Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Acerone

Dyson DC23
Original Message   Mar 20, 2008 10:19 pm
The launch of the DC23 from the Canadian website is up.

Dyson DC23
Replies: 38 - 47 of 68Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Dyson DC23
Reply #38   Apr 26, 2008 8:39 am
HARDSELL wrote:
Mole,

Why do so many buy Dyson if all they care about is price.  It is one of the most expensive.  Why would anyone buy a $700 electric broom (Oreck)?

I can't answer the first authoritatively but a famous line from BT Barnum comes to mind.

The last is an easy one, HS.  Even I know the answer to it.  Because it [Oreck electric broom that cleans and grooms equal to a full sized upright] comes with a 21 year guaranty and free maintenance every year for life.  How many brooms do you still own and use after 21 years?  Think about how many one purchases in a lifetime.  What is the total cost?  Do they come with free maintenance for life and a 21 year guaranty?

At the turn of the 20th century, carpet sweepers were sold by comparing them to the cost of brooms.  A broom cost 25-50 cents.  A carpet sweeper usually from $1-$4 depending on the type of wood used.  Carpet sweepers according to the claims lasted indefinitely.  As opposed to brooms that wore out.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Apr 26, 2008 by CarmineD
mole

Reply #39   Apr 26, 2008 9:24 am
Hi H.S.,Oreck is an upright just like dysons dc18, Orecks have price ranges from 200.00 up,unlike dyson whos 300 plus, Carmine is correct the oreck cleans as well as any other upright out there.Also have a 40 + year reputation behind them,Also it's made in the U.S.A. one of the few left,but thats another story for later on.

If the customer really needs and upright for their application and are shopping oreck against dyson most places that sell both will sell the oreck,and keep the jobs in this country,B.T.W. central vacuum systems cost less than a DYSON or oreck....................

mole

CarmineD

Reply #40   Apr 27, 2008 7:19 am
mole wrote:
Hi H.S.,

If the customer really needs an upright for their application and are shopping oreck against dyson most places that sell both will sell the oreck,and keep the jobs in this country,

mole

Mole:

Sorry folks to get off subject.  And perhaps it's not off subject.  But is the subject.  Mole's observation about the vacuum industry, especially independents, is honest.  The indy dealers [thousands nationwide] sell Oreck-s in large part because they are USA made and have 45 plus years of history and sales success.  Big box retailers sell the foreign competition.  The Oreck is and always has been a top tier contender lasting a lifetime.  The big box retailers sell disposables. 

Getting back to dyson: Perhaps the reason dyson loses market share every year in it's own country of origin, the UK, is because the UK consumers disapprove of James Dyson's decision to out source jobs to foreign contractors in Malaysia.  Maybe they believe it is a socially irresponsible business decision.  Predicated on profit motives.  

Maybe that's the reason for Mr. Dyson promoting an Engineering school in the UK.  A way to give back to the UK [and try to gain back market share from the UK consumers who now shun dyson products].  Something to ponder?

Carmine D.

This message was modified Apr 27, 2008 by CarmineD
bucks03

Reply #41   May 3, 2008 9:50 am
I said I hated the plastic used on the new Dyson wands on the DC22 and DC23 cios they are not high quality steel or the alluminium they used to use on the other teloescopic models.  Though I never liked the alluminium.  The Dyson Australia says the following. about it.

NEW! Lightweight Telescopic Wand
Glass fibre composite wand for extra strength and lightness

Why cant the UK site or brochure be more informative.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #42   Jun 25, 2008 9:25 am
BestVacuum.com has Dyson's on sale and is showing the DC23 for sale too - $700 for a better filtering DC21?.  Here.
This message was modified Jun 25, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #43   Jun 25, 2008 1:21 pm
DIB:

I'll make the same observation [not theory] about the dysons from Bestvacuum.com as bestbuys.com.  ALL the dysons, including the latest and greatest DC24 and 25, are discounted from MSRP.  Many substantially.  Except one:  The least:  DC16 still $149.  There is even a disclaimer excluding the DC16 for discounts from MSRP.   Did you see it?  Interesting?  Absurd?  Laughable?  All the above?  I'll go with all the above.  iMacDaddy nailed it right.  Dyson is scrubbing the DC16.  Gave up on improving the run time. 

Two different sites on two different days and same observation to make.  All dysons are discounted from MSRP but one.  Why?  It's the worse of the dysons.  But the DC16 is listed at $149.  The original and full MSRP.  Why? 

Try this for an answer.  Dyson USA is discounting the DC16 by $100 with the sale of any new dyson.  Put the word out to retailers not to discount the DC16.  How long will it be until the few retailers stuck with these do the same as dyson.  Or better?  They have to do something to compete with dyson and get rid of these.  They are not going to increase in run time based on increased time sitting on the shelves.  The longer these lay unsold, the more difficult they are to sell.  Especially with the run time specified and the star ratings of the users.

Unless dyson agreed with the retailers to take all these back for credit?  Like the DC11.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jun 25, 2008 by CarmineD
dusty

Reply #44   Jun 25, 2008 10:48 pm
CarmineD wrote:
DIB:

I'll make the same observation [not theory] about the dysons from Bestvacuum.com as bestbuys.com.  ALL the dysons, including the latest and greatest DC24 and 25, are discounted from MSRP.  Many substantially.

All dysons are discounted from MSRP but one.  Why?  It's the worse of the dysons.  But the DC16 is listed at $149.  The original and full MSRP.

I will make the same observation regarding any brand that is sold thru box stores, not just Dyson.  A look at Amazon.com finds every Hoover they carry deeply discounted off the MSRP. Same applies to Bissell.  If your argument is that they don't command the same pricing at Dyson then check www.allergybegone.com and find all the Electrolux product discounted to death.   As far as the DC16 not being reduced at those two websites, that is indeed true but a little searching finds Best Buy and many other retailers discounting the product. If deep discounts sounded the death bell for a brand of vacuums we'd all be using brooms and dustpans to clean with.

Dusty
This message was modified Jun 25, 2008 by dusty
CarmineD

Reply #45   Jun 26, 2008 7:12 am
dusty wrote:
I will make the same observation regarding any brand that is sold thru box stores, not just Dyson.  A look at Amazon.com finds every Hoover they carry deeply discounted off the MSRP. Same applies to Bissell.  If your argument is that they don't command the same pricing at Dyson then check www.allergybegone.com and find all the Electrolux product discounted to death.   As far as the DC16 not being reduced at those two websites, that is indeed true but a little searching finds Best Buy and many other retailers discounting the product. If deep discounts sounded the death bell for a brand of vacuums we'd all be using brooms and dustpans to clean with.

Dusty

Thank you Dusty for using observation and not theory.  Here's the crux of the matter.  All the dyson dealers in the past here bragged of dyson's MAP and price supports for product MSRP.  You too.  MOLE and I said it wouldn't last.  All you need do is check the past vacuum history for big box retailers.  In the big box venue, these retailers would force dyson to drop prices and like it.  Or else.  You and all the dyson fans argued that it would never happen with dyson.  NEVER.  Maybe on the old discontinued models [MAYBE] but not the new dyson stuff.  WRONG.   Discounts on everything dyson, new and old.   Except the DC16 which will probably get scrubbed by dyson in the USA after they are all given away. 

Dyson fans flip flop now and put dyson in the same category as all the big box vacuums.  Hello!  Thank you!  Flip flop, flip flop when will it stop?  You're late to the right side of the debate.  MOLE and I told you this years ago.  Didn't listen.  Rookies!

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jun 26, 2008 by CarmineD
dusty

Reply #46   Jun 26, 2008 9:46 am
CarmineD wrote:
Thank you Dusty for using observation and not theory.  Here's the crux of the matter.  All the dyson dealers in the past here bragged of dyson's MAP and price supports for product MSRP.  You too.  MOLE and I said it wouldn't last.  All you need do is check the past vacuum history for big box retailers.  In the big box venue, these retailers would force dyson to drop prices and like it.  Or else.  You and all the dyson fans argued that it would never happen with dyson.  NEVER.  Maybe on the old discontinued models [MAYBE] but not the new dyson stuff.  WRONG.   Discounts on everything dyson, new and old.   Except the DC16 which will probably get scrubbed by dyson in the USA after they are all given away. 

Dyson fans flip flop now and put dyson in the same category as all the big box vacuums.  Hello!  Thank you!  Flip flop, flip flop when will it stop?  You're late to the right side of the debate.  MOLE and I told you this years ago.  Didn't listen.  Rookies!

Carmine D.

I have never thought of Dyson as anything more than a box store vacuum which is why we held off so long before bringing them in.  When a vac is sold nationally in a box store environment you have to expect that price will not hold.  I will point out however that for the 3 years Dyson has been in Canada pricing has stayed at MSRP for the most part.  I have never bragged about Dysons MSRP or said price will never drop, I haven't been here long enough to get into those discussions. I will say the high price has been good for our industry because the customer now relates to a better vacuum costing $500-$700. It's much easier to sell Riccar, Miele etc when people have been inundated with advertising showing high price points than when they come in thinking a great quality vacuum is a $150 Dirt Devil.

Dusty
This message was modified Jun 26, 2008 by dusty
CarmineD

Reply #47   Jun 26, 2008 6:14 pm
Hello Dusty:

I could not have written your post better myself.  I agree with everything you said about dyson being just another big box seller subject to all the pricing shananigans of the big box store models.

I apologize to you for grouping you in with all the other dyson dealers who spouted the drivel that dyson was different.  You obviously do not hold that position.  My compliments.

Dyson has done more to revitalize the vacuum industry in the USA by accident than all the other vacuum makers have done on purpose in the last 50 years.  I've said this many times.  But it's worth repeating for you who may not have read it before and others who have.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jun 26, 2008 by CarmineD
Replies: 38 - 47 of 68Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42