Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
jrw14493

DC15 vs DC25
Original Message   Aug 3, 2008 1:21 pm
Hello, you may remember me. It's interesting to see everyone again. Carmine is still the same as is everyone else as well as the new guys that wern't on the WTB forum.

Anyways, after giving my DC07 to my aunt who time after time would purchase a failing vacuum, I'm ready to get another Dyson for myself. My Girlfriend's mom purchased a DC15 a while back and loves it as do I with Dyson's famous ball. After refamiliarizing myself with Dyson's product line, I'm trying to decide which is the better model: DC15 or the new DC25. I see the DC25 has a smaller dust bin as well as a waaaaaaaay shorter cord than the the DC15. But, is the better brushroll design worth the step up to the DC25? I spent a few hours last night going through the messages and got mixed reviews from everyone so I thought I'd bring them all together here. Remember, this is strictly for comparing the DC15 and the DC25, not arguing about how much better Hoover's aged technology is or how much of the market Dyson holds. I'm not interested in that, jut in which to purchase: the DC15 or the DC25. Thanks!

Joey Weedin
Yakima, WA

Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
HARDSELL

Re: DC15 vs DC25
Reply #1   Aug 3, 2008 4:05 pm
jrw14493 wrote:
Hello, you may remember me. It's interesting to see everyone again. Carmine is still the same as is everyone else as well as the new guys that wern't on the WTB forum.

Anyways, after giving my DC07 to my aunt who time after time would purchase a failing vacuum, I'm ready to get another Dyson for myself. My Girlfriend's mom purchased a DC15 a while back and loves it as do I with Dyson's famous ball. After refamiliarizing myself with Dyson's product line, I'm trying to decide which is the better model: DC15 or the new DC25. I see the DC25 has a smaller dust bin as well as a waaaaaaaay shorter cord than the the DC15. But, is the better brushroll design worth the step up to the DC25? I spent a few hours last night going through the messages and got mixed reviews from everyone so I thought I'd bring them all together here. Remember, this is strictly for comparing the DC15 and the DC25, not arguing about how much better Hoover's aged technology is or how much of the market Dyson holds. I'm not interested in that, jut in which to purchase: the DC15 or the DC25. Thanks!

Joey Weedin
Yakima, WA

Joey,

If you do not get all that you didn't ask for it will be the first.  Good luck.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #2   Aug 4, 2008 1:40 pm
Joey,
I own the DC15 and enjoy it much. I can twist/turn and pivot it with ease. Although my wife and housekeeper cannot (twist/turn on carpeting). The DC18 is easier to maneuver for sure and I will assume the DC25 is the same. You can tweak the DC15 and get more suction (air watts) by closing/partially closing the “debris channel” at the nozzle. The DC18’s clearance price’s I’ve seen looks inviting too.
The pushing and pulling of an upright vacuum cleaner in a straight/almost straight line is based on a late 1800’s fixed axle design; late 1800’s for sweepers and early 1900’s for electric vacuums (sweepers and uprights maneuver the same). James and his team destroyed this tired design and method of vacuuming and gave consumers another choice - late 1800’s design VS. Dyson’s 2008 DC24/DC25 designs. DIB

Have you seen my Dyson comparison chart?   http://mynetimages.com/4d3df8c2.jpg

Patented: 1884 sweeper...
http://www.google.com/patents?id=SsNDAAAAEBAJ&pg=PA1&dq=carpet+sweeper&ie=ISO-8859-
This message was modified Aug 6, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

iMacDaddy

Electrolux UltraOne EL7070, Bissell BigGreen Deep Cleaning Machine

Reply #3   Aug 4, 2008 4:58 pm
As a DC25 owner, and having used the DC15 on many occasions, I would say go for the DC25. 

• The DC25 has snap-on tools, where as the DC15 tools are twist on.
  • The DC25 motorhead disconnects from the vacuum for easier servicing; that can't be done with the DC15.
  • The DC25 is lighterweight at 16 lbs, while the DC15 is heavier at 22 lbs.
  • The DC25 brushroll can be disengaged for hard floors without having to engage the bushroll, unlike the DC15.
  • The DC25 is quieter, with a new airflow valve system that does not force airflow through the top of the handle when in the upright position.
  • The DC25 brushroll tufts are shorter, and thicker for more agressive agitation of carpets in comparison to the DC15.

Of course, the DC15 does have some positive highlights over the DC25.

• The DC15 clear bin has over twice the capacity of the DC25 clear bin.
  • The DC15 has 6-month filter maintenance intervals; the DC25 has 3-month cycles.
  • The DC15 has a longer 35 ft. cord; the DC25 has a 25 ft. cord.

So overall, the DC25 is quieter, lighter, and better at deep cleaning carpets than the DC15.

Motorhead

Reply #4   Aug 4, 2008 5:04 pm
The DC15 is actually the better machine.  It has a better brushroll than the DC25 (the DC21/23 brushroll to be exact), and it has the steel soleplate.  The brushrolls on *both* the DC15 and 25 can be shut off to clean bare floors without first turning them on.  While the bristles on the DC25 are shorter and thicker, they do not dig into the carpet as well as the DC15 with the steel bottom plate.   The DC15 also has full-sized attachments and the large debris channel in front for bare floor cleaning.

Grab one while you can, it's going to be a vac shop exclusive like the DC07 soon as it has been replaced in the big-box stores (NOT scrubbed!) by the DC24 and 25.  The truth is that it costs a lot more to manufacture the DC15 than the DC25, and the build quality of the DC15 is better.

-MH
This message was modified Aug 4, 2008 by Motorhead
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42