Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Venson

A heads-up . . .
Original Message   Jul 26, 2008 12:10 pm
Hi,

Following is a link to a recent news article regarding a turbo nozzle that is up for recall by Dirt Devil.  140 incidents of problems with the tool have been reported to TTI, the manufacturer.  There have also been 12 reports of actual injuries although minor.

http://www.wptv.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=ea08c537-f07b-41d2-8095-26d65082bbb6&rss=762

Venson

Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
CarmineD

Re: A heads-up . . .
Reply #1   Jul 26, 2008 3:07 pm
Hi Venson:

Thanks for the info.  I understand ABC news reported this recall.  I understand there is a free manufacturer's repair kit to correct the problem and/or a free replacement for the broken ones.  According to the news, the turbo tool can come apart during usage and launch its inner working parts.  Gives new meaning to the name: Turbo tool!

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jul 26, 2008 by CarmineD
Motorhead

Reply #2   Jul 26, 2008 4:08 pm
Hi Venson,

I recently saw this through CR, very interesting.  I'm thinking that the turbine (which as we know all dirt/debris goes through) is what is flying apart and possibly going through the plastic housing.  We all know how fast those things turn, especially such a small nozzle like this one, and I certainly wouldn't want to be around if it decides to self-destruct during use! 

Yet another side effect of inexpensive manufacturing, and the use of cheap plastics with questionable durability.  Probably the reason turbo nozzles have become more common on low-priced cleaners.  The only turbo nozzles I would use at this point would be the VacuFlo-made versions (both the large TurboCat and small RugRat), the Dyson turbine heads, and the Hoover TurboPower nozzle that is used on the Constellation.  Certainly not anything included with a cheap Hoover, Dirt Devil, or Eureka.  Even before this I had heard about the cheap turbo nozzles included with those cleaners breaking all the time.

Incidentally, one of the Dirt Devil vacuums that uses this particular tool is the Spinnergy.  The turbo nozzle is mounted right on the front of the cleaner.

-MH
This message was modified Jul 26, 2008 by Motorhead
techphet

Reply #3   Jul 26, 2008 7:37 pm
Motorhead wrote:
I recently saw this through CR, very interesting.  I'm thinking that the turbine (which as we know all dirt/debris goes through) is what is flying apart and possibly going through the plastic housing.  We all know how fast those things turn, especially such a small nozzle like this one, and I certainly wouldn't want to be around if it decides to self-destruct during use! 

I was looking at one of those the other day and the first thought that came to my mind was "gee, that design looks a lot like the computer fan that I was cleaning out with a compressed air hose a few weeks ago."  I'm sure it was spinning much faster than it was designed to but it sure shocked me when little plastic bits and pieces went flying everywhere. 

Tech
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42