Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > “Anything” Dyson that makes news.

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
DysonInventsBig

Original Message   Jun 28, 2008 12:41 am

Dyson is in the news frequently and so a dedicated thread.

This message was modified Aug 2, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

Replies: 152 - 161 of 624Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
DysonInventsBig

Reply #152   Jul 6, 2008 6:31 am
mole wrote:
Hi Vacuum people.

The on going debate about auto height adjustments VS manual carpet height adjusters,has pros and cons.

The people that argue against them have a legit reason,99% of the consumers dont know what adjustment to use on their carpet height.

The auto adjustment is o.k. FOR MOST CARPETING, For heavy pile carpets with a thick padding these machine shall i say in a nice way  REALLY STRUGGLE.

There has to be a fine balance of the brushroll,belt and type of belt, and enough suction to pull dirt and dust into the bag or bin.[Not an overkill  by suction or brush roll design],

Most companies are still finding it very difficult to find this balance,Better step up the R@D,very few vacuum companies have figured this out.

I will offer a hint for them,any machine that uses a flat type belt or V belt,or even the trick kevlar belt,and has no height adjustments will continue to be problematic on todays carpeting.

Remember that 95% of vacuum trade ins or returns are due to belt and brushroll problems..........................

MOLE

Thanks.  I read a Sebo patent that said it had a non-motorized auto height adjustment mechanisium.  Sebo said one of the advantages to non-motorized was that motorized was problematic due to motor failure or alike.  Have  you or anyone ever seen a Sebo non-motorized height adjustment?        DIB

DC18

Dyson, Sebo and Bissell user

Reply #153   Jul 6, 2008 6:55 am
Hello DIB

Thats alot of units sold on the DC07!!

By the way my Sebo Felix has a non motorised height adjustment!

DC18

CarmineD

Reply #154   Jul 6, 2008 6:58 am
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Today's Price: $379.95

Carmine, according to you the WM crowd is not buying Dyson's, this HSN one day sale proves there's still a lot of life in the DC07 and there are plenty who do like and can afford them (at the right price).        DIB

Hey DIB:

Where's the proof?  HSN?  Sorry.  Takes more to convince me than HSN say so.  It's hype and hawk.  Makes for a good show.  Get the TV crowd lathered up to peak their demand and buy before it sells out.  Like old fashioned auctions.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jul 6, 2008 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #155   Jul 6, 2008 7:05 am
Hey Dusty:

You forgot one.  The halo, the most recent upright to launch in the USA.  With the UV-C light for germ extermination.  MSRP $499 but cheaper on store shelves now.  Has a manual rug height adjustment.  The standard, the norm, the expectation for all full size uprights in the USA industry.  Not on any dysons.  NONE.

With regard to the ORECK upright, its well documented here by me in discussions with MOLE that even the most expensive ORECK upright won't work well on high pile shags.  And ORECK store staff are specifically told to ask/nix the sale if customers have these carpets.  Nothing new from you, my man.  I said it first.

The majority of new uprights made and sold in the USA every year have rug height adjustments.  And headlights.  Industry standards.  Dyson doesn't.  NONE.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #156   Jul 6, 2008 7:07 am
dusty wrote:
I think he may have been a politician in his past life.

Dusty

I lived in a suburb of Wash DC for many years.  What can I say?  And worked in Wash DC for some years!  Lobbyist for the vacuum industry?  Who knows? 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #157   Jul 6, 2008 7:12 am
DC18 wrote:

I wouldn't say the pivoting head on the DC07 and DC14 are heavy (in my opinion)!  The idea or function is for it to float on top of the carpet.  How I see it thinker\longer pile carpet surely let air flow easier through the carpet piles unlike shorter\low pile carpets!

DC18

Hello DC18:

Here's the flaw in your thinking, which in theory is great but practice is not.  It is legendary in the USA with the HOOVER Dial in the early 60's.  Also lauded for self-adjusting floating head.  But murder to push and pull over many of the carpets of the day.  HOOVER added a 3 position manual height adjustment within 1 year and the now famous automatic power drive shortly after.

The floating head 'sinks' into medium and high carpets [especially with backing and padding].  Making the dysons DC07 and DC14 hard to push and pull.  And setting off the clutch shut off on the brush bar. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #158   Jul 6, 2008 7:18 am
CarmineD wrote:
Dusty:

The latter so much so, dyson has a work around for it.  Remove the permanent gaskets on the permanent dyson soleplate.  One gasket first, and if that doesn't work, then the other.  If these work arounds don't work, then you're told to return the dyson.  Why?  Because if dysons won't work on your carpets after these 2 work arounds, they just won't work.  Period.  Which gets me back to my original point.  Not made for USA carpets especially if big box store venues.  Buyers get them home.  They don't work.  They are returned.  Ops. There's another dyson refurb.

Carmine D.

Surprising no one of the dyson menschkins commented on the dyson work around and my conspicuous use of permanent.

After laughing at the suggestions and actually doing them to see if they work, I made this argument with several dyson help line techs about this work around.  Suppose like many vacuum users I have carpets with different heights and thicknesses.  If I use the work around to assist with vacuuming on one style of carpet [keep the gawdawful ratcheting noise from giving the household members anxiety attacks], rug performance then suffers on the other rugs and carpets.  Why?  The soleplate and gaskets are meant to be permanent on the dysons.  Not to be taken off and on [get it: permanent] for every change in carpet style and cleaning.  Dyson's help response:  Return the dyson to the retailer it won't work on your carpets.  Ops! There goes another dyson refurb.

Carmine D.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #159   Jul 6, 2008 7:21 am

Carmine,

I invite you to phone the FTC and NY Times and alike and share with them how Barry Diller’s HSN are lying, I am certain they would be interested.  Then let us know how the scheme works too.        DIB

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=990CE0DD173EF932A15753C1A961958260

CarmineD

Reply #160   Jul 6, 2008 7:23 am
DysonInventsBig wrote:

Carmine,

I invite you to phone the FTC and NY Times and alike and share with them how Barry Diller’s HSN are lying, I am certain they would be interested.  Then let us know how the scheme works too.        DIB

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=990CE0DD173EF932A15753C1A961958260

Hey DIB:

I hear Barry is looking to sell HSN!  Have you?  The NEW YORK Times.  Ah yes!  Now there's an honest newsprint paper?  For bleeding heart liberals maybe!

Did I say lie?  I said showmanship Mr. DIB!  It's part of sales.  You know that by now.  Tell me something: How do they get those sales numbers to record so quickly and accurately on the TV screen when it takes many hours after the voting elections to record the tallies?  Interesting?  Maybe I'll ask Barry and he can tell me? 

Carmine D.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #161   Jul 6, 2008 7:32 am
CarmineD wrote:
Surprising no one of the dyson menschkins commented on the dyson work around and my conspicuous use of permanent.

After laughing at the suggestions and actually doing them to see if they work, I made this argument with several dyson help line techs about this work around.  Suppose like many vacuum users I have carpets with different heights and thicknesses.  If I use the work around to assist with vacuuming on one style of carpet [keep the gawdawful ratcheting noise from giving the household members anxiety attacks], rug performance then suffers on the other rugs and carpets.  Why?  The soleplate and gaskets are meant to be permanent on the dysons.  Not to be taken off off and on for every change in carpet style and cleaning.  Dyson response:  Return the dyson to the retailer it won't work on your carpets.  Ops! There goes another dyson refurb.

Carmine D.

Carmine,

You make a valid point (making a fix for one carpet, but having other carpet requirements too).  The bigger issue and real issue is what percentage of Dyson buyers have this problem.  My guess is - not enough to matter.    DIB

Replies: 152 - 161 of 624Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42