Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Dyson DC24 / DC25 Vacs: Sir James Brings his Ball back

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
M00seUK

Dyson DC24 / DC25 Vacs: Sir James Brings his Ball back
Original Message   Jan 17, 2008 3:54 pm
Replies: 373 - 382 of 535Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
DC18

Dyson, Sebo and Bissell user

Re: Dyson DC24 / DC25 Vacs: Sir James Brings his Ball back
Reply #373   May 21, 2008 6:21 pm
DIB

I can not comment on any other that has used a simular auto height adjuster like the Sebo X4.  I've demo'd a Sebo X4 and it seem light in use, and no heavy to pickup than any standard upright!  From the demo the machine adjusted the head cleaning height to the correct height for that floor type.  You can see a demo on the Sebo UK website of this.  The way the Sebo work it uses an onboard computer which is constantly monitor and adjusting the cleaning head height using a centre wheel underneath.  I believe also in conjuction with the brush bar, it senses when the brush bar is in contact with the carpet and adjusts to the correct height (not too low or too high).  The Felix does not have this feature but an indicator tells you if you have the manual height too high or too low!

The Sebo X4 and Felix feels like they has 'self propelled' built in as the cleaner moves\glides forward with minimum effort to push it!

The one thing I used to find on cleaners I've used with manual height adjustment is that there is always a carpet in the house where none of the settings suit.  Too high or too low!  Where as self adjusting there is no issue, but thats my personal opinion from my own usage!

DC18

CarmineD

Reply #374   May 21, 2008 7:57 pm
DC18 wrote:
Hi Trilobite

the self adjusting floating head

DC18

For the record:  This is the classic sales pitch [exact word for word verbage] HOOVER and its reps used in the early 1960's with the Dial-a-Matic.  The demo to show the self-adjusting head worked like this:  With the HOOVER Dial in the ready position, the rep would get down and with his/her hands positioned on each end of the brush nozzle and lift it up and down.  While saying it self adjusts to all carpet heights. 

At the time, the overriding consideration for the appeal of the HOOVER Dial was its two in one vacuums.  Conventional upright with beater bar for rugs and a full one horse power suction motor for attachment and above the floor cleaning.  The Dial feature was to increase/decrease the one horse power suction motor for both rug/tool cleaning.  6 settings.  3 for rugs.  3 for floors/tools.  Low medium and high.  The User manual admonished users never ever to exceed medium suction for rug cleaning. 

It wasn't long before the Dial was changed to include a 3 position rug height adjuster on the head nozzle.  So much for the self-adjusting floating head [nozzle].

Almost 45 years later with the DC07 pink, I experienced the exact same problem [as the Dial] on my rugs.  Now made worse by the ratcheting noise.  Why?  The supposed self-adjusting dyson brush bar nozzle sinks into the rug and stops the brushbar.  In turn triggering the ratcheting noise. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified May 21, 2008 by CarmineD
Trilobite

Reply #375   May 22, 2008 3:53 pm
My problem with the Dysons is that the lack of sensible features make them awkward to use, particularly the lack of carpet height control, and the exceedingly useful handle-pedal lock.

I find (and other people I know, have also found) that the Dysons are awkward to maneouvre over different height levels, such as the threshold strips between rooms. Or trying to go from fitted carpet onto a hearth rug. With a Dyson, you have either to reverse over the height difference, or bend down and lift the head over, or put the cleaner fully upright and lift it onto the rug.

With most other upright makes, one simply presses down upon the machine's handle, the cleaner head pivots upon the rear wheels, push straight over the height difference - and you carry on cleaning.

Simple.

Also, the cleaning hose is a nuisance, having to haul out the aluminium wand in order to use the hose itself. Who is going to use an unwieldy wand, to vacuum around fine ornaments on a mantlepiece? Not me, nor several ladies I know.

DC18

Reply #376   May 22, 2008 6:30 pm
Be interesting to see if Dyson put any of these features on it's machines in the future!  I personally don't think they will, James Dyson and his Team as DIB has pointed out likes to think out side of the box and be different and not follow everyone else!  All the cleaners I've used with foot release pedals which lock the handle have at some point broke!

To put a handle release lock would not suit the Ball design or the design like the DC07\DC14\DC17.  The DC07\DC14\DC17 would have to have a foot pedal which is what Dyson wanted to get away from and to have easy to use machines.  Foot on the front pull back on the handle to use.  Easy solution with these models to go over uneven surfaces push handle to upright position tilt back on rear wheels push over surface (uneven) push foot on the corner of the cleaning head to lower back to floor and away you go again! Just a different way of using a vacuum.  Not to everyones taste!

The hose on a Dyson is separate to the main airflow and only engaged when needed.  Less blockages better airflow and shorter path to the collection bin when using the vacuum normally.   They wanted to get away from the hose being part of the main airflow from the cleaning head to the collection bin/bag, causing longer air paths and more potential for blockages and poor airflow.  I can see the point when you only need the hose, the DC15 and I think the DC14 is the same.  You can pull the wand out the top and without releasing the wand\handle from the machine unclip the hose so you have only the hose to use.

CarmineD

Reply #377   May 23, 2008 8:17 am
The nicest printable compliment I heard about the sales appeal of dyson vacuums is that they are toys with a purpose.  Ironically something very similar to M00seUK's commentary on iRobot Roombas.

Carmine D.

M00seUK

Reply #378   May 23, 2008 9:15 am
I think these are valid points on the Dyson cleaning head. I personally prefer a machine without a manual height adjuster... even if it perhaps decreases the performance ever so slightly.

Going between rooms or on to hearth rugs can be a real problem for the Dyson. It is normally possible to put your foot on the underside of the head and raise it - but this is far from ideal - A foot lever would be many times better.
Trilobite

Reply #379   May 23, 2008 5:12 pm
DC18 wrote:
Be interesting to see if Dyson put any of these features on it's machines in the future!  I personally don't think they will, James Dyson and his Team as DIB has pointed out likes to think out side of the box and be different and not follow everyone else!  All the cleaners I've used with foot release pedals which lock the handle have at some point broke!

To put a handle release lock would not suit the Ball design or the design like the DC07\DC14\DC17.  The DC07\DC14\DC17 would have to have a foot pedal which is what Dyson wanted to get away from and to have easy to use machines.  Foot on the front pull back on the handle to use.  Easy solution with these models to go over uneven surfaces push handle to upright position tilt back on rear wheels push over surface (uneven) push foot on the corner of the cleaning head to lower back to floor and away you go again! Just a different way of using a vacuum.  Not to everyones taste!

The hose on a Dyson is separate to the main airflow and only engaged when needed.  Less blockages better airflow and shorter path to the collection bin when using the vacuum normally.   They wanted to get away from the hose being part of the main airflow from the cleaning head to the collection bin/bag, causing longer air paths and more potential for blockages and poor airflow.  I can see the point when you only need the hose, the DC15 and I think the DC14 is the same.  You can pull the wand out the top and without releasing the wand\handle from the machine unclip the hose so you have only the hose to use.

Well I don't think James Dyson is thinking 'out of the box', (apart from placing cyclones in series, and the ball wheel). He seems to be trying to not use available technology, but ultimately ends up doing so. If he wants to make the most efficient cleaner, he should use Hoover's later agitator designs, in order to give the carpets a decent beating.

As to a foot pedal, what is that fitted to DC15, 18, 24, & 25?...it's a foot pedal!

And staying with foot-operated controls, what about the clutch-belt models DC04, 07, & 14? Those too, are foot operated (or hand, if you can be bothered to bend down).

I have used a great many cleaners with hoses as the integral dirt path, and never had any major problem with them. The hoses fitted to the Hoover and Electrolux machines of the 1980's and 90's, tended to be of a thicker pvc

By the way, what happened to Dyson's "constant diameter airways" and "MEMA" filters?

Anyway, I'm not very pleased with the DC15 leaving old dirt in the carpets.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #380   May 23, 2008 11:17 pm
DC18 wrote:
DIB

I can not comment on any other that has used a simular auto height adjuster like the Sebo X4.  I've demo'd a Sebo X4 and it seem light in use, and no heavy to pickup than any standard upright!  From the demo the machine adjusted the head cleaning height to the correct height for that floor type.  You can see a demo on the Sebo UK website of this.  The way the Sebo work it uses an onboard computer which is constantly monitor and adjusting the cleaning head height using a centre wheel underneath.  I believe also in conjuction with the brush bar, it senses when the brush bar is in contact with the carpet and adjusts to the correct height (not too low or too high).  The Felix does not have this feature but an indicator tells you if you have the manual height too high or too low!

The Sebo X4 and Felix feels like they has 'self propelled' built in as the cleaner moves\glides forward with minimum effort to push it!

The one thing I used to find on cleaners I've used with manual height adjustment is that there is always a carpet in the house where none of the settings suit.  Too high or too low!  Where as self adjusting there is no issue, but thats my personal opinion from my own usage!

DC18

DC18,

I saw the x4 video, it was something to watch.  And thank you for all the additional info too!        DIB

This message was modified May 23, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

DC18

Reply #381   May 24, 2008 7:26 pm
DIB

Your welcome, glad you could watch that video.

DC18

DC18

Reply #382   May 24, 2008 7:41 pm
Trilobite

Yes there is a foot pedal fitted to the DC15\18\24\25, but what does this foot pedal do?  Release the stabliser wheels\carriage up out of the way nothing else.  You mentioned a foot release\pedal that releases the body so far and locked it like most other vacuums. So you can lift the cleaning head over rugs etc.... The foot pedal on these Dyson models don't do this!  Yes it is a foot pedal but not like other vacuums use!

I wouldn't call the clutch dial on the DC03\04\07\14 a foot pedal, just a dial, regardless how you operate that dial!

The MEMA filter has been replaced with other sorts which Dyson now use.  The airways are different on each Dyson model.  Thats down to each model design\setup I would of thought!

DC18

Replies: 373 - 382 of 535Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42