Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Motor replacement for Lux Epic canister

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Mister_Bojack

Motor replacement for Lux Epic canister
Original Message   Jul 15, 2008 12:21 pm
I have a Lux Epic 8000 canister, and the motor is gone. I'd like to replace it with a more powerful motor and I know this will require some modification. Yes, I'm talking about a "bojack" procedure. I'll probably raid the boneyard at my friends vac shop for another motor. Has anyone ever done this? Any suggestions for what brand of machine I should look for to pull a motor from? I really don't want to replace it with the same motor because I never thought the original motor was strong enough in the first place.
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
mole

Re: Motor replacement for Lux Epic canister
Reply #1   Jul 15, 2008 1:38 pm
The motor is gone? Where did it go?

MOLE
Vernon

Reply #2   Jul 15, 2008 2:44 pm
Mole, you be nice!!

I hate to burst your bubble when it comes to motor replacement, but I think I would replace the vac instead.  When it comes to motors, I have seen the same motor in the Reni/8000 and the Epic 6500.  Stick your finger in the end of the hose on a 6500, nice and powerful, do the same on the Reni/8000 style, not much there.  I swear it is the bag chamber, as if you look at the reni/8000, the bag gets nearly sucked to the wall, the ridges are very shallow, whereas on the other lux machines, the ridges are more pronounced. 

Just me two cents worth though.
mole

Reply #3   Jul 15, 2008 4:10 pm
O.K. Vernon,i am sorry[not] the 6500 and 8000 share the same raised fan 2 stage motor, both motors run the same and develop the same cfm and I.W.L. the bore sizes on the hoses are the same,the 8000 more than likely needs a hose ,weve been through this before, the 8000 is considered the best lux made in the late 90's, I REALLY LIKE THIS MACHINE,WHEN EVERYTHINGS RIGHT THEY ARE UNBEATABLE...........

MOLE
Mister_Bojack

Reply #4   Jul 15, 2008 8:37 pm
I really like the machine too, just not the motor. About 10 yrs. ago, I put a 10 amp Ametek from a Kenmore in a Renny. I had to do little plastic chopping to make room for it in the housing, and then fill in the gaps with spray foam insulation, but it was well worth the trouble. I love that Lux power nozzle when it digs in to the carpeting.  I just don't want to do all of that again if I don't have to. That's why I'm curious if theres a motor that excactly the same length with the same size (or smaller) armature housing.
This message was modified Jul 15, 2008 by Mister_Bojack
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42