Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Acerone

Dyson DC23
Original Message   Mar 20, 2008 10:19 pm
The launch of the DC23 from the Canadian website is up.

Dyson DC23
Replies: 16 - 25 of 68Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Motorhead

Re: Dyson DC23
Reply #16   Apr 16, 2008 10:01 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Any predictions on the likely sales venue for the DC23?  Big box stores.  On-line?  Independents?

All the above?  $700 plus is a steep price tag for a cann even with DDM and power nozzle, especially in a big box retail venue.  It would be a first in a long time.  Lux tried it years ago and it flopped. 

Carmine D.

The DC23 will likely be independent-only, due to the price and the DDM, the advantages of which will have to be clearly presented to the consumer in order for him/her to make the purchase.  Good, effective demonstrations are something big-box retailers cannot do.  It has been proven to me time and time again whenever I visit one.

-MH
This message was modified Apr 16, 2008 by Motorhead
CarmineD

Reply #17   Apr 17, 2008 7:44 am
Motorhead wrote:
The DC23 will likely be independent-only, due to the price and the DDM, the advantages of which will have to be clearly presented to the consumer in order for him/her to make the purchase.  Good, effective demonstrations are something big-box retailers cannot do.  It has been proven to me time and time again whenever I visit one.

-MH

Finally, a dealer only dyson!  I have to wonder now just how successful Mr. Dyson will be in getting these dyson vacuums into the vacuum indies.  And if Mr. Dyson is, how successful will these indies be in selling these new dyson canisters?  Many of these targeted dyson dealers will be anxiously awaiting the new USA Miele bagless vacuums and bagged uprights. 

This is not the best time for the USA economy [and worldwide, including Japan].  Most economists are saying it's the worse in several decades and probably won't improve for the foreseeable future. 

Not the best time to launch a $700 plus esoteric vacuum sold exclusively through dyson authorized vacuum dealers.   Maybe dyson will offer some kind of promotions to its dealers?  Buy the DC23 and get a free DC 15, 16, 17, and/or 18.  Who knows. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Apr 17, 2008 by CarmineD
Lucky1

Reply #18   Apr 17, 2008 11:29 am
I'm not sure WHY indie dealers would respond well to Dyson after the little amount of respect, loyalty, profit margin etc. historically given them by the company....
Trilobite

Reply #19   Apr 17, 2008 4:18 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Any predictions on the likely sales venue for the DC23?  Big box stores.  On-line?  Independents?

All the above?  $700 plus is a steep price tag for a cann even with DDM and power nozzle, especially in a big box retail venue.  It would be a first in a long time.  Lux tried it years ago and it flopped. 

Carmine D.

Wait a minute, somebody is jumping the gun!

There is no evidence at all, that says any of the current range of Dyson cleaners, on sale in USA or Europe, are fitted with the Dyson Digital Motor!

As far as I am aware, only the Japanese market had such motors.

The DDM is supposed to generate one third more suction than an ordinary motor, so a 200 air Watt ordinary motor machine should be nearer 300 air Watts if the DDM is present.

CarmineD

Reply #20   Apr 17, 2008 6:52 pm
Hello Trilobite:

I never said it did.  My point is the price tag is high regardless of what it has.  And at the high price it would be a difficult sales venue at the big box retailers, dyson's usual sales market.

My sense is Mr. Dyson wants to test market the DDM DC23 in Japan first.  See what all the glitches may be.  The Japanese consumers are much more forgiving than the US.  Then polish it up/over and launch in the USA.  After the DC11 canister in 2004, I think he learned a lesson about US consumers.   He is still shell shocked.  

This is not the best time for a $700 plus dyson canister in the USA unless it's twice as good as the competition without any wiggle room for the slightest doubt.   The only proof postive to support this fact is that the indy vacuum dealers have to sell it with their full faith and confidence.  I don't think that's going to happen.  Although they [indy dealers] can certainly quote the latest CR results for dyson reliability to help make their case.  If they are so inclined.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Apr 17, 2008 by CarmineD
iMacDaddy

Electrolux UltraOne EL7070, Bissell BigGreen Deep Cleaning Machine

Reply #21   Apr 18, 2008 12:02 am
I spoke with one of the Dyson phone operators today, and she said that this model is going to be sold through only independent vacuum shops, in addition to up-market online retailers like the one I hyperlinked a fews posts back. From the information she had, she saw no signs of a DDM being featured in the DC23.
This message was modified Apr 18, 2008 by iMacDaddy
DysonInventsBig

Reply #22   Apr 20, 2008 6:34 pm

iMacDaddy:  Thanks for the call to Dyson and the post.

Anyone:  I myself do not care for the DC21 ball/power head due to its heavy weight and the bulky and somewhat heavy connector fitting at the end of the wand.  The DC23 Canada uses the DC21’s power nozzle on the DC23, it will probably be the same for the U.S., but I hope not.  I must admit I do compare my DC05 in weight to the subsequent Dyson canisters.  I’ve posted these weights before but here they are again, the combined weights for the hose, wand and power nozzle on; DC05 - 5.6lbs. vs. DC21 – 8.6lbs.  Three pounds is a lot of additional weight.  In addition the DC05's wand can separate from the hose where the DC21 and presumably the DC22/23 cannot.  Am I the only one who thinks separating the hose from the wand is what the general public wants and expects?        DIB

This message was modified Apr 22, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

DC18

Dyson, Sebo and Bissell user

Reply #23   Apr 21, 2008 5:33 pm
Hi DIB

I believe you can take the hose of the telescope wand on the DC21, DC22 and DC23.  The tools then fit straight onto the hose end!

DC18

DysonInventsBig

Reply #24   Apr 21, 2008 5:54 pm
DC18 wrote:
Hi DIB

I believe you can take the hose of the telescope wand on the DC21, DC22 and DC23.  The tools then fit straight onto the hose end!

DC18

Hey DC,

For sure the straight suction models had the ability to detach the hose from the wand.  But the photos on the Japanese DDM DC22 Motorhead showed the wand and hose unable to disconnect, just like the DC21 Stowaway.  I for one dislike immensely my Stowaway’s single piece hose and wand.        DIB

DC18

Dyson, Sebo and Bissell user

Reply #25   Apr 21, 2008 5:58 pm
Sorry DIB I forgot the DC21 (same in the UK) doesn't have this due to the motorhead powered nozzle!  Also our DC23 in the UK is just suction with air driven power nozzles not motor driven hence you can remove the hose and wand.  I forgot the US version of the DC23 is power driven!

DC18

Replies: 16 - 25 of 68Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42