Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Anyone has a Consumer Reports Account?

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
blizzardvac

Anyone has a Consumer Reports Account?
Original Message   Jun 15, 2008 10:42 am
Should I get the Sebo C3.1 canister vacuum or the Miele S4orS5 series canister vacuum?

Which one has better suction capabality/power and cleaning effectiveness?

Anyone know the Realiability Report of the the different brands by Consumer Reports?(2008)

Which  canister vacuums that tops cleaning carpets capabiblity and the top overall ratings?highest ratings for cleaning?Can you send me the information consumer report of canister vacuum ratings 2008 to blizzardvac@gmail.com

Thanks so much for your HELP!I really appreciate!

Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Anyone has a Consumer Reports Account?
Reply #1   Jun 15, 2008 8:40 pm
I don't suscribe to Consumer Reports.  I buy and read the vacuum editions off the newsstands.  Miele was rated the best canister for reliability in the latest edition, March 2008.  To my knowledge, SEBO is never rated for reliability.  Why?  Not enough buyers, users, and surveys for the brand to be rated with meaningful data.  Based on my recall, and I'll go back and refresh, SEBO generally gets a slightly better ranking than Miele for performance.  Not by much.  Very close.

Both are quality made and top tier performers.  The best of the best.  I believe they are both reviewed on this Site.  You may want to read the reviews, if you haven't already.  Check them out personally for yourself.  You will be best served by an up close and personal examination at your local independent vacuum stores.

If it makes a difference to you, the White House cleaning staffs have long been users of the SEBO vacuum brand.  I toured/visited the White House on numerous occasions in recent years.  And I always spy the brand exclusively in my visits.   The US and Germany must have a vacuum treaty for the SEBO vacuum brand.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jun 15, 2008 by CarmineD
Venson

Reply #2   Jun 16, 2008 5:30 am
Hi,

I don't know a lot about Sebo.  Guess I wasn't overly taken by the machines I tried out in vacuum shops and haven't developed much of an interest in them.  Nonetheless, I've just recently acquired the mid-sized Miele "Capricorn" (Model 5980).  It's still in the "testing stage" here at the old corral but I've got to say I like it.  Why?

First, I like bagged vacuums and my usual concerns over bag size -- for dirt collecting capacity and airflow -- are reasonably met.  I have seen other less expensve machines that I like as much but decided to pass on because of dinky little dust bags despite any number of features offered.  For an average-size household Miele's disposable bags should prove adequate. Next, I am a convenience freak.  Hypothetically you could almost sell me on a vacuum cleaner with the power of two plane engines however the first thing I think of is -- is there a switch on the hose end.  Mine indeed has that and an LED lighted electronic suction adjustment plus the usual on-off facility for the power nozzle.  There's also an alert on the machine itself to indicate the need to change the exhaust filter after about 50 hours use. Nice!

At work the machine leaves little to be asked for.  We have high ceilings at my place and for the first time in a long time I've come across a vacuum with a cord reel I can take all the way to the bottom of the stairs, set it on the floor and stiil have a little bit of cord to spare.  Regarding power, this Miele is quite good but is not the ultimate in suction production BUT it does not need to be.  This vacuum is well-designed and sealed near tight as a drum.  This applies to the locking mechanisms on the telescopic wand and floor tools.  You get the suction you paid for.  To this I'd also add, in a household where vacuuming is frequently done there may often be no real need to run a vacuum at top speed all the time.

The exhaust is issued from the top of the machine -- not the bottom or sides.  Thus, there little to fear regarding dust disturbance.  As well, the cleaner operates in a nicely though not remarkable manner of quiet.  It's at its best around mid-speed.

Three attachments, small crevice tool, upholstery nozzle and smaller than usual dusting brush, store on-board.  Miele also has a good amount of attachment options if you feel those provided with the cleaner don't quite suit your needs.  Yet this leads to probably one of my bigger issues with Miele.  Considering the amount of money asked for this machine (sells online at the Miele site for $1,199.00), why can't just a bit more generosity be shown to the consumer.  Mine came with the SEB 236 power nozzle and it seemed that someone deemed all I needed was the new barefloor tool -- a cute gadget worth about ten bucks but sells for about $70.00.  It seems that no one considered that some households actually still do contain small area rugs and throws that can lead to a wrestling match when using a power nozzle even when the suction is set low.  I had to buy the more worthwhile SBD 550-3 straight suction rug-and-floor tool that should have been included on my own.  I also bought the universal dusting brush and have found it quite useful.  Either the combo tool or bare floor tool will activate the on-off mechanism at the rear of the cleaner when placed in the "parking" slot there.

The power nozzle does well and runs quietly.  However, you may encounter difficulty on some types of deep-pile carpeting.  The solution is to set the height adjustment to its highest setting and drop the cleaner's suction level a little.

Internally, things seem to fit snugly.  There's a fill-tube that fits into the opening on the dust bag's collar to help eliminate the escape of collected dirt.  I haven't done my first bag change yet but am happily anticipating being pleasantly surprised at finding the bag chamber clean come time for a new bag.  For the fussy, Miele provides an easy to manage seal set-up to cover the bag mouth when removing a used dust bag.

Overall, my new Miele is quite, quite nice but I'll have to use it a while longer as, due to price, I want to assure myself that this machine really stands a significant cut above a $400 to $500 Kenmore canister.

Best,

Venson

mole

Reply #3   Jun 16, 2008 6:18 am
Go with the my- ellie,just on the fact that they are easier to get parts for and most vac shops have bags and filters for them, both are good quality vacuums.

MOLE
CarmineD

Reply #4   Jun 16, 2008 7:59 am
Went back to 2004 in Consumers [as far back as I have hand] and noted in March 2006, SEBO Air Belt 3.1 was rated a score of 72 with excellent for carpet cleaning.  The Miele S514 was rated a score of 73 with very good in carpet cleaning.  The Miele S251 scored 72 with very good for carpet cleaning.  SEBO is not always tested during these years.  No data on SEBO for reliability, as I suspected.  Miele is always rated and frequently gets high and/highest reliability ratings for canisters. 

I agree with MOLE: Miele is more prevalent among the independent vacuum stores.  In the vacuum industry, Miele-s have a reputation for lasting 20 years.  Most of today's big box store canisters, even the top of the line Kenmore canns with power nozzles, generally last 5-7 depending on usage.  

SEBO is a harder to find vacuum brand than Miele.    Miele appears poised to enter the USA vacuum market with more seriousness and competition.  No doubt, as a result of the sales of high priced big box stores' vacuums [$400-$600] over the last 6 years.  And the current weaker dollar compared to the European Union currencies.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jun 16, 2008 by CarmineD
Lucky1

Reply #5   Jun 16, 2008 10:48 am
The Miele S4 is NOT my recommendation for a home with more than 4/5 Area rugs. If you have a lot of carpeting the S5 would be better suited. Sebo is a very good choice as well. Good reliability on both.
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #6   Jun 16, 2008 2:07 pm
I don't think I've ever seen reliability data for Sebo in consumer reports.     Sebo has such a tiny market share for canisters, that insufficient data is available.  I think Miele canisters have done extremely well in reliability as of late.  Rainbow and Kirby tend to be at the top for reliability for canisters and uprights, respectively. 

For the record, CR only uses self-reported survey data for their reliability reports.   The information is of very limited value.  I believe CR uses the survey data to estimate reliability during the first 4 years of life.   Given that many disposable bagless vacuums last less than 2 years, and models change frequently, CR doesn't really have the luxury of looking at long term reliability.

As one who expects vacuums to last 15-20 years, the estimates don't seem particularly helpful.  

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Vacuuman

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Reply #7   Jun 17, 2008 12:37 am
I don't know any official numbers on the Sebo for reliability, but I do know that they are very well made and practically never break down unless heavily abused.  Miele is also a very good choice.  My suggestion is to find a dealer and try them both and then decide.

I also have to agree on the subject of the S4, unless it will be used exclusively for bare floors, tools, and maybe a small rug or 2.  For even a home with a couple rooms of carpeting or many large area rugs, you need the electric P/N.
This message was modified Jun 17, 2008 by Vacuuman
Vacuuman

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Reply #8   Jun 17, 2008 12:41 am
http://youtube.com/watch?v=EqJhGqZg7uI 

Have a look here also.
This message was modified Jun 17, 2008 by Vacuuman
Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42