Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > “Anything” Dyson that makes news.

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
DysonInventsBig

Original Message   Jun 28, 2008 12:41 am

Dyson is in the news frequently and so a dedicated thread.

This message was modified Aug 2, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

Replies: 141 - 150 of 624Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Reply #141   Jul 5, 2008 6:08 pm
dusty wrote:
Eureka have models with no height adjustment as do Kenmore.  IMO the height adjust is  useless for most people,  the majority of machines that come in for repair are almost always set to the lowest setting.

Dusty

EUREKA and Kenmore have models with manual rug height adjustments.  The Kenmore Progressive models, both in the upright and canisters.  Also top of the line models.  The EUREKA upright Boss Smart vacuum [$150] and Optima [$60] have rug height adjustments.  No dysons have rug height adjustments.  NONE.

The Electrolux Oxygen canister [owned, operated, and made by EUREKA] has a manual rug height adjustment.  As does the Twin Clean bagless canister [also owned, operated and made by EUREKA].   Also both are top of the line canisters.  No dysons have rug height adjustments.  NONE.

It is self-evident that in the USA rug height adjustments on vacuums are the norm, the standard, the expectation.  Even if dyson doesn't have them on any of its models.  NONE.   

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jul 5, 2008 by CarmineD
DysonInventsBig

Reply #142   Jul 5, 2008 6:42 pm
dusty wrote:
Eureka have models with no height adjustment as do Kenmore.  IMO the height adjust is  useless for most people,  the majority of machines that come in for repair are almost always set to the lowest setting.

Dusty
CarmineD wrote:
EUREKA and Kenmore have models with manual rug height adjustments.  The Kenmore Progressive models, both in the upright and canisters.  Also top of the line models.  The EUREKA upright Boss Smart vacuum [$150] and Optima [$60] have rug height adjustments.  No dysons have rug height adjustments.  NONE.

The Electrolux Oxygen canister [owned, operated, and made by EUREKA] has a manual rug height adjustment.  As does the Twin Clean bagless canister [also owned, operated and made by EUREKA].   Also both are top of the line canisters.  No dysons have rug height adjustments.  NONE.

It is self-evident that in the USA rug height adjustments on vacuums are the norm, the standard, the expectation.  Even if dyson doesn't have them on any of its models.  NONE.  And HS's royal Eminence upright doesn't have one. 

Carmine D.

Carmine,

Dusty has a point with real life users…  How many folks actually dial in their height adjustments or even understand how to?  Dyson, it seems built the floating nozzle for this segment of people.  I have yet to read a review from a Dyson owner complaining of Dyson’s lack of height adjustments, besides the Oreck has no height adjustments.        DIB

CarmineD

Reply #143   Jul 5, 2008 6:49 pm
ORECK is a lightweight and only 8 pounds not full size upright like dyson at 18 plus.  ORECK doesn't need a rug height adjustment and works well on all carpets save very high shag carpets. 

Dusty may have a point about rug height adjustments for carpets in Canada and UK.  Not the USA.  Not now and not in the past.  Rug height adjustments have been a staple on uprights for as long as the industry exists.  From the earliest 100 year old USA makes and models to the latest and greatest USA makes and models.  Rug adjustments and headlights have been the norm.  The standard.  The expectation.

At best dyson has 10 percent of the annual new vacuum sales in the USA.  20 million new vacuums are sold each year.  I'd say as a best guess that 75 percent of the new uprights sold every year have manual rug height adjustments.  Conservatively and consistently speaking.  That's a substantial majority.   If that were not the case, the rug height adjustments on vacuums would have gone the same route as sprayers and de-mothers.  And just as quick.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jul 5, 2008 by CarmineD
mole

Reply #144   Jul 5, 2008 8:39 pm
Hi Vacuum people.

The on going debate about auto height adjustments VS manual carpet height adjusters,has pros and cons.

The people that argue against them have a legit reason,99% of the consumers dont know what adjustment to use on their carpet height.

The auto adjustment is o.k. FOR MOST CARPETING, For heavy pile carpets with a thick padding these machine shall i say in a nice way  REALLY STRUGGLE.

There has to be a fine balance of the brushroll,belt and type of belt, and enough suction to pull dirt and dust into the bag or bin.[Not an overkill  by suction or brush roll design],

Most companies are still finding it very difficult to find this balance,Better step up the R@D,very few vacuum companies have figured this out.

I will offer a hint for them,any machine that uses a flat type belt or V belt,or even the trick kevlar belt,and has no height adjustments will continue to be problematic on todays carpeting.

Remember that 95% of vacuum trade ins or returns are due to belt and brushroll problems..........................

MOLE
dusty

Reply #145   Jul 5, 2008 9:15 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Dusty:

I stick by my statement.  Rug height adjustments are the standard for the industry for full size uprights.  Standard meaning the norm.  The norm because the majority of full sized uprights sold in big box stores and indy-s have rug height adjustments.  Is that better wordsmithing for all the dyson menschkins?

The point that I was making before this thread got diverted is this:  The dyson DC07 and DC14 are not suited for many USA carpets.  Why?  3 simple reasons.  First, the puny brush bar.  Not the industry standard in the USA.  Second, the lack of a rug height adjustment.  Also not the industry standard.  Third, the silly clutch brush bar shut off that is designed for obstructions.  It is engaged too easily by many of the carpets in the USA, unlike the UK. 

The latter so much so, dyson has a work around for it.  Remove the permanent gaskets on the permanent dyson soleplate.  One gasket first, and if that doesn't work, then the other.  If these work arounds don't work, then you're told to return the dyson.  Why?  Because if dysons won't work on your carpets after these 2 work arounds, they just won't work.  Period.  Which gets me back to my original point.  Not made for USA carpets especially if big box store venues.  Buyers get them home.  They don't work.  They are returned.  Ops. There's another dyson refurb.

Carmine D.

Your statement was actually height adjustments were the standard for ALL full size uprights.  You keep forgetting the All part when you requote yourself.

Dusty
This message was modified Jul 5, 2008 by dusty
DysonInventsBig

Reply #146   Jul 5, 2008 9:20 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Hello, Today July 5th HSN's "Today Special" is a Dyson DC07 (white on dark grey) packaged/bundled deal.  The bundled deal is - It comes with 3 extra tools and free shipping.

Question:  Are independent Dyson dealers allowed by Dyson to match this bundle and price?  If not, what can they do to respond to such a price?  Thanks.        DIB

Taken from HSN's web site...
Today's Price: $379.95
HSN Price: $429.95
 | You Save: $50.00
Retail Value: $549.78
FREE Shipping & Handling
Item: 345-186
Dyson DC07 Upright Cyclonic Vacuum Cleaner Includes: (The extras are highlighted in orange)

• Crevice tool
  • Stair tool (floor tool)
  • Brush tool
  • Soft brush tool
  • Hard floor tool
  • Mini turbine head
  • Quick Start guide
  • Product manual

Hey DC18,

You should know the above HSN DC07 white on dark grey exclusive has sold 6500 units thus far today.        DIB

dusty

Reply #147   Jul 5, 2008 9:42 pm
CarmineD wrote:
BTW, the RICCAR Brilliance and Radiance, its top of the line uprights, have manual rug height adjustments.  As well as the 1800 RICCAR Premium canister and the 1700 RICCAR Simplicity canister.  Both top of the line full size canister vacuums.  6 position if I recall correctly.  Also the RICCAR 1500 Series canisters [mid size] have 6 position height adjustments.  If I recall.

None of the dysons do.  NONE.

It is self-evident that in the USA rug height adjustments on vacuums are the norm, the standard, the expectation.  Even if dyson doesn't have them on any of its models.  NONE.   

Carmine D.

Gee, thanks for all the information.  I am well aware that all these vacuums have height adjustments, that was never the issue at hand.  You said height adjusts were standard on ALL   full size US uprights, I gave you a few where that wasn't the case, you said that my list didn't count because they were sold by indys and asked for box store vacs...I gave those to you too.  For my trouble I get a lesson in all the vacs with height adjusts. Well, I'm game...here's a list for you.

The Eureka sweep @ groom powerhead has never had a height adjust but is probably the most commonly sold powerhead in North America

Electrolux, from the 60's to today (not the Eureka version) has never had a height adjust yet many consider the brand to be an American institution.

Tristar.  Sure lots of folks thought that air valve on the front was a height adjust but it just wasn't so.  No height adjust.  Never.

Panasonic uprights...never had a height adjust.

Eureka Maxima, no height adjust.

Oreck XL21 comes in at 11 pounds (according to Consumer Reports).  Does this count as a full size vac yet? It should for $700.  It's heavier than many Eureka and Hoover product. No height adjust but probably needs one as it rates only "good" in CR for carpet cleaning.

Riccar Vibrance line of uprights.  No height adjust....never....ever.

Eureka Air Extreme...no height adjustment

Riccar SL4.  Only 9 pounds but rates excellent for carpet cleaning in CR.  Gotta include this one...no height adjust.

Last but not least....All hoover quadraflex and windtunnel powerheads.  No height adjust.  Ever. 

Dusty
This message was modified Jul 5, 2008 by dusty
DysonInventsBig

Reply #148   Jul 5, 2008 10:01 pm
Dusty,

Carmine is famous for changing the rules to the conversation/topic of conversation as needed.        DIB

dusty

Reply #149   Jul 5, 2008 10:08 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Dusty,

Carmine is famous for changing the rules to the conversation/topic of conversation as needed.        DIB

I think he may have been a politician in his past life.

Dusty
HARDSELL

Reply #150   Jul 5, 2008 10:12 pm
dusty wrote:
I think he may have been a politician in his past life.

Dusty

Carmine only lies when his lips are moving.
Replies: 141 - 150 of 624Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42