Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Been shopping . . .

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Venson

Been shopping . . .
Original Message   May 3, 2008 12:29 pm

Hi,

I had some mad money around so I decided to do a little shopping.  To add to my store of  "oldie but goodies" I bought a Kenmore 116.7070, the last and most glorious of the Kenmore "cart" canisters and an also equally glorious G.E. AVF-807 upright.  But you know my motto -- shop 'til you drop.

Though little publicized, I've been very curious about the Black & Decker VN1400P for some time now as I have decided on researching some worthwhile cleaning machinery in the $200 range. B&D claims it can take on pet hair, etc.  However, please note this vacuum has no electric power nozzle.  Oddly, vendors selling this B&D have largely been offering it for sale online only.  I called Black & Decker and learned that Linen n' Things might have the intem on stock in its stores.  I found just one on the shelf and none on display. 

Admittedly, this is merely a bagless machine with a pleated filter enclosed within a plastic shroud but my resolve was so strong to give one a once over that I took on the Newport Mall in Jersey City.  When I disembarked the Path Train there I was thinking New York where you merely come up out of a hole in the ground anywhere in midtown and there's three of everything you want or don't no further than ten paces away.  Well I won't play Jersey cheap.  There's plenty of to be had -- just don't be fool enough to go after it without a car.  But that's another story . . .

The VN1400P was acquired for $199.  Here's what I discovered once I got it home and out of the box.  First, the machine's body and dust container are both made of plastic that's much thicker any than I've seen on any canister vac in recent times.  I find this very encouraging.  The cleaner's suction is quite strong and sound during operation though not exceptionally low is comfortably bearable.

The marketing hook as far as this machine is concerned is the special filter cleaning cycle.  With the motor switched off, you push a button and the pleated filter is set spinning by a separate motor for ten seconds.  As the filter spins two plastic blades cause the pleats to shake off adhering dirt and dust.  How well this works and how well the filter wears has yet to be seen.  This filter may alos be "washed" -- outside portion only -- and replaced once dry.  There is also a very small coarse filter, about 1.5" x 1.5" to deter dirt or debris from entering the airway to the fan chamber when removing or replacing the dust container.  The HEPA filter is claimed usable for life requires a screwdriver for removal.

I am always skeptical of air-powered tools but this is the first vacuum that seems to actually supply enough pulling power to make your effort at least look worth it.  By that I mean, it handles surface cleaning well but I have yet no assessment regarding deep cleaning.  That should not mean points off for this machine as deep cleaning necessity varies household to household thus it may be just perfect for some and not for others.  The bristles on both the brush rolls of its powered rug nozzle and upholstery tool are of no remarkable density or firmness but once set spinning by the VN1400P's slow-start 12 amp motor the action is very firm to the touch.  The 11" turbo nozzle for rugs also has a long velcro strip for dislodging lint and fur plus a plastic blade for use on bare floors. The additional 10" straight suction rug and floor tool has only one row of retaractable bristles up front followed by a stationery plastic lint picker and a plastic blade at the back of the nozzle.  The very simply dusting brush led me to doubt but it, due to the vacuum's strong suction, performs well too. The VN1400P also has a three-section telescopic wand reminiscent of the wand used on the Dyson canister that can also be locked onto the up-ended machine for storage.  I will post a formal review as soon as I've had a while to learn how well the suction output endures after a couple weeks of use.

Best,

Venson

This message was modified May 3, 2008 by Venson
Replies: 1 - 13 of 13View as Thread
Replies: 1 - 13 of 13View as Thread
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42