Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Best vacuums to rebuild.

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
mole

Best vacuums to rebuild.
Original Message   Jul 25, 2008 1:32 pm
Just thought that i would throw this out there for the vacuum collectors,restorers, and just plain vacuum nuts.

What brands of vacuums are worthy of rebuilding,from Airway, to Zenex centrals,

All replys are welcome ,from the OLD-TIMERS, to the rookies.

MOLE

Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
Venson

Re: Best vacuums to rebuild.
Reply #1   Jul 25, 2008 2:49 pm
Hi Mole,

A good question considering tight times lately.  With everything becoming super expensive, re-built all metal machines may well be the answer for folks who want a good vacuum that will last them for a while.

First of course is Electrolux metal canister.  The advantage, due to its popularity, is that parts can still easily be found for models as far back as the XXX (that's stands for 30 -- not the rating).  Original tools are a boon for most of these machines as they were specifically designed to enhance the cleaning ability and efficiency despite lower power draw.  Also, high-filtration disposable bags should enhance the performance of any model from the G up. I've tried them in a 1205 I have and have completely forgotten it does not have a secondary filter.

Kirby is next in line.  Clunky, yeah.  Heavy too.  But I like the cleaning ability of the latter G series models better than those prior.  Nonetheless, most  any Kirby in good working condition will serve well. 

Older Filter Queens with original cleaning tools are always worthy of chance for another turn around the track as they not only filter well but prove exceptionally durable. 

Cleaners I thought about mentioning yesterday while thinking on Tecphet's post are the Nilfisk GM/GS 80 (aluminum) or 90 (plastic) canister.  These don't necessarily have to be "rebuilt" as components like the motor can be bought and  immediately put in place with nary a srewdriver or wrench needed.  Though the disposable bags can be pricey, there's enough extra filter medium in these machines to make a used one well worth a price of $250 to $300.

Airway is also worth thinking about as disposable bags are not too hard to find and you can always cut your own secondary filters.  Used latter day models bearing an outlet for power nozzles are a nice find.  Original tool sets are okay though I've never been to taken with the brushless AirWay upholstery nozzle.  This is not a big deal as AirWay can be easily refitted with more efficient generic tools.

Earlier Rainbows, plastic or metal versions, usually re-do pretty well.  I do not recommend them as machines of note regarding cleaning ability, weght or filtration but if you're looking to save money on bags and don't mind doing the regular maintenance thing, they may pay off for you.  The new E series does require HEPA filters.

Royal metal tank-types and its metal uprights are a sound investment also for thos looking for good service and durability.

I'd be so bold to say that with reasonable care, people not fussy over type or brand who are simply in need of a decent vacuum cleaner could find themselves getting good use out of any of the machines mentioned a good ten years or more after acquisition any of the above mentioned.

Best,

Venson

PS -- I have left out older Sanitaires and Hoovers as I do not not know much about the availability of parts

This message was modified Jul 25, 2008 by Venson
CarmineD

Reply #2   Jul 25, 2008 6:04 pm
Excellent question MOLE:

I have to fall in line behind Venson.  All the Lux-es, all the Kirby-s and of course all the oldies but goodies that are among the classics and still perform well for today's needs:  HOOVER Convertibles, Dials, Powers, Concepts and the like.  There are always a demand for these among the vacuum buying public.  Old but ageless.

Inevitably, all the vacuum stores I stop in have at least one of these classics from yester year tucked away in a corner waiting for the most likely buyer.  Just ask about one and then the fun begins.  Also the mucho deniro!

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jul 25, 2008 by CarmineD
mole

Reply #3   Jul 25, 2008 10:00 pm
Carmine,when you were a HOOVER dealer,were you comfortable selling the self propelled dial-a-matic?, Remember the problems with powerdrive belt, it took me a couple of years to finally get to the root of the problem with this set up,i'm sure HOOVER knew they had a real headache on their hands with the self propelled machine, The concept series are still the one to beat for rug cleaning,Did not the concept series turn into the powermax machine?.

And yes Venson we sort of think along the same lines.
The new stuff has some nicer filtration features than the older stuff, but that was before the HYSTERIA started about all the harm dust will do to you,[Just look at  what true hepa filters cost].are they worth the money?
I;m not sure ,but i would imagine that someone has a nice long story about it.

MOLE
CarmineD

Reply #4   Jul 26, 2008 7:07 am
Hello MOLE:

I never cared alot for the HOOVER power drive dial.  Much too heavy.  I never pushed it on customers, tho it was HOOVER's top of the line.  When the transmission belt failed, a user didn't have a default to use it in the manual mode.  Couldn't push and pull it across the carpet to vacuum.  [Sound familiar?]  No manual height adjustment!  An extra 8 pounds of vacuum weight added for the tranny!  Convertibles were better, despite their poor tool attachment.

I sold Power Dials to customers who really wanted them and needed.  Lots of carpeting.  No problems selling because I was a warranty HOOVER repair dealer.  Plus, HOOVER had an excellent network of warranty dealers, many former HOOVER employees, who sold and repaired HOOVER in the indy stores.  HOOVER had ventured into other household appliances and commercial canister vacuums too.  So getting the power drive right was not a major concern at the time.  Especially with the indy-s authorized by HOOVER who picked up all the slack and kept HOOVER customers satisfied.

Concepts were remarkable beauties [and with manual height adjustments] but also too heavy, especially the powers.  Remember the one with the hand cleaner on board!  Around this time, Panasonic came on the scene with lightweight powerful and quiet uprights and gave HOOVER a run for the money.  I jumped on board and became an authorized sales and service dealer for Panasonic. 

Power Drives were superceded by the Powermax.  But by then, MOLE, I had enough.  I was looking to find a buyer for my vacuum business, which I did.  40 plus years as a small business owner/operator and 3 years long of IRS Federal/State tax audits with high priced tax attornies were enough (1970-1973).  The sign I hung up in the store in 1949 was all too prophetic:  "We collect Federal, state and local taxes and do a little vacuum business on the side." 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jul 26, 2008 by CarmineD
mole

Reply #5   Jul 26, 2008 9:29 am
Hi Carmine,yes i know what your saying,been there done that.

So you think PANASONIC put the hurt on HOOVER with the indy's,i believe they did, we started selling PANASONIC in the early 90's.

We were also warranty for HOOVER, EUREKA, ROYAL ,FILTER QUEEN. even had customers write to kirby for us asking if they start us up as a warranty station,[did not work].

Yes when the big boys went to the bigboxers they really left the indys out in left field. Their business pratices put them where there at today,NUFF SAID?.

At least tacony backs their dealers with out the special behind the closed doors meetings.[you know what i'm talking about].

Look what happened to ELECTROLUX when they went in box stores,this is an industry wide fact to what happened.it almost put the nail in the coffin,and the management were all fired>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

MOLE

CarmineD

Reply #6   Jul 26, 2008 5:43 pm
MOLE:

I couldn't have said it any better!  The vacuum makers reap what they sow!  When they [HOOVER included] kow towed to the big box retailers for the quick profits to line their pockets, they sowed their seed on rocky hard ground.  The harvest years were short lived.  If they planted their seed in the rich fertile soil of vacuum cleaner stores [with the professionals and experts], they would have received 30, 60 and 100 fold more in time and still today.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jul 26, 2008 by CarmineD
mole

Reply #7   Jul 26, 2008 5:57 pm
Your right BROTHER your right,

MOLE
Venson

Reply #8   Jul 26, 2008 7:24 pm
Hey guys!  I forgot to mention Air-Storm, Patriot and Miracle Mate.  I would never tell anyone to buy any of these brands new as they are ridiculously expensive.  However, second hand or re-built, I can't think of anything sturdier.  More  recent models come with Lindhaus type power nozzles but substituions are easy to make.  I also substituted all-metal Compact tools for carpet and bare flooring. You can't get more durability than that. 

There are now HEPA pre-filters that should fit any of these models if filtration concerns arise.  With the HEPA filter, cloth bag and paper disposable paper insert I think you come up with a winner quite easily.  Of the three, Miracle Mate is the only one of these molded metal beauties that includes a cord reel.  Noise level for all is not great but bearable.

Venson

Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42