Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Electrolux -- First Quarter 2008 . . .

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Venson

Electrolux -- First Quarter 2008 . . .
Original Message   Apr 29, 2008 10:31 am
Hi all,

Following is a link to a news article regarding the up and down sides for Electrolux during this year's first quarter.

http://www.centredaily.com/business/technology/story/553091.html

Best,

Venson

Replies: 3 - 12 of 140Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Electrolux -- First Quarter 2008 . . .
Reply #3   Apr 29, 2008 8:05 pm
Thanks Venson:

Interesting read.  The E-lux CEO is optimistic to believe that full year 2008 operating results will be in-line with 2007.  I don't believe any of the large appliance makers/sellers, like GE, Whirlpool, E-Lux, will come close to matching their 2007 results.  Instead much worse. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #4   Apr 30, 2008 6:08 pm
While the rank and file are getting riffed, Ms. Kelly Rippa [the better half of the dynamic Regis and Kelly Duet] is the poster "hottie" for the new BEST BUY E-Lux  appliance line.  The new TV ads are airing.

Her husband is one lucky man.

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #5   May 4, 2008 4:51 pm
Hi,

Came across another article regarding the Electrolux dilemma. The following quote is debatable I'm sure . . .

Per Hans Straberg -- "The US economy has been on a downward slope for the last seven quarters. The headline at the moment is uncertainty.  A vacuum cleaner is a purchase you can live without when you have money constraints."

Thinking on the high prices for any Electrolux product sold in the U.S., wouldn't you think the brand might be passed by?  Is it funny that wall ovens, fridges, washers and cooking ranges selling for anything from one grand to way over might not also be not be on the minds of those -- which is just about everybody -- living under under "money constraints"? I think vacuums and washers, refrigerators and all the usual household appliances will continue to sell.  However, I think the general public will begin to figure that maybe they can live life just as well without expensive niche brands and get to liking names like Hotpoint instead of Miele, et al, again.  Link follows --

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2008/05/04/ccelec104.xml

Best,

Venson

HARDSELL

Reply #6   May 4, 2008 7:56 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi,

A vacuum cleaner is a purchase you can live without when you have money constraints."

Thinking on the high prices for any Electrolux product sold in the U.S., wouldn't you think the brand might be passed by?  Is it funny that wall ovens, fridges, washers and cooking ranges selling for anything from one grand to way over might not also be not be on the minds of those -- which is just about everybody -- living under under "money constraints"? Best,

Venson

A vacuum is not on display in the home like the appliances that you mention.  Those items are also considered as a status symbol by many.  In addition they are usually expected to last many years without replacement, wheras a cheap vacuum will hold the consumer until finances are in better order.  The fact that so many cheap vacs like Hoover and a few others is proof that most consumers could care less about the vacuums looks or performance.  Besides so many hire a maid to run the vacuum and do not know if it is performing at max.

Venson

Reply #7   May 4, 2008 9:56 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
A vacuum is not on display in the home like the appliances that you mention.  Those items are also considered as a status symbol by many.  In addition they are usually expected to last many years without replacement, wheras a cheap vacuum will hold the consumer until finances are in better order.  The fact that so many cheap vacs like Hoover and a few others is proof that most consumers could care less about the vacuums looks or performance.  Besides so many hire a maid to run the vacuum and do not know if it is performing at max.

Hi Hardsell,

I agree that there are those who do buy not just for service but to impress the neighbors as well.  However, I think the larger part of everyday consumers are getting ready to pull their belts in a notch or two.  I'm not much inclined to concern myself  over what the neighbors think unless they want to contribute to the rent.  No volunteers so far.

In my own case, I've been trying to figure out how to redo my very small cooking facility to make the best use of limited space.  As an instance, there are lots of great ideas I've seen like drawer refrigerators which cost nearly twice as much as a full-size refrigerator/freezer.  I could buy one but can't quite see the point in buying something half the size for twice the money.  Is there any real advantage in regard to quality in this case?  I don't think so.  While researching prices I actually got a salesman on the phone from Summitt, a manufacturer specializing in many kinds of configurations for refrigerators, freezers and cooking ranges, and put the question to him.  Regarding the issue of the high price of drawer refrigerators he made it known that there is nothing all that special about the making of them but that the speciality of the design pushed up pricing.  The desire to have something different therefore costs money. Looks like I'll be keeping the refrigerator I've got  and I'll try to work around it.

I'm as skeptical about kitchen ranges.  I've been looking over 24" gas ranges from as low as $300 to as high as $2,500.  Thinking extravagantly, why a small gas range could rise beyond $500 or $600 dollars at best I cannot fathom -- but they do.  Again, I might bite and go for an expensive item if it appeared that there might be some real edge benefit-wise for the spending other than good looks. Will an egg scramble any better on a plain-jane range from Sears or one by Fisher & Paykel?  That remains more an issue regarding the cook than the stove.  I rather spend substantially less money on a good pot or skillet that might enhance my possibilities for a good result and deal with a lesser range.

Best,

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #8   May 5, 2008 7:41 am
HARDSELL wrote:

HS:

This sounds an awful lot like you think price determines the sales of the vacuum products.  When MOLE posted this a little while back you disagreed and rebutted with the fact that so many dysons are sold.  Are you now having a change of heart/mine?

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #9   May 5, 2008 7:50 am
Venson wrote:
Hi Hardsell,

I agree that there are those who do buy not just for service but to impress the neighbors as well.  However, I think the larger part of everyday consumers are getting ready to pull their belts in a notch or two.  I'm not much inclined to concern myself  over what the neighbors think unless they want to contribute to the rent.  No volunteers so far.

Best,

Venson

Hi Venson:

I agree that people are cutting back on many expenditures which ultimately affect the home decor and lifestyle.  Just to pay gas and food coats.  This impacts and affects manufacturers of high price, high end products like autos, appliances, clothes etc.  We've seen some companies close, stores shuttered, and bankruptcy filings.  Sure, there's more to come.  I think AB Electrolux's intro in the USA is an uphill battle.  The timing is bad.  If the economy were hitting on all/most cylinders, the success would be more likely.  But with the current economic environment, about the only thing the new appliances at BEST BUY will do is look good and need dusting every week.

Now, if Kelly Rippa wants to accompany the BEST BUY delivery truck and installers to my house for my purchases, I might reconsider. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified May 5, 2008 by CarmineD
mole

Reply #10   May 5, 2008 8:46 am
Just so the truth be known about the ELECTROLUX vacuums,it's just a rebadged eureka oxygen,with very marginal attachments,Lets see now take a 200.00 eureka oxygen put the electrolux name on it and ask 500 plus for it .Boy what marketing genius that is................

MOLE

HARDSELL

Reply #11   May 5, 2008 9:11 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hi Venson:

I agree that people are cutting back on many expenditures which ultimately affect the home decor and lifestyle.  Just to pay gas and food coats.  This impacts and affects manufacturers of high price, high end products like autos, appliances, clothes etc.  We've seen some companies close, stores shuttered, and bankruptcy filings.  Sure, there's more to come.  I think AB Electrolux's intro in the USA is an uphill battle.  The timing is bad.  If the economy were hitting on all/most cylinders, the success would be more likely.  But with the current economic environment, about the only thing the new appliances at BEST BUY will do is look good and need dusting every week.

Now, if Kelly Rippa wants to accompany the BEST BUY delivery truck and installers to my house for my purchases, I might reconsider. 

Carmine D.

Carmine,

I think this answers your question about my thinking.  If the economy is good the consumer will pay more for a vac. 

CarmineD

Reply #12   May 5, 2008 1:21 pm
HS:

I knew you would respond in that manner using my post.  Thank you.

I think Mole hit the nail on the head about vacuums and price.  Most vacuum buyers go to big box stores to buy a vacuum that lasts a few years, then dispose and buy new again.  Regardless of the state of the economy.  Those who buy quality vacuums from independent vacuum stores will do so in good times/bad.  Why?  Because in bad times, they'll have the quality vacuum repaired and continue to use it.  In good times, they'll buy another new quality vacuum by trading up/gifting away the old to a family member.

Now for high priced vacuums in big box stores:  In bad times: you got it.  They ain't gonna sell.  Dyson, electrolux, and whatever other brand you put into a big box store with a high price.  Read halo!

Carmine D.

Replies: 3 - 12 of 140Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42