Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Annual Vacuum Sales Numbers

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Just

Annual Vacuum Sales Numbers
Original Message   Mar 20, 2008 1:22 pm
I was just wondering if the sales numbers of vacuums, or any small apppliance for that matter is posted anywhere?

I saw someone on another thread giving an annual sales amount for one brand, but do the companies publish their actuall output each year. I know the car companies can tell you exactally how many cars they moved in a given quarter.  Do such numbers exist for vacuums?

Can company X say the ______ is the best selling carpet sucker ever and have the numbers to back it? 

Replies: 2 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
MrApollinax

Re: Annual Vacuum Sales Numbers
Reply #2   Mar 20, 2008 4:48 pm
Might be worth a shot but if the company releases a anual financial report then the financials should give you some of this information.
CarmineD

Reply #3   Mar 20, 2008 7:50 pm
Just wrote:
No replies? 

Does this mean that they aren't published anywhere?

I was most curious about the high end machines.  Kirby, Rainbow, Lux,  They must be moving these machines in order to stay in business. 

Does anyone know how many new vacuums are sold annually of all brands?  Any thoughts anyone? 

Carmine I though surely you or Mole would have this info.

Just:

The issue with new vacuum sales numbers and dollars is that most companies hold this data close to their vest.  And they don't willingly release the information even in financial statements except in total dollar amounts.  It's considered proprietary information.  And unit sales are not a freedom of information item.  Just the dollars involved, particularly for publicly traded companies who file with the SEC.  Privately held companies are not required to report to the SEC.  Their sales data is even harder to get and verify for reliability.   

The best and only information is always provided in the aggregate terms and not by brand name.  The sources are usually industry watchers like Consumer Reports and NPD.  Newspapers, like the Wall Street Journal, and magazines like US News and World Report will quote the numbers in the aggregate by year.

The yearly data takes time to gather, compile and release.  Why?  How do you count the point of sale for vacuums?  Some brand makers may count the sale at the time the product leaves their warehouses for the retailers.  Is this a bona fide sale?  Some might argue that new vacuums sitting on shelves and in warehouses are inventory on hand,  not sales.  A sale isn't until the consumer takes ownership of the vacuum by a purchase.

Obviously for the door to door sales the above is not an issue.  It is only an issue for vacuum sales through the big box retailers.  Complicating the data gathering and reporting.

I reported recently on a separate thread that new vacuum sales for 2007 were down 3 percent.  The source was the NPD.  This is the first year in many that sales were down.  Consistently vacuum sales run pretty constant from year to year in the aggregate, although they may vary with brands.

BTW, NPD reported that in 2005, the leading new vacuum sold in the USA from January 1-June 30 [a 6 month period], was Dirt Devil.  More recently, the March 2008 edition of Consumer Reports said in rather nebulous terms that despite the lower reliability, HOOVER was still the most popular vacuum for sales.  What does that mean? 

I hope this information is useful.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Mar 20, 2008 by CarmineD
HARDSELL

Reply #4   Mar 20, 2008 9:35 pm
CarmineD wrote:

BTW, NPD reported that in 2005, the leading new vacuum sold in the USA from January 1-June 30 [a 6 month period], was Dirt Devil.  More recently, the March 2008 edition of Consumer Reports said in rather nebulous terms that despite the lower reliability, HOOVER was still the most popular vacuum for sales.  What does that mean? 

I hope this information is useful.

Carmine D.

It means that today and in the recent past low price was #1 and brand was #2.  We all know that both brands are a POS.

CarmineD

Reply #5   Mar 21, 2008 7:56 am
HARDSELL wrote:
It means that today and in the recent past low price was #1 and brand was #2.  We all know that both brands are a POS.

If what you say now is true, then it means your conclusions wrt new vacuums about the residents of Nevada apply to the entire country including the South.

Carmine D. 

HARDSELL

Reply #6   Mar 21, 2008 4:10 pm
CarmineD wrote:
If what you say now is true, then it means your conclusions wrt new vacuums about the residents of Nevada apply to the entire country including the South.

Carmine D. 

It also means that I am correct if what you said is true.

On a different post you say that the only units sales availaible are collective for the industry.  Now you tell us of two that are selling more.

CarmineD

Reply #7   Mar 21, 2008 6:12 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
It also means that I am correct if what you said is true.

On a different post you say that the only units sales availaible are collective for the industry.  Now you tell us of two that are selling more.

Yes, but I said it first.

No, I didn't tell you and/or others any unit sales numbers by vacuum brand.  The authoritative source for dyson is Matt [Airblade, a dyson insider].   He was gracious enough to provide the dyson unit sales for the USA for 2007.  Like I said, it's proprietary data.  Companies may/may not release the information.  It's not subject to the Freedom of Information Act disclosure.  Even Matt has been reluctant to release the 2007 data publicly before dyson.  

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #8   Mar 21, 2008 6:46 pm
CarmineD wrote:

No, I didn't tell you and/or others any unit sales numbers by vacuum brand.  The authoritative source for dyson is Matt [Airblade, a dyson insider].   He was gracious enough to provide the dyson unit sales for the USA for 2007.  Like I said, it's proprietary data.  Companies may/may not release the information.  It's not subject to the Freedom of Information Act disclosure.  Even Matt has been reluctant to release the 2007 data publicly before dyson.  

Carmine D.

If you do not know numbers by brand how do you know that two models (DD and Hoover) are the best sellers?
HARDSELL

Reply #9   Mar 21, 2008 8:42 pm
CarmineD wrote:

Carmine D.

Right, Little Johnny.  Now go get your cookie

I have said for years that low price is #1 consideration for vacuum purchases.  You always said it was performance.  In fact you claim to own a lot of CR's recommended vacs.  You said it first???, I said it correctly.

This message was modified Mar 21, 2008 by HARDSELL
CarmineD

Reply #10   Mar 22, 2008 8:01 am
HARDSELL wrote:
If you do not know numbers by brand how do you know that two models (DD and Hoover) are the best sellers?

Read my posts.  NPD for the 2005 DD sales claim and CR for the 2007 HOOVER sales claim. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #11   Mar 22, 2008 8:07 am
HARDSELL wrote:
Right, Little Johnny.  Now go get your cookie

I have said for years that low price is #1 consideration for vacuum purchases.  You always said it was performance.  In fact you claim to own a lot of CR's recommended vacs.  You said it first???, I said it correctly.

In fact I will, biscotti with a cup of joe.

In the end as far as sales are concerned, it's not the reason that people buy and where they do that matters.  It's the reality of what's bought and sold [cars or vacuums]. 

My favorite University Prof who I frequently quote here use to say all consumer goods in the final analysis are toasters.  They are bought and sold to do a job.  Toast bread. Pick up dirt. Transport from A to B.  All the rest is fluff.  I've said this for years too. 

You're beginning to turn into me!

Carmine D. 

This message was modified Mar 22, 2008 by CarmineD
Replies: 2 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42