Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Acerone

Dyson DC23
Original Message   Mar 20, 2008 10:19 pm
The launch of the DC23 from the Canadian website is up.

Dyson DC23
Replies: 28 - 37 of 68Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Motorhead

Re: Dyson DC23
Reply #28   Apr 21, 2008 10:15 pm
Hi everyone,

Heard more on the DC23 today.  I called my local Dyson dealer to inquire about them and he said he had just received a shipment of DC23s last Friday.  Unfortunately, the US version does not have the digital motor, though he did mention that the motor is different than the DC21.  It does have Core separation (though the final stage is not in a series like I thought before; the cyclones are in parallel like the other models), and the telescoping wand (which does disconnect from the hose; it is worth noting that this is a current change in the production run and the first 10,000 or so do not disconnect as they use DC21 wand assemblies) is multiple-position.  The Motorhead is also slightly different from the DC21's version, with a bumper in the front.

But what a letdown.  These features, while an improvement over the DC21, do not justify the hefty $800 pricetag; if this machine was priced along the lines of the DC17 it would make much more sense.  If I'm going to pay upwards of $600 for a vacuum, it had better have one feature that stands out from the competition (in this case it *would have been* the brushless DDM).  Best of luck to the dealers trying to sell these possible white elephants at $800, I think the only way they will be able to is if they lower the price drastically (but still enough to recoup their initial investment) to around $600 or so.  Really, this suggested retail is all about profits; as I was told these are $400 wholesale.  How much $#%* money does a dealer need to make on a single machine these days!?

May as well get a brushless Rainbow...

-MH
This message was modified Apr 22, 2008 by Motorhead
DysonInventsBig

Reply #29   Apr 23, 2008 4:39 pm

Motorhead,

Many thanks.  I read and listen to all things Dyson especially the hard to come by stuff.  Keep the information coming.        DIB

dusty

Reply #30   Apr 23, 2008 5:30 pm
Motorhead wrote:

But what a letdown.  These features, while an improvement over the DC21, do not justify the hefty $800 pricetag; if this machine was priced along the lines of the DC17 it would make much more sense.  If I'm going to pay upwards of $600 for a vacuum, it had better have one feature that stands out from the competition (in this case it *would have been* the brushless DDM).  Best of luck to the dealers trying to sell these possible white elephants at $800, I think the only way they will be able to is if they lower the price drastically (but still enough to recoup their initial investment) to around $600 or so.  Really, this suggested retail is all about profits; as I was told these are $400 wholesale.  How much $#%* money does a dealer need to make on a single machine these days!?

May as well get a brushless Rainbow...

-MH

Hi Motorhead,

We've had the DC23's in stock for a couple weeks now selling at $649 for the motorhead and $749 for the motorhead animal. The DC21 which is $599 hasn't moved since we received the new product.  It's been no problem selling up and all though we've been trying to sell down to DC21's (to reduce inventory) we've yet to have anyone save the $50 bucks and go that route.  Dyson customers are a strange bunch...they know what they want and price does not seem to phase them in the least.  How else do you explain paying $30-$50 for "Genuine" Dyson attachments?

Dusty
CarmineD

Reply #31   Apr 24, 2008 7:34 am
dusty wrote:
Hi Motorhead,

We've had the DC23's in stock for a couple weeks now selling at $649 for the motorhead and $749 for the motorhead animal. The DC21 which is $599 hasn't moved since we received the new product.  It's been no problem selling up and all though we've been trying to sell down to DC21's (to reduce inventory) we've yet to have anyone save the $50 bucks and go that route.  Dyson customers are a strange bunch...they know what they want and price does not seem to phase them in the least.  How else do you explain paying $30-$50 for "Genuine" Dyson attachments?

Dusty

Hello Dusty:

Since the DC23 appears to be a dealer dyson, you have a captured market with no big box competition.  Helps to sell to canister minded dyson fans.  So what do you do with the DC21?  Mark down? 

Carmine D.

mole

Reply #32   Apr 24, 2008 8:37 am
Could any of you please justify the cost of this machine,Are the customers getting their moneys worth?. Does it really offer any advantages over machines that cost half the price?Other than the cyclone set up that has really nothing to do with anything,It looks like the attachments are wessel-werks, not bad.For the 749.99 price there are much better units out there.Dyson should just stop embarrising themselves by thinking the consumer just going to swallow this just because Dyson says they should.

The only thing that these prices are doing is forceing people to look elsewhere.I got news for you guys it's going to backfire on them.It already has.

And now they are turning back to the indys again,The old saying goes once bitten twice shy........

regards

MOLE

dusty

Reply #33   Apr 24, 2008 9:51 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Dusty:

Since the DC23 appears to be a dealer dyson, you have a captured market with no big box competition.  Helps to sell to canister minded dyson fans.  So what do you do with the DC21?  Mark down? 

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine,

The DC23 isn't a dealer exclusive in Canada and can be bought at most department stores.  The DC21's will sell, we'll probably toss in and extra attachment to the package to help them out but after that we'll be mainly DC23's for inventory and one or two DC21's in case someone wants one.

Dusty
CarmineD

Reply #34   Apr 25, 2008 7:32 am
mole wrote:
Could any of you please justify the cost of this machine,Are the customers getting their moneys worth?. Does it really offer any advantages over machines that cost half the price?Other than the cyclone set up that has really nothing to do with anything,It looks like the attachments are wessel-werks, not bad.For the 749.99 price there are much better units out there.Dyson should just stop embarrising themselves by thinking the consumer just going to swallow this just because Dyson says they should.

The only thing that these prices are doing is forceing people to look elsewhere.I got news for you guys it's going to backfire on them.It already has.

And now they are turning back to the indys again,The old saying goes once bitten twice shy........

regards

MOLE

Dyson customers are a strange bunch...they know what they want and price does not seem to phase them in the least.  How else do you explain paying $30-$50 for "Genuine" Dyson attachments?

Dusty

Mole:

Dusty provided the best answer to your question I've heard and read.  I posted for you.  Several times in the past I asked dyson retailers if buyers ever ask about the Consumer Reports ratings.  Most big box retailers tell me they are not allowed to quote CR.  They tell me that dyson buyers don't care what CR reports about dysons.  The word of mouth overwhelms the CR assessments.  Now dyson has the best of both worlds.  With the dyson reliability ratings [so far] showing well, dyson buyers can say, I told you so.  At least for now.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Apr 25, 2008 by CarmineD
mole

Reply #35   Apr 26, 2008 6:53 am
Hi Carmine. You too H.S., I am going to let it out of the bag,the only thing the customer cares about is the price, if it breaks under warranty and they will the only redeeming factor is that the local dealer will handle the issues,you and i both know that dyson and hoover and some others have the shop owners trapped because of the contractual agreements,the big box stores make the sales and then use us as patsies for warranty work. I would say that most indys put competitive products on the back burner,after dealing with most EURO companies they could care less about their dealer network other than the ocaisional walk through by the regional manager which usually costs us lunch and coffee. The talk is the usual chit chat about the other stores the hardware stores that sell 5 to your 1 of products,these guys really make you feel good and then try and give you expert advice about how to run your business[business plans] which more than likely work only in favor for them not you,

Though the experience gained over the years i take these people with a grain of salt, not all i dislike but most.

The best line ever is i said to a few of these manufactures reps, If you think your so smart how come your still working[and broke] , He did not take to kindly to that and left and quit.

Carmine, I cannot sell dyson and tell my customers that we are doing them a favor,the machine is absolutely not worth the money,and most LEGIT dealers tell the customers please dont buy it from me,i really dont need the headaches down the road,it's also nice to see the customer come back later down the road and says i should have listened to you,

MOLE
CarmineD

Reply #36   Apr 26, 2008 7:35 am
mole wrote:
Hi Carmine. You too H.S., I am going to let it out of the bag,the only thing the customer cares about is the price, if it breaks under warranty and they will the only redeeming factor is that the local dealer will handle the issues,you and i both know that dyson and hoover and some others have the shop owners trapped because of the contractual agreements,the big box stores make the sales and then use us as patsies for warranty work. I would say that most indys put competitive products on the back burner,after dealing with most EURO companies they could care less about their dealer network other than the ocaisional walk through by the regional manager which usually costs us lunch and coffee. The talk is the usual chit chat about the other stores the hardware stores that sell 5 to your 1 of products,these guys really make you feel good and then try and give you expert advice about how to run your business[business plans] which more than likely work only in favor for them not you,

Though the experience gained over the years i take these people with a grain of salt, not all i dislike but most.

The best line ever is i said to a few of these manufactures reps, If you think your so smart how come your still working[and broke] , He did not take to kindly to that and left and quit.

Carmine, I cannot sell dyson and tell my customers that we are doing them a favor,the machine is absolutely not worth the money,and most LEGIT dealers tell the customers please dont buy it from me,i really dont need the headaches down the road,it's also nice to see the customer come back later down the road and says i should have listened to you,

MOLE

Mole: I agree.  With everything.  I would not sell particular vacuum brands too.  Did okay for 40 plus years.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #37   Apr 26, 2008 7:49 am
mole wrote:

MOLE

Mole,

Why do so many buy Dyson if all they care about is price.  It is one of the most expensive.  Why would anyone buy a $700 electric broom (Oreck)?

Replies: 28 - 37 of 68Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42