Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > dyson usability problem

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Vacuumfreeeke

dyson usability problem
Original Message   Jul 12, 2008 2:57 pm
I wonder if anyone else has this problem.  I was using my DC14 as a straight suction machine with the awesome low reach floor tool (that's my favorite part of the whole Dyson!).  Well I'm 6 feet tall and that inane telescopic wand system is just too short for me to use comfortably.  I almost have to bend over to use the silly thing.  If I were doing a huge home with bare floors, I would have a sore back by the time I was finished.  I was actually just vacuuming the carpet in my small apartment, so it wasn't awful, but not fun either.  I wanted to see how much dirt the suction alone could be before I used the machine as an upright.  I was quite impressed with the amount of cat hair and other debris the suction alone got.  It got the surface litter in one pass, and there wasn't much at all left for the upright part to get.

Anyway... is there a way I can extend the length of the wand.  I think another 6 inches or so would make it more comfortable, but what would I use?  Anyone else have a similar issue with the Dyson wand being too short? 

Kind of makes me just want to use the dyson floor nozzle on my Kenmore Iridium... but that's no fun because you can't see the dirt "live". 

Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
HARDSELL

Re: dyson usability problem
Reply #1   Jul 12, 2008 5:22 pm
Vacuumfreeeke wrote:
I wonder if anyone else has this problem.  I was using my DC14 as a straight suction machine with the awesome low reach floor tool (that's my favorite part of the whole Dyson!).  Well I'm 6 feet tall and that inane telescopic wand system is just too short for me to use comfortably.  I almost have to bend over to use the silly thing.  If I were doing a huge home with bare floors, I would have a sore back by the time I was finished.  I was actually just vacuuming the carpet in my small apartment, so it wasn't awful, but not fun either.  I wanted to see how much dirt the suction alone could be before I used the machine as an upright.  I was quite impressed with the amount of cat hair and other debris the suction alone got.  It got the surface litter in one pass, and there wasn't much at all left for the upright part to get.

Anyway... is there a way I can extend the length of the wand.  I think another 6 inches or so would make it more comfortable, but what would I use?  Anyone else have a similar issue with the Dyson wand being too short? 

Kind of makes me just want to use the dyson floor nozzle on my Kenmore Iridium... but that's no fun because you can't see the dirt "live". 

Did it ever occur to you to simply turn off the brush roll when using on hard surface floors. Dyson is the only upright that I have used that did not blow the dust and dirt away before it could be vacuumed.

Vacuumfreeeke

Reply #2   Jul 12, 2008 5:54 pm
Dyson vacuum cleaners are very bulky and it is hard to vacuum a kitchen with them as an upright.... Plus, with the floor tool, the suction is much more concentrated.  I've NEVER met a machine that didn't have superior performance on bare floors with a straight suction nozzle attached to the hose end than with the brush roll turned off as an upright.  The Dyson is no exception.
HARDSELL

Reply #3   Jul 12, 2008 6:24 pm
Vacuumfreeeke wrote:
Dyson vacuum cleaners are very bulky and it is hard to vacuum a kitchen with them as an upright.... Plus, with the floor tool, the suction is much more concentrated.  I've NEVER met a machine that didn't have superior performance on bare floors with a straight suction nozzle attached to the hose end than with the brush roll turned off as an upright.  The Dyson is no exception.

I have owned and used many uprights.  Other than the Oreck the Dyson is as easy to manuever as any ( IMO ).  I agree about the straight suctiion.  My kitchen floors never get too dirty to be easily cleaned with just the brush roll off.  I do not like to use a nozzle and hose nor do I like pulling a canister around the room.   We all have our preferences. 
mole

Reply #4   Jul 15, 2008 4:34 pm
Vacuumfreeeke wrote:

Hey V.F. i can only gather from the way you are commenting about your dyson, any upright with on board tools have the same problems,

most customers break out the cleaner clean the carpeting and put it back in the storage closet,with the cord unwraped. who wants to go through the nonsense of trying to do above the floor cleaning or hardwood floors the right way [with the cleaning set],

THE easier the better, i still have the best vacuum [my house cleaner] and she's nice to look at too...........

MOLE
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42