Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > HEPAs for lead-dust cleanup, Eurekas fully-sealed HEPA and other questions...

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
techphet

HEPAs for lead-dust cleanup, Eurekas fully-sealed HEPA and other questions...
Original Message   Jul 24, 2008 12:31 am

I started investigating vacuum cleaners after moving into an old home (100+ years).  I didn’t know much when first moving in and used my old Bissell to suck paint chips out of a few window sills- now I realize those chips had lead-based paint on them and no longer want to use the old vacuum cleaner.

I plan on borrowing our county’s lead-cleanup HEPA to suck up the rest of the loose paint chips and vacuum the walls/floors for a first time.  I can not borrow this for each and every house cleaning, however, and don’t have $600+ to invest in a vacuum rated for lead cleanup. 

At first I purchased the “lift-off” Bissell which comes with a “HEPA filter media.”  Now I know that this vacuum is not sealed and also that the HEPA filter was probably not tested with the actual vacuum cleaner air flow levels.  I returned this vacuum and am considering what to do next.

I noticed that Eureka has a “closed HEPA system.”  What are the opinions of this vacuum cleaner? I see the 8853AVZ features this- I’m not sure if this is the same one I was looking at in the store but the feature seems to be the same.

Are these vacuums the same as the other inexpensive ones where the filter media is simply tested at a lower air flow?  I can see how marketers wouldn’t mind selling this as a “sealed system” when the truth is that all the air flows through the HEPA filter but the filter doesn’t hold together…

I’d just like to find the best solution for keeping my home clean for a low cost.  I realize I can probably only have one or the other so my last question- what is the most inexpensive vacuum I can buy which would have actual HEPA filtration?

Thanks all,

David

Replies: 1 - 9 of 9View as Outline
CarmineD

Re: HEPAs for lead-dust cleanup, Eurekas fully-sealed HEPA and other questions...
Reply #1   Jul 24, 2008 7:48 am
Hello David:

You have a dilemma!  Is this the model you are mentioning?

http://www.eureka.com/products/upright/8853avz/8853avz.jsp

I'm not answering your question, but will give you some things to consider.

Why did you select a bagless upright for your home cleaning needs and requirements?  As opposed to a canister and/or a bagged vacuum?  Would you want to contain the lead in a paper bag [cloth/paper] that can be replaced with a new bag?  As opposed to a bagless vacuum [with dirt bin, shroud, and baffles] that will hold lead dust residue and debris in all the knooks and crannies?

Keeping in mind that the lead paint in your home is an issue, since this vacuum is also for your home use, you want a vacuum that is the best for your household cleaning needs and desires.  Are you the primary user?  Or is there someone else whose opinion factors into the vacuum needs and wants for consideration?

An upright may be your best choice, but you should consider your rug cleaning needs vice barefloors and bagged vice bagless.  I have a preference for uprights too although 75 percent of my home is tile floor.  I do the daily vacuuming so using an upright on my floors and rugs daily is my choice [I have an English yellow lab that sheds all year round].  I keep a dust swiffer in the bag compartment of the vacuum's outer bag for light dusting on surface tops.

Several times a week I'll pull out the canister for a thorough above the floor cleaning.  Rather than use the upright with attachments for the above the floor cleaning chores.  My personal preference.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jul 24, 2008 by CarmineD
Venson

Re: HEPAs for lead-dust cleanup, Eurekas fully-sealed HEPA and other questions...
Reply #2   Jul 24, 2008 9:48 am
Hi Techphet,

A vacuum is not an essential issue here if you are really worried about exposure to lead. It would be totally irresponsible to to let you think so especially if you may have young ones about the house. Yes, it's best to take whatever measures you can to get the problem under control but vacuuming is just a method by which to remove chips that have already fallen.  It will not stop the problem. 

If you have not already, do begin to investigate how to get a complete evaluation of the lead levels throughout your home and then, once informed as to the seriousness of the problem, start looking for cost estimates regarding lead removal from reliable service givers.  You should also seek out the next best step if the former is too burdensome to your budget.  I'm no expert in this but wonder if several good coats of non-leaded paint might provide a seal of some sort.

Attached is a link that I hope may be helpful -- http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/5055.html

That said -- I am crazy about old houses and wish you happiness and longevity in yours.

Best,

Venson

mole

Reply #3   Jul 24, 2008 9:56 am
Venson is giving you the best advice on taking care of this problem,have the pro's do it,and worry about the regular cleaning later........

MOLE

techphet

Reply #4   Jul 24, 2008 1:02 pm
Thanks for the replies all.

We are renting this home and are barely able to afford that at the time (hence the reason we're unable to afford the expensive vacuums as well) so anything involving professionals is going to be out of the question.  Sealing/painting the entire place would also end up consuming quite a bit of time and money.  I'm looking at doing so to the areas that are affected the worst but seeing as we're living in the home right now I am going to use *something* to clean it on a regular basis.

As for a few of the questions in the first response:

I don't need a bagless or upright- I started looking at those because those are what I've used in the past.

I'm not sure if the "fully sealed" Eureka that I've been looking at tin the store is a bagless or not (it is not the same one shown on their internet site.

There are no small children living here- I would not choose to live here with kids.  I know lead is a much more serious issue with them than it is with adults.

I'm not sure how quickly the lead paint chips are falling from the walls.  The basement is the only room where I see them "all over the place" but it could have been decades since someone last cleaned up down there.  Between the lead paint, asbestos, radon, and the other dangers that come along with living in an old home, we may end up leaving here after our one year lease is up.  Until then I would like to do my best to keep things clean.

So...

The Eureka "sealed-HEPA,"  a cheap "HEPA media," or saving up hundreds for I have no idea what yet... ?

Thanks again for all the responses, I wish I had more options in front of me right now.
CarmineD

Reply #5   Jul 24, 2008 7:11 pm
techphet wrote:
I'm not sure how quickly the lead paint chips are falling from the walls.  The basement is the only room where I see them "all over the place" but it could have been decades since someone last cleaned up down there.  Between the lead paint, asbestos, radon, and the other dangers that come along with living in an old home, we may end up leaving here after our one year lease is up.  Until then I would like to do my best to keep things clean.

David:

With houses of this era, the pipes in the basement are usually wrapped in asbestos linings that spew it into the air.   All it takes is the vibration of walking on the floors above to release this asbestos into the environment.  You and others would be best served avoiding any stays in the basement and keeping it permanently sealed off. 

Carmine D.  

techphet

Reply #6   Jul 24, 2008 8:59 pm
Carmine,

Thanks for the warning- asbestos is something I've been learning about lately too.

It's depressing to think of sealing the basement off as our washer and dryer are located there.

We have not seen any pipe wrapping aside from modern-day foam insulation.  I think the pipes have been semi-recently renovated as they're all copper.  The only question this raises in my head is what was there beforehand and if the asbestos were removed professionally... I'm doubting this is the case. 

Ahh, perhaps I can wrap our washer and dryer in a plastic bubble? :) LOL 

Thanks again Carmine- this has been quite the learning experience!

David
This message was modified Jul 24, 2008 by techphet
CarmineD

Reply #7   Jul 25, 2008 7:30 am
techphet wrote:
Carmine,

Thanks for the warning- asbestos is something I've been learning about lately too.

It's depressing to think of sealing the basement off as our washer and dryer are located there.

We have not seen any pipe wrapping aside from modern-day foam insulation.  I think the pipes have been semi-recently renovated as they're all copper.  The only question this raises in my head is what was there beforehand and if the asbestos were removed professionally... I'm doubting this is the case. 

Ahh, perhaps I can wrap our washer and dryer in a plastic bubble? :) LOL 

Thanks again Carmine- this has been quite the learning experience!

David

Hello David:

Water and sewer pipes of this housing era were largely made from iron.  Over the years dirt, soot and grime builds up inside the pipes and restricts the flow of water and sewage.  Eventually this results in leaks and holes.  Plumbers replace the old iron pipes with copper as needed.  Probably resulted in the asbetos wrappings getting removed and disposed. 

On a positive note, several short visits to the laundry room over the course of the week and for the year of the lease should be neglible for adults.

Carmine D.

techphet

Reply #8   Jul 25, 2008 8:21 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hello David:

Water and sewer pipes of this housing era were largely made from iron.  Over the years dirt, soot and grime builds up inside the pipes and restricts the flow of water and sewage.  Eventually this results in leaks and holes.  Plumbers replace the old iron pipes with copper as needed.  Probably resulted in the asbetos wrappings getting removed and disposed. 

On a positive note, several short visits to the laundry room over the course of the week and for the year of the lease should be neglible for adults.

Carmine D.

Hi again Carmen,

All the water pipes must have been replaced, I haven't found one.  I have seen a few iron sewer pipes around.  In fact, a 3 foot section of one of them was just replaced after it had cracked and leaked onto an electrical wire which, along with the fuse box, is now being replaced as well.  My bedroom wall was knocked out to access this pipe and I have been worried that perhaps there was asbestos in the plaster/wall.  I can only worry about so many things at once though!  I never realized it would be this exhausting living in such an old home.  Luckily it does have a few nice benefits as well.

I'll definitely keep basement visits as short as possible.  Plenty of space upstairs, no need to linger down there. 

David
CarmineD

Reply #9   Jul 25, 2008 2:59 pm
techphet wrote:
Hi again Carmen, 

My bedroom wall was knocked out to access this pipe and I have been worried that perhaps there was asbestos in the plaster/wall.  I can only worry about so many things at once though!  I never realized it would be this exhausting living in such an old home.  Luckily it does have a few nice benefits as well.

I'll definitely keep basement visits as short as possible.  Plenty of space upstairs, no need to linger down there. 

David

David:

Not to worry.  Worse than the old plaster and lattice boards used in these houses was the insulation behind the walls.  I suspect it was all covered over and in with new insulation and the wall opening was replaced with plaster board.  So you should be good to go.  Old houses do present their problems.  But a little common sense and cautionary improvements go a long way.

Carmine D.

Replies: 1 - 9 of 9View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42