.  I do not Review any vacuum products here on this Site that I dislike.  However, when I'm asked and/or I read a post that I agree/disagree with about a certain product, I will post here on the Discussions.  If that's trashing a product, so be it.  Mea culpa.  I prefer to say I offer constructive criticism with charity.  Why?  My star ratings [if fair/poor] don't get tallied in the overall product score, which most readers see and use for comparative purposes.  And as you said HS my opinion counts the same as others.  NO more, no less.  Like my vote today!

To date, I've only posted Reviews here of vacuum products that I buy, use and like.   I will probably continue that practice.  Unfortunately, I haven't liked any of the dyson products to date enough to post a Review here. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Nov 4, 2008 by CarmineD
HARDSELL

Reply #313   Nov 4, 2008 1:53 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello HARDSELL/Dusty:

Your choice of colors is very patriotic.  Is that a reminder to vote.  One month, quarter, year does not make a trend.  Recall it took the oligopoly almost 40 years to get to where it is today.   Honda is poised to do well.  Ta ta to toyota. 

BTW, I did not post a Review on the DC07 pink here.  I suspect mine would bring the star rating down.  Nor do I review any products that I don't care for here on this Site.  However, when I'm asked/read a post that I agree/disagree with about a certain product, I will post here on the discussions.  If that's trashing a product, so be it.  I prefer to call it criticism with charity.  Why?  My star ratings [if fair/poor] don't get tallied in the score, which most readers see and use for comparative purposes.  To date, I've only posted Reviews here of products that I buy, use and like.   And I will probably continue that practice.  Unfortunately, I haven't liked any of the dyson products to date enough to post on the Reviews here. 

Carmine D.

In your original statement that you hastily edited you said that Honda sales were exceeding Toyota's.  Now that I have presented accurate facts you want to do the toilet dance.  Sales are lagging and Toyota is #2 in the U.S. and # 1 in Japan.  Is this like when you told us that Hoover was poised to overtake Dyson?  If I recall Dyson is still standing and Hoover was bailed out.  I am sure glad that Toyota is not poised to do well if your idea of doing well is the same as it was with Hoover.

I know, reviews are useless       unless they favor your argument.  Don't you think all others know that about you by now?  I haven't liked Oreck any more than you like Dyson. 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I see that you have already edited the above post also.  This is the original statement (n red).  It took Hoover how long to get where it was and then it failed.

Hello HARDSELL/Dusty:

You're right HS,  I like to look at market share and stock prices.  But I prefer trends over time.  One month, one quarter, one year doesn't make a meaningful business trend.  It took the oligopoly almost 40 years to get to where it is today.  Same same for sales of vehicles and vacuums. 

I did not post a Review on the DC07 pink here.  I suspect if I were to do so, mine would bring the star rating down.  I do not Review any vacuum products here on this Site that I dislike.  However, when I'm asked and/or I read a post that I agree/disagree with about a certain product, I will post here on the Discussions.  If that's trashing a product, so be it.  Mea culpa.  I prefer to say I offer constructive criticism with charity.  Why?  My star ratings [if fair/poor] don't get tallied in the overall product score, which most readers see and use for comparative purposes.  And as you said HS my opinion counts the same as others.  NO more, no less.  Like my vote today!

To date, I've only posted Reviews here of vacuum products that I buy, use and like.   I will probably continue that practice.  Unfortunately, I haven't liked any of the dyson products to date enough to post a Review here. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #314   Nov 4, 2008 2:22 pm
Hello HARDSELL:

Editing is allowable and easy to do.   I do it often.   I try to make posts stay on topic and improve readabilty for all who post here.  Not just the poster[s] to whom I'm addressing/responding, who may be off topic like you.

One of the reasons I bought the new ORECK was you.  While I was never a huge ORECK fan, tho my dear Wife is, I was struck by your consistent negative and impugning comments [and it cost you nothing after you returned it plus you kept the freebies].  I paid for my new dyson DC07 pink from TARGET, it was not a free refurb.  I gifted it away.  The donee is not using for the same reasons I didn't.  I hope it has collectible value in a few years.

So being suspicious of your ORECK motives, when I was confronted with the opportunity to buy a new ORECK for $150, I did.  Liked it so much I bought and gifted 3 more away.  They are equally impressed with their ORECK-s.  I will keep/upgrade my ORECK XL.  I already gifted away my 2 year old HOOVER WT, which I liked, and will gift away HOOVER TEMPO, which I also like, to a needy cause/person on the Holidays.  But the ORECK is a keeper in large part due to you my good friend.  Thanks. 

Will you ever buy yourself a new dyson?  Now is the time.  Sales are lagging.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #315   Nov 4, 2008 2:39 pm
This message was modified Nov 4, 2008 by HARDSELL
HARDSELL

Reply #316   Nov 4, 2008 2:45 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello HARDSELL:

Editing is allowable and easy to do.   I do it often.   I try to make posts stay on topic and improve readabilty for all who post here.  Not just the poster[s] to whom I'm addressing/responding, who may be off topic like you.

One of the reasons I bought the new ORECK was you.  While I was never a huge ORECK fan, tho my dear Wife is, I was struck by your consistent negative and impugning comments [and it cost you nothing after you returned it plus you kept the freebies].  I paid for my new dyson DC07 pink from TARGET, it was not a free refurb.  I gifted it away.  The donee is not using for the same reasons I didn't.  I hope it has collectible value in a few years.

So being suspicious of your ORECK motives, when I was confronted with the opportunity to buy a new ORECK for $150, I did.  Liked it so much I bought and gifted 3 more away.  They are equally impressed with their ORECK-s.  I will keep/upgrade my ORECK XL.  I already gifted away my 2 year old HOOVER WT, which I liked, and will gift away HOOVER TEMPO, which I also like, to a needy cause/person on the Holidays.  But the ORECK is a keeper in large part due to you my good friend.  Thanks. 

Will you ever buy yourself a new dyson?  Now is the time.  Sales are lagging.

Carmine D.

Once again you spout off with no facts.  I purchased the Oreck air cleaner when I purchased the XL21.  Returned it all including freebie.  I do not even remember what the freebie was.  That should tell you that I had absolutely no desire to own anything named Oreck.

Seems that Dyson is not the only vac lagging in sales or offering deep discounts.  In fact the local stores do not advertise Dyson discounts nor do they have discounts posted in store.

CarmineD

Reply #317   Nov 4, 2008 5:29 pm
Hello HARDSELL:

Thanks for the info about the ORECK Air Purifier.  I didn't know that factoid.  I'll have to take a closer look at the ORECK purifier now.  I might be in the market.  Is it made in the USA?  

You're not looking hard enough HS but nice to know you're looking.  This week TARGET stores have an advertised sale on the DC24 ball for $399 with a $50 Gift Card withn purchase.  Kohl's has an advertised sale starting tomorrow thru Nov 12 on DC14 and DC17 Animal.  MSRP of $399 and $549 respectively before 10, 15, 20, and/or 30 percent off depending on your mailer.   Just to mention 2 retailers with dyson sales.  Stay tuned.  More to come, I'm sure.  It's not even the Christmas sales season yet. 

Doesn't look like COSTCO will have any dysons on sale for Christmas.  Not sure if they even have them on the shelves anymore.  Like Wal*Mart stores, dysons will be hit or miss.  Probably carry and sell whatever they can get the best deal on from dyson.  New ball models may be on the Web but not in the W*M stores if my source is correct.  Probably DC14 and DC18 models at W*M stores.  These models won't be hot sellers for the Holidays, they're too old.  Those that would buy, bought already.  So they will have to be at really enticing prices.  COSTCO will have the new Electrolux Ergorapido and iRobot Rhooma-s for sale. 

Carmine D. 

HARDSELL

Reply #318   Nov 4, 2008 7:51 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello HARDSELL:

Thanks for the info about the ORECK Air Purifier.  I didn't know that factoid.  I'll have to take a closer look at the ORECK purifier now.  I might be in the market.  Is it made in the USA?  

You're not looking hard enough HS but nice to know you're looking.  This week TARGET stores have an advertised sale on the DC24 ball for $399 with a $50 Gift Card withn purchase.  Kohl's has an advertised sale starting tomorrow thru Nov 12 on DC14 and DC17 Animal.  MSRP of $399 and $549 respectively before 10, 15, 20, and/or 30 percent off depending on your mailer.   Just to mention 2 retailers with dyson sales.  Stay tuned.  More to come, I'm sure.  It's not even the Christmas sales season yet. 

Doesn't look like COSTCO will have any dysons on sale for Christmas.  Not sure if they even have them on the shelves anymore.  Like Wal*Mart stores, dysons will be hit or miss.  Probably carry and sell whatever they can get the best deal on from dyson.  New ball models may be on the Web but not in the W*M stores if my source is correct.  Probably DC14 and DC18 models at W*M stores.  These models won't be hot sellers for the Holidays, they're too old.  Those that would buy, bought already.  So they will have to be at really enticing prices.  COSTCO will have the new Electrolux Ergorapido and iRobot Rhooma-s for sale. 

Carmine D. 

I never opened the air cleaner.  I do know others who have used them and found them to be useless ( typical Oreck) I suppose.

Dysons are abundant in TN. It seems that they just have problems with Dysons where ever you live.  Maybe some day you can have the best. Like in Dyson and Lexus.

Tell us what other vacuums are doomed due to them being on sale.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #319   Nov 4, 2008 8:37 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Wholeheartedly agree Dusty.  Like I said: For "MOST" who buy quality bagged vacuums, the yearly cost of bags are not even on the radar screen.  Not all buyers. 

BTW, glad to hear you say dyson is a niche seller.  I've said that since 2002 when it was launched.  I don't dislike 'dyson' per se.  It's a vacuum.  It's a decent bagless, save the ball dyson models and the hand held.  But dysons in general are [and have been] overpriced, overrated and overengineered.  There are many more much better vacuum choices for the same and/or less price, IMHO.  If that is what you mean when you say I dislike dyson product, then you're absolutely right and I agree.  I'm guilty of the egregious sin of disliking dyson product.  So are many many others.

What should I do for penance?  Wait: I know. I'll petition the Vatican and the Holy Father and ask that...

Re: [Dyson] niche
Dyson is a $1.3 billion revenue making niche.  The most desired and unfortunatly most stolen of all vacuum cleaners niche.  The most copied or reversed engineered of all vacuum technologies niche (in many decades).  The only vacuum manufacturer (in many decades) to create entirely new and rapidly adopted product categories niche's like the 1) clear bin/low with high efficiency cyclonic filtration, 2) steerable’s and 3) hose/wand without the hastle of valve change over.  True, Dyson is not in the many units sold/small margins niche, instead Dyson is a technology creating, technology leading money making monster.        DIB

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/ny-lilarc1105,0,7332932.story
This message was modified Nov 5, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #320   Nov 5, 2008 6:46 am
Hello DIB/HS:

HS:You never opened the ORECK purifier to use it before returning.  You relied on other users to return it instead of testing it out yourself.  I see.  Do you use the same practice for buying vacuums and vehicles?  Don't bother to test drive but rely on others to make up your mind for your actions?  You're simply amazing!  But not in a good way like ORECK amazing!  

When I picked up the same KOHL's supplement from today's local newspaper, I noticed that the new DC25 ball model was substituted for the DC17 Animal in the KOHL's ad.  MSRP of $499 before 15, 20, and/or 30 percent off.  Latest and greatest discounted over dyson MAP and not even a Holiday sale.  Amazing!  That's sure to squelch alot of sales by BEST BUY stores of DC25 Animals which launched this week for $549.  I wonder what dyson rep approved that KOHL's dyson model switcheroo?  I know.  It's pay back for BB pulling the old switcheroo of the DC18 for the DC24 on the end cap space!

DIB: I admire your enthusiam for all things dyson and understand your denial about the dyson ball models and dyson niche sales.  We agree to disagree to quote you.  I enjoyed reading the story and the pic with the gentleman stealing a dyson DC14 from a TARGET store.  Thanks for posting.  But again I have to disagree with you on the thief's motive for stealing a dyson vice another brand.  Simple, my friend:  The dyson carton carrying handle!   Easier and more convenient!  I'm sure the thief was thinking: Thank you, dyson! 

I wonder what the felon's punishment will be?  Perhaps vacuuming the TARGET store [first time offender] and/or jail [repeat offender] with a bagged Dirt Devil? 

Here's a call out to the public defender/lawyer who handles the case.  I'll be a defense witness.  I'll provide expert industry evidence that a DC14 is overpriced.  Starting with Consumer Reports, then HS and MH's opinions of a DC14 [not nearly as good as a DC07], then the recent ASA ruling that sanctioned industry tests prove that the Electrolux Infinity's performance [MSRP $299] beats a DC14, and finally Vacuumfreeeke's posts about his purchase of a used DC14 for $100 on ebay.  The man will walk free.  The judge/jury will throw in a free dyson refurb for his trouble.  Why?  The man's sentence will be to vacuum and dump the dirt bin daily for 30 days.  After that, he'll never steal another dyson again.  Even with the nice carton carrying handle.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Nov 5, 2008 by CarmineD
Replies: 311 - 320 of 624Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42