Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Dirt Devil Kone (L series)

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Venson

Dirt Devil Kone (L series)
Original Message   Sep 9, 2008 11:34 am
Hi all,

This is a heads-up regarding the top-selling Dirt Devil "Kone" rechargeable hand vacuum.  The model in question bears "L" in the code on both the machine and its box.  It seems Consumer Reports has discovered that this particular model may spew sand or broken glass toward the user's face.  TTI the maker of the Kone, did tests itself and acknowledged the problem.  Another Kone bearing "J" in its code does not have this flaw. 

Though claiming that no complaints have been reported, the company will provide replacement filter adapters free of charge to Kone L owners to eliminate the problem.

Shoppers interested in purchasing a Kone may want to check the code on the box before buying.  See the following link for a complete article and video.

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20080908/BC_olsen_vacuum_warning_080908/20080908?hub=BritishColumbiaHome

Best,

Venson

Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Re: Dirt Devil Kone (L series)
Reply #1   Sep 9, 2008 11:40 am
The latest Consumer Reports had a safety report about 2 Dirt Devil Kone models rated Not Acceptable

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/appliances/laundry-and-cleaning/vacuum-cleaners/vacuum-cleaners/dirt-devil-kone-m0213-ll-code-and-m0212/vacuums-dirt-devil-kone-m0213-m0212.htm

Dirt Devil calls its best-selling, handheld Kone M0213, $45, and similar M0212, $43, “an elegant, sculptural form that can be left on display.” Our tests suggest some Kone owners should do precisely that.

Four of the M0213 and two of the M0212 models threw some of the sand they picked up out of their exhaust ports at testers’ faces and eyes, something we didn’t find with other hand vacs. We used fine, uniform silica sand as we do with all vacuums to test carpet and floor cleaning. To better assess the models’ real-world risks, we also used sand found in many backyards and glass from broken lightbulbs—common cleaning messes. Both models released small particles of each in the same way.

We notified the Consumer Product Safety Commission and TTI Floor Care, which owns the Dirt Devil brand. TTI confirmed that both models share the same design and subsequently did its own tests with silica sand. The company then told us its tests showed “blow-by” in certain units and linked it to an undersized filter adapter on some Kones with an “L” on the unit and box (see photos). The M0213 models with a “J” are from a different plant and have a better-sealing adapter; the part fits all “L” versions, including the M0212, TTI said. The company told us it had received no injury reports and believes the “blow-by” does not pose an issue but would send the newer part free of cost to owners who asked for it.

Dirt Devil Kone vacuum with 'L' markings
Our tests show that newer, “J” units and older, “L” versions we retrofitted with the newer filter adapter kept fine silica sand contained. But our earlier findings remain troubling given that roughly 1 million Kones were produced and that L-code units were still in stores as of August 2008. Because using a handheld vac typically puts your face and eyes near the machine, we believe the L-code Dirt Devil Kone M0213 and all M0212 models pose a safety risk and we have judged them Not Acceptable.

We believe owners of L-code models should get the improved adapter without having to ask, and that TTI should publicize its fix and send it to all registered owners. We’ve asked the CPSC to open an investigation. If you own an L-code M0213 or any M0212, don’t use it until you install the improved adapter. Contact TTI or call 800-321-1134 for the part.

Posted: September 2008 — Consumer Reports Magazine issue: October 2008

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
mole

Reply #2   Sep 10, 2008 9:01 am
Hi Vacologists.

Is it me or does dirt devil, tti have a problem with BIG BROTHER, [also known as the vacuum police] is this not 2 strikes against them in a short period of time?

First the turbo brush recall and now this little problem. Why was this problem not noticed when the CONE first came out?

I will be the first to agree that any product should be safe to use no matter what it costs.

How about big red letters on uprights with brush rollors that spin at 6000, to 7000 rpm. [CAUTION DONT STICK YOUR HAND HERE WHEN RUNNING].OR product should only be used by people over 18 years old>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

MOLE

CarmineD

Reply #3   Sep 10, 2008 1:02 pm
Venson, Severus:

Thanks for the Kone information and the Web Sites.  Yes, MOLE you're right!  This makes strike 2.  Do we have a 3 strike rule in the vacuum industry?  Maybe we should?

Interestingly, much to Dirt Devil-TTI's surprise, 'blow by' poses risks to the motor and hence the operation and longevity of the vacuum.  Sand is particularly troublesome to motors because of its granularity.  The sand catches in all the nooks and crannies causing motor overheating and burn out.  Why?  The granules get embeded between the carbon brushes and the commutator segments causing the carbon brushes to fail and the armature to burn out.

I don't know what the warranty is on the Kone: Whether it is one/two years.  On its sister, the Kruz, a stick vacuum version of the Kone, the warranty is 2 years.  Having used the Kruz and scoping out the filter before becoming aware of the Consumer Reports info, mine did not have the same problem as the Kone with 'blow by' and contaminated exhaust air.  The Kruz filter [flat], which doesn't resemble the Kone's cup shaped filter and gasket, appears to work better for preventing blow by and bad exhaust.

BTW, my 2 grand daughters [2 and 4 years old] use the Kruz to assist their Mom with the vacuuming.  They all [Mother too] like it. 

Carmine D. 

This message was modified Sep 10, 2008 by CarmineD
Venson

Reply #4   Sep 10, 2008 5:52 pm
mole wrote:

How about big red letters on uprights with brush rollors that spin at 6000, to 7000 rpm. [CAUTION DONT STICK YOUR HAND HERE WHEN RUNNING].OR product should only be used by people over 18 years old>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

MOLE

Hi Mole,

You're right.  Vacuum cleaner safety is a real issue of concern. However, kids of a reasonable age can use vacuums sensibly and safely -- they just need to be taught how to.  

A few years back, I came across an article regarding a child, a toddler I believe, who had stuck the working end of a running vacuuming cleaner's hose into his mouth and suffered permanent lung damage because of it.  And to this day, I've never forgotten the time I stuck the end of a detachable Electrolux cord in my mouth at about age four.

Due to carelessness, there is potential danger by way of revolving brushes, detachable cords, sharp exposed metal edges and any number of other things for both children and unwary adults.  However, most vacuum manufacturers now provide instruction manuals with all sorts of warnings but it seems easier to sell a vacuum than to motivate a new machine's owner to at least skim his user guide.  I'd suppose, having read all sorts of current user manuals, that there are enough warnings and disclaimers included to cover a manufacturer's butt in the legal sense but . . .

Vacuum cleaners could be definitely made safer by a mandate for a lighted display to alert you that a machine is plugged in.  Only a few companies provide the like.  A "dead man" switch (something like the idea used for lawn mowers) on upright vacuums' andles or canister vacs' hose ends would also be of benefit.  Pror to its G series, Kirby provided hose ends and wands that bore large perforationsat their male ends that kept full suction from being delivered unless a tool was attached.  Kenmore canisters -- we're going back a while -- had a similar set up for a time.  Maybe they stopped using that particular design because no one seemed to notice.

To be fair, as much as consumers rant and rave when makers of appliances miss the mark, maybe we should just as vociferous when they hit the bull's eye dead on. 

Best,

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #5   Oct 1, 2008 7:06 am
The local Las Vegas evening news covered this story from Consumer Reports yesterday.  The newsreporter used the CR vacuum expert [Mr. Markovich] and the CR video with the DD Kone spewing the blow by.  Well done IMHO.

Carmine D.

Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42