Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > The Oreck vacuum and everything you wanted to know (hopefully)...

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
DysonInventsBig

The Oreck vacuum and everything you wanted to know (hopefully)...
Original Message   May 29, 2008 12:41 pm

ORECK - The business, the history, the machine, the man and related.

(Below: Oreck 1979 to 2008)

< yr. 1979  < yr. 5/2008

This message was modified Oct 30, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

Replies: 46 - 55 of 258Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: The Oreck vacuum and everything you wanted to know (hopefully)...
Reply #46   Jun 3, 2008 4:06 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
cztlady did not think that the Oreck was that good.  I think you already know what she said.

Hello HARDSELL:

If I recall, catlady said the ORECK did not perform as good as the Miele.  My sense is the belt in the ORECK model [probably display/demo] needed replacing.  Belts must be replaced even if the vacuum is not used.

If my new vacuum budget was $600 and in the market for a full size, I'd opt for the Miele too over the ORECK.  Remember for $600, I bought 4 ORECK XL Classics and all the recipients rave over them!

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jun 3, 2008 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #47   Jun 3, 2008 4:11 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
The 07 and 14 do not have the same suction power.

Hello HARDSELL:

The difference in air watts between the two models [DC07/14] is so neglibible, it's insignificant.  In fact all the dyson models since have significantly less air watts than the DC07.  The improvement to allow dyson to skimp on the air watts after the DC07 and achieve better pick up is the improved brush roll design and function.  That's the reason these 2 models are getting scrubbed.   Only took Mr. Dyson and his 500 engineers [the innovative crew] 5 years to figure it out and make the necessary brush roll changes. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #48   Jun 3, 2008 4:18 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:

Carmine,

That’s just it!  If society benefits, patent extensions for life saving or bettering drugs are given, but I do not believe it is the same for non-drug patents.

Can you link me 1 or 2 good articles that talk/follow this Tricor story?  Thanks.        DIB

DIB:

Society doesn't benefit by the drug patent holder claiming exclusive ad infinitum usage and charging high prices.  Society benefits when other drug makers offer generics at less cost.  Just as consumers don't benefit from $500 bagless dysons when $100-$200 bagless Dirt Devils, HOOVER-s, BISSELL-s etc perform as well. 

The Wall Street Journal has the best news coverage of the TRICOR drug case.  I'm a reader but not an on-line subscriber.  Sorry.   BTW, the WSJ appears to be on the side of the generics against TRICOR.  IMHO

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #49   Jun 3, 2008 4:22 pm
HARDSELL wrote:

I already did the kapock test.  Remember you brought this up when I recommended baking soda as a test.  BTW the Oreck still will not pass the baking soda test.

HARDSELL:

Kapoc is an industry standard test for carpet cleaning and has been for years.  Baking soda on floors is not.  You got this perverted cockeyed notion from Tom Gasko, who doesn't know anything about ORECK-s.  If my ORECK devours pounds of sand monthly from my outdoors, brought in by the grands and the dogs, which is considerably harder to vacuum up, baking soda is a do nothing no contest.

If it's not a Rainbow, Air Way or dyson [he's sold all of them at one time or another always claiming each as the best], Tom impugns it.  That's his standard Forum mantra for years on all things related to vacuums.

BTW, while kapoc is made to simulate real life home carpet lint debris, like pet hair, rug nap and cotton that has a tendency to cling to rugs, baking soda does not occur naturally in the home environment.  Except perhaps yours and Tom Gasko.

Carmine D.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #50   Jun 3, 2008 5:12 pm
CarmineD wrote:
DIB:

Society doesn't benefit by the drug patent holder claiming exclusive ad infinitum usage and charging high prices.  Society benefits when other drug makers offer generics at less cost.  Just as consumers don't benefit from $500 bagless dysons when $100-$200 bagless Dirt Devils, HOOVER-s, BISSELL-s etc perform as well. 

The Wall Street Journal has the best news coverage of the TRICOR drug case.  I'm a reader but not an on-line subscriber.  Sorry.   BTW, the WSJ appears to be on the side of the generics against TRICOR.  IMHO

Carmine D.

Carmine,

Infinitum? – Is there such a thing?  Long term, the patented drugs will in time become public domain (generic drugs) and society will be the better for it.

I wonder what percentage (if any) of generic drug makers actually invest and invent their own and badly needed breakthru drugs.  And to those generic makers who do not invest and invent, then much criticism should also be placed at their very, very deep pocked feet and not just the healers.

Thanks for the news source. 

Your opinion of Dyson and his business model is not shared.        DIB

This message was modified Jun 3, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #51   Jun 3, 2008 6:42 pm
Hello DIB:

Ad infinitum:  Latin term meaning for eternity, endless, limitless.  It creeps into my speaking and writing. 

I speak for and by myself not for others regardless of the consequences.

Carmine D.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #52   Jun 3, 2008 6:51 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello DIB:

Ad infinitum:  Latin term meaning for eternity, endless, limitless.  It creeps into my speaking and writing. 

I speak for and by myself not for others regardless of the consequences.

Carmine D.

I know the word.  I know of no drug maker who’s been granted a limitless patent monopoly as you suggest.        DIB

This message was modified Jun 3, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

HARDSELL

Reply #53   Jun 3, 2008 7:02 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello HARDSELL:

If I recall, catlady said the ORECK did not perform as good as the Miele.  My sense is the belt in the ORECK model [probably display/demo] needed replacing.  Belts must be replaced even if the vacuum is not used.

If my new vacuum budget was $600 and in the market for a full size, I'd opt for the Miele too over the ORECK.  Remember for $600, I bought 4 ORECK XL Classics and all the recipients rave over them!

Carmine D.

Blaming inferior performance of the Oreck on a belt. You are as desperate as I have ever seen you.  If the belt has to be replaced so frequently on a demo unit or even if the Oreck has been sitting idle then maybe ol Dave should hire some Dyson engenieers and get in this century.  My be its that a Dyson will perform after sitting idle for years.

BTW, catlady did not say the Oreck was inferior to only the Miele.  She simply insinuated that it had poor performance.

CarmineD

Reply #54   Jun 3, 2008 7:02 pm
Hello DIB:

T'is I my good Lad, Carmine D.  Have had only coffee, ice tea, and orange soda today like most days.  Mr. Daniels is reserved for limited and infrequent occasions.  Usually when I call upon and toast with others those men among men who came/left before me.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #55   Jun 3, 2008 7:03 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello HARDSELL:

The difference in air watts between the two models [DC07/14] is so neglibible, it's insignificant.  In fact all the dyson models since have significantly less air watts than the DC07.  The improvement to allow dyson to skimp on the air watts after the DC07 and achieve better pick up is the improved brush roll design and function.  That's the reason these 2 models are getting scrubbed.   Only took Mr. Dyson and his 500 engineers [the innovative crew] 5 years to figure it out and make the necessary brush roll changes. 

Carmine D.

I used both.  Remember.  The 07 is a better performer IMO.  Have you used both?
Replies: 46 - 55 of 258Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42