Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Best canister for under $500

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
ElvisPresley

Best canister for under $500
Original Message   Jul 26, 2008 11:06 pm
Ready to get rid of my 10 year old Kenmore. It's been good to me, although I've had to fix it (myself) a numer of times--and I'm dissapointed they still haven't fixed the shotty quaity--like the plastic parts tha break on everyone hoe connections

Considering dyson dc21 (and buying the smal powerhead, which is important to me--I've got two sets of carpeted stairs) Also found good reports on  the high-end kenmore bagless.

I'm not tied to bagless, though. I would consider a riccar, miele, or bosch..... Hepa is important to me. reliability is very important. but performance on different piles of carpet  AND hardwood THE MOST IMPORTANT.  And yes, it has to be a canister.

THANKS SO MUCH IN ADVANCE!

Replies: 12 - 21 of 21Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Best canister for under $500
Reply #12   Jul 28, 2008 5:40 pm
mole wrote:

The bosch formula is about the best 500.00 value out there.Of course you can pay 500.00 more for a miele S5 series and  get nothing more except a longer cord and a vacuum that is used as a status symbol........

MOLE

Hello MOLE et al:

This is the BOSCH Formula Electro Duo HEPA BSG71360UC that you mentioned earlier in the thread.  It's rated by Consumer Reports [March 2008] right up there with the SEBO, MIELE, and RICCAR models that are $800 and $900 MSRP.  I would have to agree with you. It would definitely make my short list of best canister vacuums [at any price].  Here's a Web site for viewing:

http://www.boschappliances.com/kitchen-appliances-consumer-products_vacuums_canister-vacuums_formula.html

Good point about the Electrolux name.  Reading several of the reviews about the Oxygen, posters refer to the original Electrolux brand name in comparison comments.  Obviously not knowing that the rights to the name were sold back in 2000 [I believe].  And the original Electrolux is now Aerus.  Unfortunately, the famous words of the illustrious bard Wm. Shakespeare:  "A rose by any other name smells as sweet" does not apply to the Electrolux vacuums in this case!

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jul 28, 2008 by CarmineD
ElvisPresley

Reply #13   Jul 28, 2008 5:52 pm
I appreciate everyone's help.
What about
http://stores.channeladvisor.com/GreatVacs/Vacuum%20Cleaners/Miele%20Vacuums/

or one of the others listed at this store?

Also, are some of the bags reuseable?

thanks!
ElvisPresley

Reply #14   Jul 28, 2008 6:03 pm
linen's and things has the bosch at 499--including a turbo upholstery brush. Plus, the sunday paper usually has 20% off coupons for that store. This seems like a winner. I will run it by "the boss".
-Ben
CarmineD

Reply #15   Jul 28, 2008 6:09 pm
ElvisPresley wrote:
I appreciate everyone's help.
What about
http://stores.channeladvisor.com/GreatVacs/Vacuum%20Cleaners/Miele%20Vacuums/

or one of the others listed at this store?

Also, are some of the bags reuseable?

thanks!

Hello EP:

These are not new.   Bags are not reusable.  But the capacity on the S548 is 4.5 quarts.  Over a gallon.  That's alot of dirt!

ElvisPresley wrote:

linen's and things has the bosch at 499--including a turbo upholstery brush. Plus, the sunday paper usually has 20% off coupons for that store. This seems like a winner. I will run it by "the boss".
-Ben

Excellent idea.  Go for it!

Carmine D. 

This message was modified Jul 28, 2008 by CarmineD
dusty

Reply #16   Jul 28, 2008 6:55 pm
mole wrote:
You know Dusty you are right on the money about the oxygen, having also repaired many i see the same problems as you stated,wands,elbows,hose handles,smallish insert[bag],I get asked about this machine a lot,
To be nice about it, I tell the customer the machine itself is not too bad,but the attachments are horrible. THE SUCTION AND FILTRATION IS TOP NOTCH,but the cleaning set makes the whole product look bad.

Back when these were sold with a Sweep and Groom head we used to sell off the powerhead for central vacs and put a Lindhaus head on the oxygen.  No problems, customer was always happy.

Dusty
mole

Reply #17   Jul 28, 2008 7:08 pm
dusty wrote:
Back when these were sold with a Sweep and Groom head we used to sell off the powerhead for central vacs and put a Lindhaus head on the oxygen.  No problems, customer was always happy.

Dusty

Did the EUREKA version use the sweep @ groom powerhead, and the electrolux version used the sweedish version,now made by someone else,

Yes i could see the customer being real happy with the lindhaus,as you custom fitted together a great package for them,thank goodness the wands matched up............

MOLE
dusty

Reply #18   Jul 28, 2008 7:30 pm
mole wrote:
Did the EUREKA version use the sweep @ groom powerhead, and the electrolux version used the sweedish version,now made by someone else,

Yes i could see the customer being real happy with the lindhaus,as you custom fitted together a great package for them,thank goodness the wands matched up............

MOLE

Yes, it was the Eureka Oxygen with a quick release sweep and groom head and the Electrolux used a China made head..  Even with the sweep and groom the Oxygen was far superior to the heads that have been on the Electrolux's for the last couple years.  I know  that Lux is using Beams Q series head on their new machines, it'll be interesting to see how that plays out.

Dusty
This message was modified Jul 28, 2008 by dusty
Lucky1

Reply #19   Jul 29, 2008 10:31 am
ElvisPresley wrote:
I appreciate everyone's help.<BR>What about <BR>http://stores.channeladvisor.com/GreatVacs/Vacuum%20Cleaners/Miele%20Vacuums/<BR><BR>or one of the others listed at this store?<BR><BR>Also, are some of the bags reuseable?<BR><BR>thanks!

This place seems to be selling used products and the wording in their product description seems to be a little ummm "overly colorful" JMHO
Moderator Mike_W

"There is no BEST or PERFECT vacuum cleaner"

"Take care of your vacuum, then your vacuum will take care of you"

Reply #20   Jul 29, 2008 1:28 pm
dusty wrote:
Yes, it was the Eureka Oxygen with a quick release sweep and groom head and the Electrolux used a China made head..  Even with the sweep and groom the Oxygen was far superior to the heads that have been on the Electrolux's for the last couple years.  I know  that Lux is using Beams Q series head on their new machines, it'll be interesting to see how that plays out.

Dusty

The Electrolux Oxygens that were marketed for the U.S. as the Eureka Oxygen, w/the express power nozzles performed really well.  I was disappointed when ABElectrolux changed the wands/power nozzle.
hoovergroover

Reply #21   Jul 29, 2008 3:21 pm
ElvisPresley..

Well in light of recent developements you might want to search out a Hoover S3670. the MSRP is $299.99 and seems to be very very very similar to a Meile Silvermoon S5980 ($1200) or as some have reported a Ricaar. I have one and it is SO FRIGGIN' SWEET!! It has a HEPA bag type "S" Hoover part # 4010806S; although any Hoover "S" style will work. Nice n quite, great floor brush, neat convertble tool sooo easy to move around. My best suggestion is locate a Hoover Factory Service Center that has one you can try it's what I did..

Replies: 12 - 21 of 21Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42