Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > The Oreck vacuum and everything you wanted to know (hopefully)...

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
DysonInventsBig

The Oreck vacuum and everything you wanted to know (hopefully)...
Original Message   May 29, 2008 12:41 pm

ORECK - The business, the history, the machine, the man and related.

(Below: Oreck 1979 to 2008)

< yr. 1979  < yr. 5/2008

This message was modified Oct 30, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

Replies: 11 - 20 of 258Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
HARDSELL

Re: The Oreck vacuum and everything you wanted to know (hopefully)...
Reply #11   May 30, 2008 3:45 pm
CarmineD wrote:
We're talking ORECK and ORECK vacuums here. Stick to the subject.  I would never buy another LG plasma.  Why?  Terrible customer support and service!  They subcontract the service out to contractors not their employees.  Mine went bad during the 2 year warranty.  Nice picture, I must say.  But I'm looking to upgrade soon.  But that's info for another site not here.  

Oreck on the other hand has a network of authorized franchised stores nationwide.  Almost 500.  Oreck employees.  Now scrub the rest of the BS and stay with the US made ORECK vacuums on this thread.  Best in its class.  Others try to imitate and still have not matched it.  It's a niche.  And has a lock on its market: Lightweights and hotels/motels.  And has for over 45 years.  Only one contender is a distant second: RICCAR/Simplicity.   The latter is a premier top shelf seller among vacuum stores.  Also made int he USA.  Just like ORECK.

Carmine D.

We were talking about Oreck until you (as usual) threw Dyson in.  You also mentioned imports so I just asked about your imported TV.  Oreck may be best in its c;lass.  Dyson simply outclasses it.

NOW DROP ALL YOUR BS ABOUT DYSON, WALLY WORLD AND IMPORTS...........

This message was modified May 30, 2008 by a moderator
CarmineD

Reply #12   May 30, 2008 4:52 pm
mole wrote:

The belts should be changed every 4 or 5 months[ I know i will catch flack on this one],

The origional oreck was actually a R.C.A whirlpool,cvr 1000. People that really know Dave no how he got started,

Hello Mole:

ORECK store staff recommend every 6 months on the belt changes.  I do too.  Why?  Firstly, better pick up.  Secondly, assists in propelling the Oreck more easily.  Thirdly, the belts are inexpensive and easy for the user to replace.

Dave started his career as an RCA employee after the end of WW11 where he served as a fighter pilot.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #13   May 30, 2008 5:03 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:

How about this to open the discussion/thread...  Does anyone know a logical reason why David Oreck does not invent or invent much.  He is the most iconic and most well know vacuum manufacturer in America and yet it looks like today’s 2008 Oreck vacuum cleaner has gone unchanged (almost) for 30 years.      DIB

Hello DIB:

Actually more like 40 years of the same design.  The XL 21 Titanium is really the first major redesign in 40 years.  I'll address that later.

Why no changes?  Consider this:  There are 30 components to the ORECK upright.  Less than any other vacuum on the market.  Considerably less.  Result:  Easy and simple to repair and maintain.  Fewer parts to break and replace.  Hence the reason in part ORECK-s last for years.

Consider the Coca Cola brand that revamped its age old secret formula in the 80's after as many years as the classic.  What happened?  It reversed course after it was inundated with complaints by the public.

If you have a good thing, make it better.  Don't change it!  Making it better is better served by marginal changes, as in the case of ORECK.  Not completely new and outright revampings.  The HOOVER Convertible, as Mole pointed out, had a 40 plus year life span in production and sales.  From the mid 50-s to the mid-90-s.  Probably the best rug cleaning vacuum on the market, ever. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified May 30, 2008 by CarmineD
DC18

Dyson, Sebo and Bissell user

Reply #14   May 30, 2008 5:41 pm
Thanks Carmine D for answering one of my questions on the ORECK.  It's probably one of a very few products manufactured today that all it's parts are made in the same origin as it is assembled!

DC18

This message was modified May 30, 2008 by DC18
DysonInventsBig

Reply #15   May 30, 2008 7:48 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Here's some info I posted before on David.  He's an octogenarian.  Served in WW 11.  Commonly called the big war.  No doubt this is a reason for employing Americans and building American made vacuums: ORECKS.  You can't count on one hand the number of vacuums made in the USA. 

For all the whiners, like HARDSELL, constantly bemoaning Wal*Mart and Chinese made products, take a good close up look at the ORECK, its founder, the company and the people it employs.  When you impugn them, then don't be surprised by the huge trade deficit with China.

What happened to the patriotic call: Buy American.  Is it just a slogan?  Doesn't it count for anything any more for vacuums?   Well it does for some.  And I may be the only one who posts here.  Imagine having to defend a product made in the USA for 45 plus years by Americans that costs $199.  And lasts on an average for 20 years!!  What do you want for your devalued dollar?  A dyson?       

Carmine D.

Carmine,

I own 2 American made automobiles and love them.  I bought them on the basis on their form, function and cost.  Buy buying American I am supporting American auto manufacturers.  The difference between a given auto manufacturer and Oreck is the auto manufacturers do invest in future technologies and designs and bring better and more variety of products.  Oreck does not.        DIB

CarmineD

Reply #16   May 30, 2008 8:02 pm
DC18 wrote:
Just a few questions I've got on the ORECK:

ORECK claims like other Vacuum that their vacuum is 99.99% of all particles down to 0.3 microns are trap inside.  There is a 'youtube' video of which ORECK and others like Hoover, Dyson etc... get independently tested including using a particular counter to find it's not that good at filtering amongst other things as ORECK says it is. The other brands fail too! 

Price, why are these vacuums so expensive for what they are?  It may be a niche market they target but as DIB says the original design has not changed so the price should of come down by now.  The UK prices start from £299.00 up to £429.00, that is over double if not more what you can pay for other brands in the UK, the same in the USA to I would think!

DC18

Hello DC18:

Your welcome.  And now on to the other questions. 

I have not viewed the youtube video.  My sense is the model tested is the Classic, which is the least expensive of the ORECKS, and the one most discussed here by me.  I own and use the XL Classic.   My sense too is due to the paper bags that come standard in this model: The CC.  The other models: The Deluxe, Ultra, and XL 21 all filter better than the XL.  Tho with my dog and my dear Wife's allergy and sinus conditions, the XL with the CC bags bode well for her here in Las Vegas.

Price?  Here in the US, where the ORECKS are made, there are 4 models: The XL Classic for $299 with the giveaways.  This is the model that was recently on sale for Memorial Day for $199 without the giveaways.  The Deluxe for $399.  The Ultra for $549 and the XL 21 for $749.  ORECK added some new models recently in the $499.  More on those later.  The first 3 models all share the same motor and brushroll.  Only the XL has a more powerful motor.  And the XL has a brush roll more suited for easy pet hair removal.  Of course there are other features that account for the price differentials.  2 speeds on the Ulta and XL 21.  Warranty periods are different.  Free tune ups, etc.  The Deluxe and Ultra are 10 years for warranty.  The XL 21 has 21 years.  The latter comes to $35 a year for a vacuum that lasts for 21 years with free parts and labor replacement all during the period.  This is the most expensive.  Is it worth the $740.  Not if that's beyond your vacuum budget.  Then the Deluxe is probably the better buy.  If it isn't beyond your budget it's probably a good deal for you. 

I can't make the pound conversion, but I suspect the high prices overseas is due to shipping costs and the higher costs of oil to get the ORECK vacuums to market there.  Last year this time oil was $60 a barrel.  Now its $130 a barrel. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified May 30, 2008 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #17   Jun 1, 2008 7:37 am
DysonInventsBig wrote:

Carmine,

I own 2 American made automobiles and love them.  I bought them on the basis on their form, function and cost.  Buy buying American I am supporting American auto manufacturers.  The difference between a given auto manufacturer and Oreck is the auto manufacturers do invest in future technologies and designs and bring better and more variety of products.  Oreck does not.        DIB

Hello DIB:

I couldn't disagree with you more.  ORECK improved filtration, brush roll, uses microban on all vacuum products, improved energy efficiency and increased power of the motor in its XL 21.  Plus, ORECK invests in other home floorcare products, including a fairly decent canister, floor waxer/polisher, rug cleaner, stick vacuum, and carpet sweeper.  In other words a full array of household cleaning appliances.  Plus ORECK sells excellent air purifiers.  There is a connection too with air purifiers and vacuums.  ORECK is not a vacuum maker that invests in unrelated technologies.  Like one you and I both know.

More importantly ORECK invests in its employees.  They're not contractors.  They are company employees with full employee benefits.  Talk to ORECK employees about working for the company.  Even former employees.  See and hear what they have to say about the company, its founder, and the products.  They're proud.  That counts as much if not more than investing new technologies.  It's called social capital.  It's priceless.

ORECK is a quality product and company.  Has been for over 45 years.  Why mess with it.  Keep it good and make it better.  Not by wholesale rebuilding from the ground up [like some].  And investing R&D in unrelated ventures.  ORECK makes marginal incremental changes. That's what Oreck did and does.  The uprights are 8-9 pounds.  Simple rug cleaners and groomers.  Nothing complicated. 30 parts.  No other vacuum maker even your fave can match up. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jun 1, 2008 by CarmineD
HARDSELL

Reply #18   Jun 1, 2008 7:43 am
CarmineD wrote:
  Simple rug cleaners and groomers.  No other maker even your fave can match them. 

Carmine D.

Why did you never mention this when you were telling us that nothing beats Hoover?
CarmineD

Reply #19   Jun 1, 2008 7:56 am
HARDSELL wrote:
Why did you never mention this when you were telling us that nothing beats Hoover?

Hello HARDSELL:

I did and do but you are not reading/listening.  I said my ORECK XL Classic cleans and grooms my rugs well but not as good as the HOOVER WT!  ORECK is a lightweight not a heavy weight.  ORECK is the best in its class.  HOOVER the best in its class. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jun 1, 2008 by CarmineD
HARDSELL

Reply #20   Jun 1, 2008 8:34 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hello HARDSELL:

I did and do but you are not reading/listening.  I said my ORECK XL Classic cleans and grooms my rugs well but not as good as the HOOVER WT!  ORECK is a lightweight not a heavy weight.  ORECK is the best in its class.  HOOVER the best in its class. 

Carmine D.

This leads me to believe that you think these are the two best vacuums on the market.
Replies: 11 - 20 of 258Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42