Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > dyson belt question

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Vacuumfreeeke

dyson belt question
Original Message   Jul 18, 2008 6:20 pm
Sorry to keep asking so many Dyson questions.  This topics of this forum seem to be mostly about big box brands anyway.  I don't have to ask questions about my Kirbys and Hoover Convertibles... I can understand them! 

Anyway, I used my Dyson DC14 (should have gotten a 17 or at least an 07 instead, this must be the worst model of all) at a friends house.  He has a Bissell Clearview vacuum... a cheap Wal-mart special.  When I went to his place, my Dyson barely got anything up.  His Bissell got up a lot more dirt afterwards that my Dyson was not able to pull up.  Probably due to the weird brush roll.  The suction and air flow on my machine are fine, so I'm starting to think it's the belt that is the problem.  When I push the machine forward fast while its running, I hear a weird rattling sound. 

My question is, even though the belt is SUPPOSED to last a life time and the user is not SUPPOSED to be able to change their own belt w/o taking it to a Dyson authorized service center, how can I do it myself?  Do I have to buy the whole clutch assembly, or can I just get the belts?  I'm not worried about voiding the warranty, since I bought the machine used. 

Any advice?

TIA  :o)

Replies: 7 - 16 of 31Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Airblade

Re: dyson belt question
Reply #7   Jul 19, 2008 9:58 am
Vacuumfreeeke wrote:
Sorry to keep asking so many Dyson questions.  This topics of this forum seem to be mostly about big box brands anyway.  I don't have to ask questions about my Kirbys and Hoover Convertibles... I can understand them! 

Anyway, I used my Dyson DC14 (should have gotten a 17 or at least an 07 instead, this must be the worst model of all) at a friends house.  He has a Bissell Clearview vacuum... a cheap Wal-mart special.  When I went to his place, my Dyson barely got anything up.  His Bissell got up a lot more dirt afterwards that my Dyson was not able to pull up.  Probably due to the weird brush roll.  The suction and air flow on my machine are fine, so I'm starting to think it's the belt that is the problem.  When I push the machine forward fast while its running, I hear a weird rattling sound. 

My question is, even though the belt is SUPPOSED to last a life time and the user is not SUPPOSED to be able to change their own belt w/o taking it to a Dyson authorized service center, how can I do it myself?  Do I have to buy the whole clutch assembly, or can I just get the belts?  I'm not worried about voiding the warranty, since I bought the machine used. 

Any advice?

TIA  :o)

Best bet is to replace the whole clutch assembly.  It is possible to just replace a belt, but it is a much more difficult task.  Also, there are two belts in the DC14 and replacing the clutch would take care of both
mole

Reply #8   Jul 19, 2008 10:11 am
Hey V.F., airblade right its easier to replace the complete assembly than to try and change just the belt on the clutch part,they are riveted together. Now you know why dyson has discontinued this system on the newer machines?.Even when the new clutch and belts are installed it only takes another 4 or 5 months to do the same thing.

The machine just cant handle any higher pile carpet, and the brush loading from pet hair or human hair is just annoying,

The brush  has been beefed up on the 23 and 24 series ,and the belt system has been changed also, The17 is probally the way you want to go next time.........

MOLE

Vacuumfreeeke

Reply #9   Jul 19, 2008 1:27 pm
I know I would have been much happier with the DC17, but I couldn't find any used.  The attachment handle has a grip, the brush roll has its own motor, and the attachments aren't stored on top of the dirt tank... so, I quite agree :o) 

This Dyson thing is giving me a headache... I don't even want to think about it anymore. I think a Fantom Fury would outperform it!  I have tremendous suction, the brush roll seems to turn OK, yet it can't out clean a 60 dollar Bissell.  It makes me sick! 

Thanks for the PM... I will respond when I'm not running late for work  :o)
Vacuumfreeeke

Reply #10   Jul 19, 2008 1:31 pm
This forum is SOOOO inane... no spell check and no preview button.  I mean to say, the attachment handle grip is more comfortable on the 17 than the 14.  I do wonder if they will ever lengthen the wand to an appropriate size in future models.
CarmineD

Reply #11   Jul 19, 2008 2:55 pm
mole wrote:
Hey V.F., airblade right its easier to replace the complete assembly than to try and change just the belt on the clutch part,they are riveted together. Now you know why dyson has discontinued this system on the newer machines?.Even when the new clutch and belts are installed it only takes another 4 or 5 months to do the same thing.

The machine just cant handle any higher pile carpet, and the brush loading from pet hair or human hair is just annoying,

MOLE

Hiya MOLE:

How many of these type of dyson problems do you see now?  And what is the cost to repair?

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jul 19, 2008 by CarmineD
M00seUK

Reply #12   Jul 19, 2008 3:01 pm
Vacuumfreeeke wrote:
This forum is SOOOO inane... no spell check and no preview button.  I mean to say, the attachment handle grip is more comfortable on the 17 than the 14.  I do wonder if they will ever lengthen the wand to an appropriate size in future models.

The worst thing I find is that URL links can't be formed when using the FireFox browser.
mole

Reply #13   Jul 19, 2008 4:33 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hiya MOLE:

How many of these type of dyson problems do you see now?  And what is the cost to repair?

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine,the usual dc07/14 problems are belt and brush related,nothing really new that we did not already know about. The 7 and 14 just cant adjust to higher pile carpeting, you know the dreaded clutch chatter,if the customer says the machine is chattering,we are honest with them and tell them a clutch and belt change [MIGHT] rectify the problem for 3 or 4 months.Then its up to them if they authorize the repair,[close to a C note], with no warranty on the work.

The second biggest problem are the lack of filter maintaince, or refusing to empty the bin,causes real problems with parts getting distorted,.

I personally dont see what this dyson big deal is really about>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

MOLE

CarmineD

Reply #14   Jul 19, 2008 5:48 pm
Thanks MOLE:

Suppose Vacuumfreeeke wants to drill the rivots off and replace the belts and brush bar; what would that cost him? What is the level of technical skill, ability, and time to complete the repair for a novice?  Can screws, nuts and lock washers then be used to replace the dyson rivots?  Or will these come loose with use?

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jul 19, 2008 by CarmineD
Vacuumfreeeke

Reply #15   Jul 19, 2008 6:31 pm
I would probably want to replace the whole clutch assembly.  If I do it at all.  I'm still not 100 percent convinced that's the problem because the brush roll seems to spin fine.  That rattling sound I hear when I push the machine forward fast could be the baby wheels on the sole plate spinning.  Thank goodness the carpet in my apartment is very low.  Dysoninventsbig, thanks for the link to instructions on how to replace the bet.  WHAT AN INVOLVED PROCESS... Someone should AT LEAST slap good ol James in the face for creating such a contraption.... and then lock in in a room with only a dirt devil and force him to vacuum with it for the rest of his life. 

I hate that Dyson lies to its customers about having automatic height adjustment... when in reality it is non-existent height adjustment.  Other manufacturers do that too, but they don't cost what the Dyson does.  The soleplate pivots, but that does NOT change one bit the height of the brush roll.

Oh yeah, when I was naming my collection, I forgot a very special member.  My Sanitaire SC887!  I love the messy, but powerful thing.

Vacuumfreeeke

Reply #16   Jul 19, 2008 7:21 pm
Before I go through all this, is there a way I can test to be 100 percent sure the belt is the problem?
Replies: 7 - 16 of 31Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42