Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Dyson vacuum & other vacuum related videos & photos...

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
DysonInventsBig

Dyson vacuum & other vacuum related videos & photos...
Original Message   Nov 22, 2007 12:23 am
1)  Nov 21, 2007 James Dyson t.v. commercial parodied on Saturday Night Live.

2)  March 17, 2009:  While many independent vacuum dealers bad-mouth, lie of and/or dismiss James Dyson and his teams contributions, many others champion the man.  Watch James Dyson in his element - in his Malmesbury Headquarters.  NBC’s “Today Show”  http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=en-us&vid=71fa9222-10d2-413c-bf31-0007895697ac

2)  Older video news:  I could not resist...  A Hottie car-news chick mentions the rumor of Dyson working with car makers, and Oreck gets a mention too (funny).

www.blinkx.com/video/hamann-stallion-audi-a7-fast-lane-daily-24jun08/JQ18e2m7y5hiULCgEQWSvw

This message was modified Oct 28, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

Replies: 15 - 24 of 316Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
DysonInventsBig

Re: Dyson and other Vacuum related videos...
Reply #15   Apr 25, 2008 5:03 pm

Nice video and report.  Thanks DIB. 

You’re welcome.

Seems like prima facie evidence that James Dyson wants the ball technology to be his legacy for vacuums.

It is one of many innovations.  The Ball is more or less a needed innovation and simply demonstrating it is easy to understand and advertise.  Dyson carved out another category all to himself…  our vacuums can turn and  pivot on a dime and our competitors don’t.

I have to wonder over that after the DC15 fizzled.  But who knows?  Maybe the second time is a charm? 

The DC15 in my mind was a very expensive proof of concept.  He proved people were indeed interested.  But weight and cost was not to be overcome it seems.  Although I love my DC15 and would recommend it (to men) over all other Dyson’s.

I can't say I was overly impressed by the DC18, DC24/25 all of which are spinoffs of the original ball.  Too much bulk added to the vacuums' form and function. 

Bulk?  Compared to what other turning vacuum?  You must remember, you’ve been using one of the lightest vacuums and using it presumably for a long time.  Pound for pound the Ball vacuums simply out maneuver all others.

I'm impressed with the design/three wheels on the Dirt Devil Kruz which works marvelously to make the 8 pound stick vacuum feel weightless.  But the 3 wheels probably weigh 3 -6 ounces and fit in the palm of my hand with room to spare.  Of course, the draw back is it doesn't work on carpets just hardwood barefloors.

It is just a twist on older products, it may work fine, but it’s just a twist.  This vacuum manufacturing field needs an inventive shot in the arm, don’t you think?  I find putting castors on a triangle boring and uninventive.  I have film of a Hoover Model “O” (or alike) using castors.  It indeed may move easy enough, but any competitor can feely copy it.  My potted floor plant sits on a triangular frame with castors.  Does Dirt Devil owe a bit of gratitude to my potted plant?   Just kiddin.        DIB

This message was modified Apr 25, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #16   Apr 25, 2008 5:39 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:

I can't say I was overly impressed by the DC18, DC24/25 all of which are spinoffs of the original ball.  Too much bulk added to the vacuums' form and function. 

Bulk?  Compared to what other turning vacuum?  You must remember, you’ve been using one of the lightest vacuums and using it presumably for a long time.  Pound for pound the Ball vacuums simply out maneuver all others.

I'm impressed with the design/three wheels on the Dirt Devil Kruz which works marvelously to make the 8 pound stick vacuum feel weightless.  But the 3 wheels probably weigh 3 -6 ounces and fit in the palm of my hand with room to spare.  Of course, the draw back is it doesn't work on carpets just hardwood barefloors.

It is just a twist on older products, it may work fine, but it’s just a twist.  This vacuum manufacturing field needs an inventive shot in the arm, don’t you think?  I find putting castors on a triangle boring and uninventive.  I have film of a Hoover Model “O” (or alike) using castors.  It indeed may move easy enough, but any competitor can feely copy it.  My potted floor plant sits on a triangular frame with castors.  Does Dirt Devil owe a bit of gratitude to my potted plant?   Just kiddin.        DIB

Hello DIB:

I prefer the lightweight upright vacuums without on-board attachments for daily use: Like the Oreck and RICCAR/Simplicity.  The dyson ball wheel with its twisting and turning doesn't do anything for my cleaning needs.  I like the ease of getting the Oreck under furniture and beds.  The dysons can't go there with the ball wheels.  Hence the on-board attachments.  Also added bulk and weight for my daily vacuuming needs.

If you haven't used the Kruz, you can't appreciate its maneuvering on hard floors.  With the triangular floor nozzle, the Kruz virtually goes into the tightest and hard to reach areas with no hand/wrist weight.  [Like bathrooms behind the toilet and between the vanity cabinets and walls].  And cleans right up against the floorboards. 

Just like the HSN users, several women tried it in my house including my daughter and Wife.  They absolutely fall in love with it's ease of handling.  It has shortcomings but not loving to use it is not one.   Dirt Devil uses the same wheel design on the Kruz as it does on the Power and Easy glide uprights.  Inexpensive and simple.  And works effectively. 

There is a very real concept called over engineering.  Some like it.  Some don't.  I'm in the latter.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Apr 25, 2008 by CarmineD
DC18

Dyson, Sebo and Bissell user

Reply #17   Apr 25, 2008 6:08 pm
Interesting video link DIB!  That DC24 is getting alot of coverage!
DysonInventsBig

Reply #18   Apr 25, 2008 7:12 pm

DC18,

It is always nice to get a response, I can count on yours.  Thanks.        DIB

Airblade,

Can you tell us how successful the DC18 was and if its success encouraged James to finance, develop and release more turning/pivoting Ball vacuums?  Thanks!        DIB

Airblade

Reply #19   Apr 25, 2008 9:26 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:

DC18,

It is always nice to get a response, I can count on yours.  Thanks.        DIB

Airblade,

Can you tell us how successful the DC18 was and if its success encouraged James to finance, develop and release more turning/pivoting Ball vacuums?  Thanks!        DIB

Hey DIB,
I'm fairly certain that the DC24/25 vacs were in development before the DC18's success could be measured.  The majority of consumers that tried the DC15 thought that the idea was spectacular, but it was heavy..........there was always a plan to 'slim' it down.

Last I checked, DC18 was the #2 selling sku for Dyson, behind the DC17 Animal.
CarmineD

Reply #20   Apr 26, 2008 7:43 am
Airblade wrote:

Hello Matt:

Are you talking units sold, or dollars?  I'm not familiar with "sku."

Carmine D.

Airblade

Reply #21   Apr 26, 2008 8:13 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Matt:

Are you talking units sold, or dollars?  I'm not familiar with "sku."

Carmine D.

Both units and dollars

SKU is short for stock-keeping unit.  It is a very common retail acronym.  According to Wikipedia, a sku is a unique identifyer (usually a number) for each of the distinct products and services that can be ordered from a supplier.

DC18 would be the model and DC18 All Floors would be the sku.
CarmineD

Reply #22   Apr 26, 2008 8:15 am
Thanks, Matt. 

Carmine D.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #23   Apr 27, 2008 6:32 pm
Airblade wrote:
Hey DIB,
I'm fairly certain that the DC24/25 vacs were in development before the DC18's success could be measured.  The majority of consumers that tried the DC15 thought that the idea was spectacular, but it was heavy..........there was always a plan to 'slim' it down.

Airblade.

Thank you for your response.  I was not at all expecting the 2 most expensive non-Ball uprights to be 1 and 2 in SKU’s.  With their MSRP’s of $500 and $479… amazing!  Well, it seems Dyson’s 2 biggest spenders/consumers are those who want 1) Dyson’s best - in what is believed to be best in suction and/or filtering.  And 2) Dyson’s best in maneuverability and weight, even if a little suction and filtering is sacrificed to keep the weight down.  A woman I know said she had a Dyson.  I asked which one?  She said, I do not know but I told my husband to by the best Dyson.  She described the vacuum and it was the DC17.

James’ latest offerings have a singular "strong" look – the yellow (color for now) Ball line.  Am I to assume the DC25 is to replace the DC18?  James looks to be purposely creating a bold/uniformed signature look with the DC24/25 Ball’s.  These Ball vacuums sitting at retail are screaming “Look at me, I’m different – try me out and see if I can maneuver as good as James claims.”  I love the very simple yet ingenious DC18 ball design.  I’m curious, was launching the DC18 for the purpose of getting a quick to engineer/get in the publics hands so to finally prove a turning/pivoting market and to get feedback for the next Ball version?  To me, the DC25’s primary benefit for the user over the DC18 is the 20 extra airwatts.  The DC25's benefit for Dyson is it allows Dyson to advertise and claim the DC25’s suction is as good as full sized cousins.  My guess is the 200 airwatts of the DC18 could be a bit of a sticking point for consumers.

Thanks again.        DIB

This message was modified Apr 28, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #24   Apr 28, 2008 7:41 am

DIB wrote:

"Airblade.

Thank you for your response.  I was not at all expecting the 2 most expensive non-Ball uprights to be 1 and 2 in SKU’s [DC17 and 18].  With their MSRP’s of $500 and $479…"

Hello DIB:

Most big box retailers are discounting the DC17 and DC18 dyson models from MSRP.  But they don't advertise the prices. 

For example, we recently emailed about dysons not being on sale during several back to back Kohl's sales.  I noted that 2 Kohl's stores in N. Las Vegas have marked down the DC17 and DC18 models to $409 and $369 respectively.  Of course, they can't advertise the sale prices else be in violation of dyson MAP.  I don't know how long they have been discounted at these prices.  I recall also that K-mart and BEST BUY stores are selling these models, unadvertised of course, for comparable prices to Kohl's.  My sense is the lower prices account for the sales popularity too.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Apr 28, 2008 by CarmineD
Replies: 15 - 24 of 316Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42