Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > “Anything” Dyson that makes news.

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
DysonInventsBig

Original Message   Jun 28, 2008 12:41 am

Dyson is in the news frequently and so a dedicated thread.

This message was modified Aug 2, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

Replies: 607 - 616 of 624Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Dyson Air Multiplier - New product? AM01?
Reply #607   Aug 22, 2009 6:47 am
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Moose,

One of the fellas at Pocket-lint.com liked your post so much he carried your story and linked back to this site.  People are interested in "things Dyson."
http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/news.phtml/26441/dyson-patents-bladeless-desk-fan.phtml

DIB

The poster, Stuart Miles, claims dyson is launching a bladeless cooling desk fan, as M00seUK initially stated.  It's not a vacuum for the pocket lint that's now gathering in your pockets where the money use to be before you bought all things dyson.  Mr. Miles posted August 19, about 10 hours, more or less, after M00seUK posted here.  He took my advice about finding a better on-line place to post than a vacuum Forum.  Pocket-lint is a "gadgets" news blog.  There are no follow up comments to Miles' post on-line.  Not even by DIB!  Strange?  Well, there are 2 tweets!  And of the approximately 3200 posts on Pocket-lint, 22 are related to dyson.  Big!  Pocket-lint is an intriguing name.  Wonder how it originated? 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Aug 22, 2009 by CarmineD
Venson

Reply #608   Aug 22, 2009 8:27 am
Seeing is believing. In this case, it is claimed that the idea comes by way of technology already used by Dyson to make vacuums and hand dryers. What is it? Does this mean that current Dyson vacuums and the Air Blade employ modified fans unlike the usual found in in other machines? I haven't heard mention to the effect by any of the repair people who post here -- so show me. I'd be far more satisfied seeing a prototype than a merely patent sketch and/or hearing a real description of how its development was wrought from some ingenious device already in use.

The blade(s) of a vacuum fan or any kind of fan for that matter, once set in motion, fling away air molecules. Outside pressure forces other air molecules to rush in to take up the space of the molecules flung away. Speedy repetitions of the same produce a stream of air by way of the partial vacuum brought about. Put all this in a container that can focus the direction of incoming and outgoing air and you got the beginnings of a vacuum cleaner or a hand dryer.

The diagram as provided depicts little. There needs to be a far more clear, concise explanation of this so-called bladeless fan to make the story at least plausible enough to allow serious discussion.

I could claim I am inventing a vacuum cleaner you never have to empty that nukes sweepings with lasers and absorbs the resulting vapors in charcoal-embedded filtering medium but wouldn't I still have to do more than draw a picture or two. I'd have to present facts AND an explanation as to how it works to make it real to prompt discussion by others and not have it appear no more than a figment of my mental meanderings.

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #609   Aug 22, 2009 8:37 am
Recall Venson that 2 years ago, this Forum was abuzz with dyson's latest soon to launched: A waterless dish washer uses hydrogen peroxide.  2 years ago.  Where is it?  Only takes 9 months to have a baby.  475 engineers and nothing to show.

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #610   Aug 22, 2009 11:14 am
CarmineD wrote:
. . . Only takes 9 months to have a baby.

Well, giving them the benefit of the doubt, it can take twelve months -- if you're an elephant.

What got me was the opening paragraph: "Dyson could be about to launch a bladeless desk fan to keep you cool based on technology it has previously used in its hand driers and vacuum cleaners."

Anybody COULD be doing anything so why waste my time. Keeping your name out there is a big thing in business but being advised, hypothesis to hypothesis, about what might be is a frivolous use of readers' time and not necessarily a builder of confidence in consumers. Let 'em come back when they've got something to show.

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #611   Aug 22, 2009 1:20 pm
Venson wrote:
Well, giving them the benefit of the doubt, it can take twelve months -- if you're an elephant.

What got me was the opening paragraph: "Dyson could be about to launch a bladeless desk fan to keep you cool based on technology it has previously used in its hand driers and vacuum cleaners."

Anybody COULD be doing anything so why waste my time. Keeping your name out there is a big thing in business but being advised, hypothesis to hypothesis, about what might be is a frivolous use of readers' time and not necessarily a builder of confidence in consumers. Let 'em come back when they've got something to show.

Venson

Hi Venson:

With words Sir James, and his merry band of 475 engineers, can design a vacuum that self-propels itself over the moon backwards.  But don't ask him to produce/sell one that will actually do it!

Carmine D.

M00seUK

Reply #612   Sep 3, 2009 9:18 am
CarmineD wrote:
Recall Venson that 2 years ago, this Forum was abuzz with dyson's latest soon to launched: A waterless dish washer uses hydrogen peroxide.  2 years ago.  Where is it?  Only takes 9 months to have a baby.  475 engineers and nothing to show.

Carmine D.

The hydrogen peroxide based patent mentioned previously wasn't a waterless dishwasher, rather the application was a dishwasher that wouldn't require detergent to be added - just household salt, which would be used to create hydrogen peroxide 'on site', inside the machine. The cost savings here to the user could be seens as similar to a bagless vacuum not requiring regular replacements of belts, bags and filters and the 'green' credentials of doing away with the packaging and transport. There's also a patent for a handwash device, along similar lines.

Like all R&D projects, it can take many years for these products to come to market, if at all. I'm sure you'd be the first to get vocal if Dyson were to rush out a new product without extensive testing... oh wait, you have already with the DC11 on the US market and it's airflow driven brush bar... not without merit on that point, but you get the idea. 'can't have it both ways.

Judging by the following patent, filed in the past few days, research in to hydrogen peroxide based cleansers continues at Dyson:-
http://v3.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/biblio?DB=EPODOC&adjacent=true&locale=en_EP&FT=D&date=20090902&CC=GB&NR=2457885A&KC=A

This patent describes a handheld spray cleaner, which works on a similar premise. Continuous supplies of a cleaning agent, with only a water softener needing to be replaced every six months or so, depending on usage. The patent features very detailed descriptions and drawings of how it would work - more much than a simple idea, which makes it a strong contender for entering the market in the near future. But as always, until Dyson talks about launching it, who's to say what will happen?

DysonInventsBig

Reply #613   Sep 3, 2009 10:16 am
CarmineD wrote:

Carmine D.

M00seUK wrote:
The hydrogen peroxide based patent mentioned previously wasn't a waterless dishwasher, rather the application was a dishwasher that wouldn't require detergent to be added - just household salt, which would be used to create hydrogen peroxide 'on site', inside the machine. The cost savings here to the user could be seens as similar to a bagless vacuum not requiring regular replacements of belts, bags and filters and the 'green' credentials of doing away with the packaging and transport. There's also a patent for a handwash device, along similar lines.

Like all R&D projects, it can take many years for these products to come to market, if at all. I'm sure you'd be the first to get vocal if Dyson were to rush out a new product without extensive testing... oh wait, you have already with the DC11 on the US market and it's airflow driven brush bar... not without merit on that point, but you get the idea. 'can't have it both ways.

Judging by the following patent, filed in the past few days, research in to hydrogen peroxide based cleansers continues at Dyson:-
http://v3.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/biblio?DB=EPODOC&adjacent=true&locale=en_EP&FT=D&date=20090902&CC=GB&NR=2457885A&KC=A

This patent describes a handheld spray cleaner, which works on a similar premise. Continuous supplies of a cleaning agent, with only a water softener needing to be replaced every six months or so, depending on usage. The patent features very detailed descriptions and drawings of how it would work - more much than a simple idea, which makes it a strong contender for entering the market in the near future. But as always, until Dyson talks about launching it, who's to say what will happen?

Carmine’s lack of understanding the European patent system is only superseded by his lack of self control.

DIB

CarmineD

Reply #614   Sep 3, 2009 1:33 pm
Hello M00seUK:

You are probably the only poster here who can turn dysons' problems and shortcomings into mine, and not get me upset.  Not in the least.

In fact just the opposite.  I was one of two posters here who called dyson out on the DC11 in April 2004 when it was first launched.  I saw it demo'ed in Salt Lake City, Utah at the newest SEARS Super Store that opened.  One of the first steps I tried was to stop the brush roll with my hand.  Not something I recommend to others.  The DC11 brush roll stopped cold with little pressure.  As users reviewed, they frequently criticized the power head [if you can call it that] for having a weak turning brush that skipped, stopped, and hic-cupped.  Not what works on US carpets.  Dyson pulled the product offcially in Feb 2005 after 9 months, but in reality it was off most the big box store shelves in 5.

BTW that dyson collector's item cost $500. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Sep 3, 2009 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #615   Sep 3, 2009 1:43 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Carmine’s lack of understanding the European patent system is only superseded by his lack of self control.

DIB

DIB:

While I strive to be a student of the industry, even in retirement, some things have absolutely no interest to me.  Your opinions of my knowledge are probably at the top of my list for things that I have no caring.

Carmine D.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #616   Sep 3, 2009 4:10 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:

DIB

CarmineD wrote:
DIB:

While I strive to be a student of the industry, even in retirement, some things have absolutely no interest to me.  Your opinions of my knowledge are probably at the top of my list for things that I have no caring.

Carmine D.

Carmine,

There is no vacuum industry without first securing a return on investors and inventors time and efforts.  The patent system[s] are the reasons your not out plowing your field, sitting in the dark and hand sewing your own clothes right now.  Dyson applies for patents in Europe long before launching or considering new products, because Europe has a “first to file” patent system. - But of course, you already knew that.  

DIB
This message was modified Sep 3, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

Replies: 607 - 616 of 624Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42