Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Trilobite

The New Miele Upright Cleaner
Original Message   Mar 23, 2008 10:12 pm

Allergy Banner Alt

First upright from Miele

29 February 2008

This summer, Miele will launch its first range of upright vacuum cleaners – the S7.

It will consist of about six models, all of which feature ultra large dust bags and

“a unique swivel body, which makes it easy to manoeuvre in even the trickiest

of room layouts”. According to the company,  the decision was made following

numerous requests from customers that wanted to buy Miele  but would only use

an upright model.

Text: courtesy ERTweekly.com

Picture: courtesy Miele.co.uk, 2009

Edited 21st March 2009; reason: loss of original image.

This message was modified Mar 20, 2009 by Trilobite
Replies: 151 - 160 of 494Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
DysonInventsBig

Re: The New Miele Upright Cleaner
Reply #151   Oct 12, 2008 11:00 am
Trilobite wrote:
"As I have posted of the Dyson Shroud many times before, it's the best on earth and no others can do what he and/or his engineers did.  It is the worlds first sweeping shroud (air traveling into the bin sweeps shroud). - Fact.  Come-on, you know I recently posted you of this genius shroud invention.  Make no mistake (outside readers), hair rarely gets stuck or sucked into Dyson patented shrouds." DIB

In my experience, ladies' long hair, feathers (from duvets and pillows), synthetic long fibres from certain carpets, can and do stick to that damned Dyson shroud. That I can attest to.

It should also be mentioned that over a period of time, the Dyson will start to smell, even if the bin is emptied regularly and the filter washed. This is because the fine dust accumulates in the airducts within the shroud area, as well as the small cyclone depositing area.

I found the answer with my DC15: wash the complete, removable cyclone bin assembly.

Here is what I did. (Wear eye protection!)

Empty bin, remove clear bin, wash clear bin with detergent.

Remove pre-filter, wash both parts of pre-filter in warm water, by hand, with laundry detergent. I used P&G's "Bold" powder. Rinse well, allow to thoroughly air dry.

Remove filter lid (hinge can be gently forced off one side), set aside. There should only be the shroud and inner cyclone assembly now.

Fill a 2-gallon bucket with hand-hot water, add a scoop of laundry powder, place the inner cyclone assembly into bucket, and agitate up & down vigorously, and rotate clockwise & anti-clockwise.

Invert the cyclone assembly and place back into the bucket, using same up & down and rotating motions.

You may find that you have to empty the pail and start again, due to the amount of dirt released.

Rinse all washed parts thoroughly, and allow to air-dry for a couple of days. When all parts are dry, re-assemble and enjoy a clean machine once again!

Of course, you could save yourselves all this hassle: by buying a bagged machine. Then, when the bag starts to smell bad, simply replace the bag with a new one. Problem solved!

Trilobite,

While unpopular here, my tutorial of eliminating the great majority of dust pluming when emptying a Dyson undoubtedly would get tens of thousands of hits if and when I choose to upload a tutorial vid to YouTube or alike.  How do I know this?  Because it is simple to do, safe to do, fast to do, costs nothing and answers a problem that no others have answered.        DIB

If the Dyson shroud is as bad as you say, then why are multi-billions worth of corporations copying the many Dyson expired patent shrouds (Fantom, DC01, etc.) and designing around the current Dyson (DC14/15) patent?  Bissell’s Healthy Home is almost an exact copy of the patented DC14/15 shroud...  why?  Can you name a better designed shroud than the most sought after shroud - the DC14/15 shroud?

DIB
This message was modified Oct 12, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #152   Oct 12, 2008 1:01 pm
Carmine D wrote:

Are you serious or delirious, DIB? 
Carmine D.

Carmine:

What say you?        DIB

DIB:

I say you are definitely delirious.  It takes readers, if they read it, more than 45 seconds to go through the dyson USER GUIDE just on the instructions for dirt bin dumping.  Even so with your abbreviated version.  Do you think they accomplish the task correctly in that time?  If they don't have indoor faciliites for the dirt bin dumping, they will have to go to the garage, basement, and outdoors to do it.  That will take a few minutes or more.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Oct 12, 2008 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #153   Oct 12, 2008 5:24 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Can you name a better designed shroud than the most sought after shroud - the DC14/15 shroud?

DIB

Hi DIB:

That's an easy one.  The Shroud of Turin!

Carmine D.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #154   Oct 13, 2008 12:41 pm
CarmineD wrote:
DIB:
I say you are definitely delirious. It takes readers, if they read it, more than 45 seconds to go through the dyson USER GUIDE just on the instructions for dirt bin dumping. Even so with your abbreviated version. Do you think they accomplish the task correctly in that time? If they don't have indoor faciliites for the dirt bin dumping, they will have to go to the garage, basement, and outdoors to do it. That will take a few minutes or more.

Carmine D.

Carmine,

You can make unwrapping a stick of gum sound difficult.

Perhaps you might want to rethink quoting CR’s findings of Dyson shrouds which you personally know nothing about. The DC15 shroud is bulletproof; little to no hair clings to it as you guess and/or quote CR. What say you?

DIB

P.S. I love proof - I hope the Shroud of Turin turns out to be the real thing by way of "good science", unlike CR’s spotty so-called science and virtues (of Dyson vacuum cleaners).
This message was modified Oct 13, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #155   Oct 13, 2008 3:54 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:

P.S. I love proof - I hope the Shroud of Turin turns out to be the real thing by way of "good science", unlike CR’s spotty so-called science and virtues (of Dyson vacuum cleaners).

DIB:

Faith allows us to believe when reason tells us we shouldn't.  Like you with dyson [and its infamous shroud].  

I find your enthusiam for copying dyson's shroud misdirected.  Brands and models with an MSRP of one-fourth and one-half the MSRP [HOOVER Whisper for $119 and BISSELL HEALTHY HOME for $249 to mention 2 of the of the bagless brands]  copy the shroud of a dyson DC15 [with an MSRP of $499.]   This is a testament to the less expensive brands not to a dyson and a DC15. 

Vacuum consumers don't care who is first.  The one who can copy the best and sell it for less wins in the market place.  It's more about economics than it is about science.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Oct 13, 2008 by CarmineD
Venson

Reply #156   Oct 13, 2008 6:41 pm
Hi everybody,

For those interested, Miele UK has put a a new page re the S7 -- linkis here: http://www.miele.co.uk/products/S7hub.aspx

This next link is regard to the tests Miele claims to have done re the S7: http://www.miele.co.uk/products/S7Testing.aspx

Best,

Venson

This message was modified Oct 13, 2008 by Venson
DysonInventsBig

Reply #157   Oct 13, 2008 8:29 pm
CarmineD wrote:
DIB:

Faith allows us to believe when reason tells us we shouldn't.  Like you with dyson [and its infamous shroud].  

I find your enthusiam for copying dyson's shroud misdirected.  Brands and models with an MSRP of one-fourth and one-half the MSRP [HOOVER Whisper for $119 and BISSELL HEALTHY HOME for $249 to mention 2 of the of the bagless brands]  copy the shroud of a dyson DC15 [with an MSRP of $499.]   This is a testament to the less expensive brands not to a dyson and a DC15. 

Vacuum consumers don't care who is first.  The one who can copy the best and sell it for less wins in the market place.  It's more about economics than it is about science.

Carmine D.

Carmine,
Famous shrouds not infamous shrouds...
My guess is 100 million Dyson or Dyson knocked off shrouds have or will soon be manufactured since these shrouds were invented at Dyson or by his prior company.

When you cheerlead and support knock-off artists you support the lazy.  Dyson pours money into R&D and knock-off artists do not.  Are consumers better off and the consumers standard of living better off when no new innovations come forth?

Knock off artist and the lazy vacuum manufacturers have and always will be with us and it shows.  Their belief in antiquated products have been nothing short of a gift to the innovative...  to Mr. Dyson.  Lazy manufacturers simply give Dyson the right to print money.

DIB

CarmineD

Reply #158   Oct 14, 2008 7:22 am
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Are consumers better off and the consumers standard of living better off when no new innovations come forth?

DIB

Let me answer the question.  It's a good one. 

The benefit of science for every day consumers is the application of new technology [innovation] to make life easier and better: i.e higher standard of living.   [We can argue whether improving the standard of living is better since it makes people LAZY just as we can who was first to market with a shroud (Filter Queen/dyson).  But let's assume for talking purposes that increasing the living standard for society is better in this case].  If the majority of people can't afford the technology, what is the impact on society except as scientific theory?  If the technology is made affordable and practical [economics] and consumers embrace it, then you have a higher standard of living and progress. 

Now, are $400 plus for a household vacuum beyond most persons' family budgets, especially now?  How about $100-$250?  What's more affordable?  The latter, of course.  So, less expensive copies make products more affordable to everyone thereby increasing availability and the standard of living [progress].  It's' not who does it first, but who copies best and sells for less.  Economics at work in the market place after science leads the way.  Aren't both [Science and Economics] equally important for society to progress?

Carmine D.

This message was modified Oct 14, 2008 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #159   Oct 14, 2008 7:52 am
Venson wrote:
Hi everybody,

For those interested, Miele UK has put a a new page re the S7 -- linkis here: http://www.miele.co.uk/products/S7hub.aspx

This next link is regard to the tests Miele claims to have done re the S7: http://www.miele.co.uk/products/S7Testing.aspx

Best,

Venson

Hi Venson:

Very impressive Web and product presentation by MIELE for its S7.  Thank you for posting.   Makes the competition look like high school level/caliber by comparison.  As MIELEsays:  Immer Besser.  Of the five S7 uprights, the 2 most expensive [read deluxe] have headlights.  A new and novel concept in vacuums??

So far, I like what I see, read  and hear.  Still I need to get over to the local MIELE dealer.   I'm a month overdue.  My dear Wife has already started:  You're not getting one!

Carmine D.

This message was modified Oct 14, 2008 by CarmineD
Venson

Reply #160   Oct 14, 2008 11:02 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hi Venson:

Very impressive Web and product presentation by MIELE for its S7.  Thank you for posting.   Makes the competition look like high school level/caliber by comparison.  As MIELEsays:  Immer Besser.  Of the five S7 uprights, the 2 most expensive [read deluxe] have headlights.  A new and novel concept in vacuums?? . . .

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine,

I was most impressed by the testing videos. They meant more to me than the total of features described.  It's great when a company lays it on the line in that fashion because when they show you something that at least appears concrete and encourages choosing their product.  The inference being, "One of ours will spare you the purchase of several machines over time," the testing videos also led me to a slightly gentler frame of mind regarding Miele's prices.  Though I'm sure there are brands that will last and clean well for less maybe there is real, justifiable  value in a Miele purchase for those who can afford it.

The headlight thing is old as can be.  Hoover and Eureka, among the oldest and most known big market vacuum makers, sold "economy" versions of basically the same upright that was at the top-of-the-line.  This was certainly true of the Hoover Convertible and Eureka's basic upright, already simple machines.  I just could never get a grasp of how a ten-cent light fixture, a little bulb and the two minutes worth of a man-hour could or should effect price all that much.  (But that's why I'm not rich by now.) However Miele did not remove but modified the speed options for the lower three of the S7 series by replacing the electronic adjustment with a rotary dial.

Venson

Replies: 151 - 160 of 494Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42