Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Dyson Complain About Vax!

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Trilobite

Dyson Complain About Vax!
Original Message   Oct 14, 2008 6:50 pm
Here is the link to the UK Advertising Standards Authority, about Vax's "No Loss of Suction" claim.

http://www.asa.org.uk/asa/adjudications/Public/TF_ADJ_45100.htm

Replies: 13 - 22 of 32Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
DysonInventsBig

Re: Dyson Complain About Vax!
Reply #13   Oct 15, 2008 1:29 pm
mole wrote:
Hi Carmine.

Thanks, Its the same old [timing is everything] Dyson got the timing right,by accident or not who knows, Am i supposed to be shocked at D.I.B.S. quote about T.T.I making and taking the profit from the dealers?. I have already prepared about 3 or 4 years ago.

It pays to know the history of this business,or the evolutions as you like to quote,Been there done that and you and I know how this business works,After DYSONS off E-BAY they will be gone from the U.S.A. Hows the Dyson factory service center going? havnt heard much about them lately,are they still in CHICAGO. How about IONA dysons evil cloned twin are they still in BUFFALO.

How long do you think it will take Sir JIMMY to sell out to the communists[T.T.I.] i give him less than 1 year....

DONT TAZE ME DUDE,I'M telling the truth...........

MOLE

Mole,

I know that you know your business.  I do question you (and others) cheerleading the profit gutting, innovative slothful and communist sponsored TTI for going after a person or a manufacturer you loath (Dyson), when it can be your products and good paying American jobs next (loss of jobs or pay cuts).  Can you explain otherwise?

I want an answer from Mole only please.

DIB

DysonInventsBig

Reply #14   Oct 15, 2008 2:18 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello DIB:

I admire your enthusiam and support for all things dyson.  But........

First, dyson explicitly presented its argument to the ASA that VAX was copying its claim.  It was part and parcel of dyson's complaint.  ASA ruled against dyson for VAX saying no exclusive dyson right exists and no comparison by VAX to dyson was made.  VAX went to the CAP of ASA and specifically asked for advertising guidance so as not to violate any proprietary rights/misrepresent the claim.  Then VAX followed the CAP advice.  What was dyson thinking?

Second, had dyson inscribed the mantra "No Loss of Suction" on all its products, say on the soleplate, AND filed complaints against other vacuum brands using the same/similar claims, it would have had a better chance to prevail against VAX.  Even without having filed/received a copyright for the slogan.  Perhaps, the $100 Million and/or a portion thereof would have been better spent if dyson had.  Tho, I suspect dyson's request for a trademark for the claim would have been nixed.

Third, success in making money is never an indication of one's intelligence.  A false corrollary would be that more money means more intelligence.  It's just not so.  A recent case is relevant and appropo.  According to the latest winners of the Nobel Prize for Science, a non-descript financially strapped gent, who lost his job as a scientist for a leading firm, and now makes $10 an hour as a cabbie, played a key role in the discovery and invention.  Tho the gentleman, a publicly proclaimed genius, was never recognized/mentioned and did not make the trip to Stockholm with the others.  The cabbie's boss says he is the most overqualified cabbie he's ever met and under his employ!  Is the cabbie gent upset for not being recognized?  Not at all.  Quite the contrary.  He's elated he doesn't have to don a tux and make the trip!  Now, that's an indication of intelligence!

Carmine D.

Carmine,

I am familiar with brilliant people who are not financially successful.  George Washington Carver and Nikoli Tesla are such two.  They had no personal wealth, yet their God given ideas brought super wealth and gain to the world.  Those who choose to leave nothing of any real value behind (doing Gods work), well the Book reserves no praise for such as these.

I enjoy posting the “B” word and for many reasons.  Demonstrating a contrast; weekend quarterbacks who look backward with 20/20 vision, versus visionaries who look forward with faith that’s always followed by profits (good and honest gains, both directly and indirectly).

I will adjust my dollar value I put on Dyson’s creation; “No Loss of Suction”. - Perhaps up to $500m invested overall.

Those who bring something from nothing should fight for what began with them, always!

DIB

CarmineD

Reply #15   Oct 15, 2008 2:32 pm
mole wrote:
Hi Carmine.

Thanks, Its the same old [timing is everything] Dyson got the timing right,by accident or not who knows, MOLE

Hi MOLE:

You're right again.

Dyson was floundering for years since 1979 with the 5,174 dyson prototypes.  It's was the royalties and compensatory fees [over one million $] from dyson's former American licensee for patent infringement after the breakup of their business relationship, that provided the seed money to build dyson's Malmesbury UK plant in 1992.  Not profits from vacuum sales.

Then, dyson's compensatory fees from the legal suit with HOOVER for patent right infringement [$6.3 MILLION] provided the seed money to build the Malay plant in 2001 and produce/export vacuums to 50 countries worldwide.   Not profits from vacuum sales.

BEST BUY's management convinced dyson to launch in the USA in April 2002.  Dyson wanted to postpone the USA market by several years but instead listened to BB and launched early.  Smart move by dyson to follow BB's advice.  Lucky too, dyson did.  It would have missed the vacuum money train from 2004-2006. 

Of course, the interviews and press releases with all the accolades and praise never tell the story within the story.  Readers including dyson enjoy the simple story of "small time household inventor makes it big."  

Carmine D.

This message was modified Oct 15, 2008 by CarmineD
mole

Reply #16   Oct 15, 2008 2:35 pm
Hi D.I.B.

How many ways can i say the same thing.How much profit is enough,25,35,75,100,200,500,% markup,its also known that any company that advertises the way shall we call them the big 3,oreck,dyson,electroluxA.B.
Like to price gouge their dealer network, I have a clue what it costs them to manufacture each of their products,[trust me its lower than you think]

Not only do they offer coop advertising,but have a lot of corporate management to TAKE CARE OF,including keeping the bankers happy.The dealers have revolted already by offering the middlemen or distributors what they are willing to pay for a product,if you dont accept our CASH offer then you can eat the stuff,Ask wal-mart,ask sears,they will dictate to these companies what they want to pay and the pot better be sweet and stacked for the box stores.

Now is not a good time for any manufacturer to dictate how much they should sell a product for,who can sell it,how many they have to buy, has to be bought through their authorized distributors[i.e. middle men],

Weather you like it or not the time has come for the dealers to take back what is really their business,i dont know if you noticed it lately but the vacuum cleaner business is falling off the cliff,The only thing dyson has going for him is that its privately held as far as i know,With all the money James is worth dont you think its time to give some of it back to the businesses that put him there?.

MOLE
mole

Reply #17   Oct 15, 2008 2:55 pm
CarmineD wrote:

Of course, the interviews and press releases with all the accolades and praise never tell the story within the story.  Readers including dyson enjoy the simple story of "small time household inventor makes it big."  

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine,why would they want to do that ? It would blow their cover, The truth comes out sooner or later,by that time the culprits get away, or the way it works here is that they get the GOLDEN PARACHUTE for being incompetent.Doesn't make much sense any more.I'm stating to really wonder whats the schools of business are really teaching these people.

The government being run just like the syndicate........you know the one

Take care

MOLE
CarmineD

Reply #18   Oct 15, 2008 3:06 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Carmine,

I am familiar with brilliant people who are not financially successful.  George Washington Carver and Nikoli Tesla are such two.  They had no personal wealth, yet their God given ideas brought super wealth and gain to the world.  Those who choose to leave nothing of any real value behind (doing Gods work), well the Book reserves no praise for such as these.

DIB

DIB:

Since we are getting into the realm of fiction, I think you would enjoy reading, if you haven't already, The Bridge of San Luis Rey by Thornton Wilder.  It can be read as a novel about meaning -- how we assign and perceive meaning, how accidents and coincidences take on meaning in our daily lives. And in particular the conclusions Wilder wants us to draw about the human endeavor to find meaning in the world.  In particular note the character of Uncle Pio.  No relation to St. Padre Pio.

Wilder once declared "I am not an innovator but a rediscoverer of forgotten goods."  If you read The Bridge of San Luis Rey in the light of this remark it is very insightful.

Carmine D. 

CarmineD

Reply #19   Oct 15, 2008 3:10 pm
mole wrote:
Hi Carmine, what are the schools of business really teaching these people.

Take care

MOLE

Hi MOLE:

To be vessals of sea going minnows!  The best business education I got was not inside the 4 walls of America's institutions of higher learning.  It was 40 plus years as a small business owner/operator.

Dyson should be ashamed of himself for bringing such a frivolous complaint against VAX.  VAX used the same testing organization and standards as dyson AND VAX sought/followed ASA's CAP advice for documenting and advertising the claim!  What was dyson thinking?

Dyson has 2 strikes against it with the ASA:  Electrolux and VAX.  Does the ASA have a "3 strikes and you're out" rule? 

Carmine D.

mole

Reply #20   Oct 15, 2008 3:21 pm
Hi Carmine,more than likely because they were sucessful at this little ploy at one time,against HOOVER, Kenny and the ball fiasco.IONA, etc.

Venson what do you make of all this,Were looking forward to your words of wisdom..........

MOLE
DysonInventsBig

Reply #21   Oct 15, 2008 4:01 pm
CarmineD wrote:
DIB:

Since we are getting into the realm of fiction, I think you would enjoy reading, if you haven't already, The Bridge of San Luis Rey by Thornton Wilder.  It can be read as a novel about meaning -- how we assign and perceive meaning, how accidents and coincidences take on meaning in our daily lives. And in particular the conclusions Wilder wants us to draw about the human endeavor to find meaning in the world.  In particular note the character of Uncle Pio.  No relation to St. Padre Pio.

Wilder once declared "I am not an innovator but a rediscoverer of forgotten goods."  If you read The Bridge of San Luis Rey in the light of this remark it is very insightful.

Carmine D. 

Carmine,

Fiction?  Is God given insight fiction?  Can genius ideas come to the non-genius? - If so, how does it come (from God or from man)?

Concepts in book form.  Sorry to disappoint, I am no follower of the ideas and philosophies of men.        DIB
This message was modified Oct 15, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

Venson

Reply #22   Oct 15, 2008 5:09 pm
mole wrote:

Venson what do you make of all this,Were looking forward to your words of wisdom..........

MOLE

Hiya MOLE,

As a consumer, I can't claim much wisdom in this except that it's a known fact that people will get up to all kinds of off-the-wall stuff for all kinds of reasons if they feel desparate about money. 

In this case, as the Bible and Thorton Wilder have been quoted or reffered to, why not toss in Machiavelli?  "The end justifies the means."  If you think you can't outsell 'em, look for a way to knock 'em out of  the game some other way?  Skullduggery of the most vicious sort.  In this case, I think the intention was to win but if it was they should have taken a closer look at their cards, folded and waited for the next deal.  I'd assume crying over every little thing soon wears thin with the powers that be.  There's only so much sympathy anyone with all that money can garner.  From there on only bribery gets you through.

If Dyson is all that much the big kid on the block, I don't get the nervousness and excitability over "inferior" product EXCEPT that the competition's prices, as mentioned prior,  are beginning to look awful nice to John or Jane Doe who need a vacuum cleaner, want a vacuum cleaner but can in no way justify a four-, five-, six-hundred dollar or more outlay of cash to get what to them is "just a vacuum cleaner."  And "just a vacuum cleaner" is going to be doing pretty good in the stores for a while.

Best,

Venson

Replies: 13 - 22 of 32Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42