Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > dyson belt question

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Vacuumfreeeke

dyson belt question
Original Message   Jul 18, 2008 6:20 pm
Sorry to keep asking so many Dyson questions.  This topics of this forum seem to be mostly about big box brands anyway.  I don't have to ask questions about my Kirbys and Hoover Convertibles... I can understand them! 

Anyway, I used my Dyson DC14 (should have gotten a 17 or at least an 07 instead, this must be the worst model of all) at a friends house.  He has a Bissell Clearview vacuum... a cheap Wal-mart special.  When I went to his place, my Dyson barely got anything up.  His Bissell got up a lot more dirt afterwards that my Dyson was not able to pull up.  Probably due to the weird brush roll.  The suction and air flow on my machine are fine, so I'm starting to think it's the belt that is the problem.  When I push the machine forward fast while its running, I hear a weird rattling sound. 

My question is, even though the belt is SUPPOSED to last a life time and the user is not SUPPOSED to be able to change their own belt w/o taking it to a Dyson authorized service center, how can I do it myself?  Do I have to buy the whole clutch assembly, or can I just get the belts?  I'm not worried about voiding the warranty, since I bought the machine used. 

Any advice?

TIA  :o)

Replies: 22 - 31 of 31Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
mole

Re: dyson belt question
Reply #22   Jul 20, 2008 7:57 am
Meet the new boss the same as the old boss, we wont get FOOLED again, great song......................

MOLE
Vacuumfreeeke

Reply #23   Jul 20, 2008 12:36 pm
Actually, his punishment should be to use a dirt devil (which doesn't deservet to be capitalized) that is bagless (the green vision with the red rocker switch halfway down comes to mind) so he can see it clog... his most dreaded fear! 

How can he not get sued for advertising "automatic height adjustment".... or for claiming that his vacuums are the first to not lose suction.  Has he ever heard of Rainbow or Filter Queen? 

I will try the the sole plate and hand pressure on brush roll and see what I come up with.

Motorhead

Reply #24   Jul 20, 2008 2:49 pm
Filter Queen does clog as it uses a filter cone, although it can hold its suction a lot longer than a typical bagged cleaner as air is being drawn through all sides.

The interesting thing about Rainbow is that they never made any mention of (or capitalized on) the fact that their machines don't lose suction, seemed to me that from Rexair's point of view that was second compared to the (theoretically more important) idea that the machine uses water to catch the dirt.
This message was modified Jul 20, 2008 by Motorhead
Vacuumfreeeke

Reply #25   Jul 20, 2008 3:49 pm
After I typed that, I thought that even though Filter Queens use cyclonic action, that they have to clog because they use paper filter cones.  I imagine Tri-star to be the same.  What about Thermax?  They use water... I'm sure they were around before Dyson!
Vacuumfreeeke

Reply #26   Jul 21, 2008 11:08 am
I used the Dyson today.  I was not able to stop the brush roll by hand. I applied a lot of pressure and it actually started hurting my hand!  I did run the vacuum without the sole plate.  THE NOISE WAS NOT PRESENT without the sole plate!  And boy the did the vacuum glide across the floor without it.  Dyson should at least make a metal sole plate (but it would be the only piece of metal on the whole machine... I think even the wries and screws are plastic!).  I'm going to armor all the sole plate and see what that does to its performance.  It keeps getting dirty... the plastic must be very porous. 
Motorhead

Reply #27   Jul 21, 2008 4:56 pm
The DC15 has a metal soleplate.
DC18

Dyson, Sebo and Bissell user

Reply #28   Jul 22, 2008 3:23 am
I wished they had carried on the metal soleplate from the DC15 onto the others like the DC18, DC24 and DC25!
CarmineD

Reply #29   Jul 22, 2008 6:43 am
DC18 wrote:
I wished they had carried on the metal soleplate from the DC15 onto the others like the DC18, DC24 and DC25!

Dyson could produce an after market metal soleplate for its models too and let users buy if so inclined for the additional cost.  Even outsource the job to a parts maker[s]. 

Carmine D.

DC18

Dyson, Sebo and Bissell user

Reply #30   Jul 23, 2008 6:12 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Dyson could produce an after market metal soleplate for its models too and let users buy if so inclined for the additional cost.  Even outsource the job to a parts maker[s]. 

Carmine D.

True, but this would only work on models like the DC07 and DC14 as the DC15, DC18, DC24 and DC25 had fixed soleplates due to the way you remove the brush bar or brush bars! 

I was led to believe the only reason they used a metal soleplate on the DC15 was to aid movement and reduce friction!  Probably don't require it on the other ball models due to them being lighter!

DC18

CarmineD

Reply #31   Jul 24, 2008 6:55 am
DC18 wrote:
True, but this would only work on models like the DC07 and DC14 as the DC15, DC18, DC24 and DC25 had fixed soleplates due to the way you remove the brush bar or brush bars! 

DC18

DC18:

Thanks for the response.  I suspect dyson would choose the oldest models, where replacements would be a consideration, then gauge the sales to determine whether to continue with metal.  Either as original equipment and/or after market.

Carmine D.

Replies: 22 - 31 of 31Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42