Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > HOOVER WT Anniversary Editions 5 Altogether

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
CarmineD

HOOVER WT Anniversary Editions 5 Altogether
Original Message   Apr 8, 2008 2:39 pm
Apparently to be available at BEST BUY Stores soon.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8773393&type=product&id=1204331806923

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jul 7, 2008 by CarmineD
Replies: 10 - 19 of 19Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: HOOVER WT Anniversary Editions 3 Altogether
Reply #10   Apr 21, 2008 4:49 pm
BEST BUY store in Las Vegas has just launched all the Electrolux Appliances from Europe.  According to the BEST BUY staff, they are going big time into all the Electrolux appliances.  Displays all over. 

Got a demo on the DC24 and 25 from a sales associate.  The same who sold me the HOOVER cann.  She got the filter cleaning times wrong saying 6 months for all.  I corrected her by pulling off the filters and showing her.  She mentioned to me that the dyson rep, who had just left, failed to tell her the new cleaning intervals.  She was glad I pointed it out.

Outside the one faux pax, she got everything right.  She knew the HOOVER TTI Dirt Devil connection.  And the whole Whirlpool Maytag thing.  Having a DC14, she knew the brush bar shortcomings with the early dyson models and the made in Malaysia.    She demoed a halo for me on sale for $299.  It was a display model.  BEST BUY didn't sell many. There was no kickback to the sales associates for each new one sold.

I liked the DC25 better than the DC24 and DC18.  But not enough to buy, at least not yet. 

I did leave with a new Dirt Devil Kruz and some belts for my HOOVER WT Supreme.  The Kruz is on battery charge waiting until tomorrow for it's maiden voyage run.  Not worth the $99 price tag IMHO because it does not have a revolving brush [like the $25-$40 HOOVER Slider], although I was told that BEST BUY has sold alot of these [and the DD Kones].  The Kruz get's a 4 out of 5 on the BEST BUY buyers' opinion ratings.  But not many raters.

No HOOVER anniversary models yet.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Apr 21, 2008 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #11   Apr 22, 2008 7:53 am
mole wrote:
HI carmine, i would go along with your way of thinking,THERE IS NO ONE ELSE LEFT, I MUST SAY THAT .A.B. Electrolux have put themselves in the drivers seat in the box stores,They own eureka/sanitaire,beam central vacuums, motor maufactures and even some we dont know about, The Eureka marker is really known for the canisters in the lower to mid range always gave a decent power team for the money,The G.E. canister was just a rebadged eureka canister.I must say it was a decent machine for the money although the powernozzles always gave trouble after a short time.I would say that the box stores are not the venue for vacs costing more than 200.00,you and i have been saying that for a long time now.I THINK THEY ARE STARTING TO REALIZE THAT THE UNDER 100.00 MACHINES ARE THEIR MARKET.When the high end stuff comes back on them because of really bad customer support,dont even start about that.People are still willing to pay for a quality piece thats backed up by expert repair and service centers.All that has to be done is just follow through on your claims.......................AND BELIEVE ME ITS GETS A LOT EASIER DOWN THE ROAD.

MOLE

Hello Mole:

Ironically, this BEST BUY store which looks like an Electrolux Appliances store now doesn't even carry any of the Electrolux [Eureka] vacuum line except on-line.  Not even the Infinity.  It just doesn't sell enough to justify the in store stock, I'm told. 

As you said, mostly the boxed China imports, like the Kruz I bought and dyson.  I see dyson is giving away the Car Care Kit with each sale, too.

This particular store, only about a year old, is not very busy [I'm told].  It did have some open vacuum items like the halo and a few dyson DC18's on discount.  The prices will be lowered weekly until sold.  I just don't like the tipsiness of the DC18.  I might spring for the halo if it goes to $200 or less.  Ironically, still DC07's new in the box for sale.  I believe these are the overflow that BEST BUY got stuck with when Wal*Mart and dyson parted ways some years ago. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Apr 22, 2008 by CarmineD
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #12   Apr 22, 2008 3:08 pm
According to the Best Buy web site, it says that the Windtunnel meets the Energy Star label qualifications.    How does a vacuum that consumes 12 amps result in a 10-50% reduction in energy use compared to standard models? 

From Best Buy web site:
    "What is ENERGY STAR?
     If you want to reduce the cost to operating your appliances, buying ENERGY STAR appliances is a quick, easy way to identify Appliances that incorporate advanced technologies for a 10-50% reduction in energy and        
    water usage, compared to standard models."

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
CarmineD

Reply #13   Apr 22, 2008 4:33 pm
Hello Severus:

Interesting isn't it.  I noticed that too.  Mole and I had a discussion about variable speed uprights.  I'm wondering if these are them.  Initial start up takes more, then operation speed requires less, then finally even less for shut down and off.  Perhaps increases for attachment use.  Not really sure.  I had hoped to see and ask BEST BUY about this feature.  But alas the Anniversary models had not made their way into the store yet.  To my knowledge no other vacuums on the market today except the HOOVER WT has this designation.

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #14   Apr 22, 2008 9:34 pm
Severus wrote:
According to the Best Buy web site, it says that the Windtunnel meets the Energy Star label qualifications.    How does a vacuum that consumes 12 amps result in a 10-50% reduction in energy use compared to standard models? 

Hi Severus,

To my mind, the little bit that there is I mean, energy savings as far as vacuum cleaners are concerned is just a selling ploy for the silly.  You use far more energy when making use of heat producing appliances -- irons, electrric grills, electric ranges, clothes dryers, etc. However, thoughit was never part of my religion, there are those who feel that a high power draw vacuum cleaner will allow you to vacuum more effectively, pass for pass, and therefore manage the task in shorter time.  As for me -- don't know what I'm doing wrong but -- I somehow don't seem to vacuum in any less time with a 12 amp vac than I did with a 6 amp machine. 

Vacuuming over the years has not become less work intensive in recent years than it was 60 years ago.  We've got dishwashers with soft food disposers that require only dumping what's on a plate into the trash before its placement into the machine.  We even have washer'dryer combos to cut steps but vacuumiong is still basically vacuuming save for the Roomba and other devices.  However, those devices are not yet effective at thorough cleaning.  Anyway . . .

If energy savings were really an issue to vacuum manufacturers they'd use motors using less amperage but make better designed attachments and machines. 

Here's your cue to yawn . . .

But no, I'm not going to preach.   I merely would suggest that those concerned about energy use look at an old Lux Model XXX or Hoover uprights from back in the day and old Filter Queens.  None of these were big power eaters but all were great at helping achieve a job well done.

But speaking of modern times, more is always considered better.  Suggestions of sizable power set most consumers drooling and, Lordy me, adding the term "green" can lead to such wonderful illusions of "having it all."

Best,

Venson

mole

Reply #15   Apr 23, 2008 7:03 am
The only thing about going green is the green stuff being made off this new twist on the same old,old...............Arm@ Hammer baking soda in the bags,this is what started it all for the vacuum business,too bad for the bagless machines, they cant add this to their list of advertising and marketing HYPE..........

My toaster hass 1450 watts though,more than any vacuum sold in the U,S,A,, it doesnt clean my floors to well though.

LET'S SEE WHAT THE NEXT NEW USELESS TWIST IS, I THINK LOWERING THE PRICES MIGHT BE NEW AND INNOVATIVE,

MOLE
CarmineD

Reply #16   Apr 23, 2008 8:27 am
Going green is about "social responsibility" not just saving [or as Mole prefers making] money.

Carmine D.

Trilobite

Reply #17   Apr 23, 2008 7:31 pm
If it is any consolation, the EU is gearing up for energy efficiency ratings on vacuum cleaners, too. There are upright cleaners available that have 2000W motors. Far, far too much, in my opinion, as you cannot use the onboard tools properly, because there is no form of suction control.

Electrolux seems to have pre-empted the legislation, by producing the 'Enviro-vac' machine, with a 700W motor. Supposedly able to clean as efficiently as a machine with twice that power.

Hoover UK has machines that employ 1800, 1900 & 2000W motors, but use a flimsy brushroll.

Would it not be more sensible to downgrade the motor power and fit a decent agitator, like they used to have? This would also reduce the irritating, screaming noise that emanates from modern machines.

Venson

Reply #18   Apr 23, 2008 8:15 pm
Hi Trilobite,

That's what I meant.  Ability to clean well is a more a design issue than one regarding motor power.  A 500 watt vacuum that can channel air flow well can serve as well as one employing a thousand watts any day.  I know that because I have a Lux 1205 that just amazes me with its ability to do real work. 

Nonetheless, I still maintain that vacuuming whether with a high or lesser-powered machine doesn't make that much of a dent in an electric bill.  They are not usually used for all that long a time and, God knows, not usually used that often in many homes.

On the other hand our wonderful frost-free refrigerators burn up a lot of juice.  It is claimed that their power consumption has been lessened but at one point in time my local power supplier, Con Edison, claimed they cost about a dollar a day to run.  Now we're talking money -- $356.00 a year.  It's doubtful that you'll come near that at year end because of your vacuum.  The biggest drop in power consumption in my home has been due to switching to compact flourescent bulbs.

People are being played with. I am not saying that real conservation issues do not exist but this is much the same as all scare tactics used to send us scrambling about to hoping to buy a sense of safety.  Safety, in the bigger sense of the word, cannot be bought but simply being practical can move us closer to it.

Venson

CarmineD

Re: HOOVER WT Anniversary Editions 5 Altogether
Reply #19   Jul 7, 2008 3:12 pm
Originally thought there were 3.  Then 4.  Come to find out there are 5.  4 ups and a cann.  Nothing new as I said save colors and marginal design changes.  But certainly of interest to vacuum collectors and historians despite the HOOVER TTI union  and/or because of it.  100 years is a special celebration for a company in the vacuum industry.  Not many [royal another TTI sub] in the past have gone that long time.  If longevity is a sign of popularity, as dyson Matt says, then HOOVER must be the most popular in the industry at least for 2008! 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jul 7, 2008 by CarmineD
Replies: 10 - 19 of 19Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42