Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > What's it worth . . .

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Venson

What's it worth . . .
Original Message   Mar 14, 2008 12:43 pm
Hi,

I want to ask a a series of questions re the worth of vacuum cleaner features --

What benefit is there in "slow start" electric motors?

Are two-stage fan set-ups the better system?

Has anyone any info to date re the capability of infrared vacuum speed controls as opposed to controls hard-wired in the hose?

Do or could owners of vacuums in parts of the world where 220 electricity is standard actually get more bang for the buck than 120 volt machines?  I've used vacuums while in Europe and noticed no difference in the suction of domestic vacuums or ours.

Thanks,

Venson

Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
mole

Re: What's it worth . . .
Reply #1   Mar 14, 2008 1:54 pm
Hello Venson, I will give you my 2 cents worth on your questions.

1Soft start ignitions,benefits to the customer really nothing,soft hit motors seem to be less Harsh on the entire motor assembly,sort of like how your refriderator works.

the theory behind soft start components is not as much shock at once to the motor,helping extend brush life,and bearing life.Most high end euro cans use soft start modules.

There are a few centrals that use this set up also[NUTONES CV850 FOR ONE]. These modules are quite expensive,over a C note ,plus labor.

2 I personally like the old 2 stage or twin fan double ball bearing motors,everything can be replaced,fans,bearings,carbons.The new vm3 or vortec motors are much lighter,and create lots of suction,but can not be serviced like the older motors,They are used almost universally by everyone now.Fan or carbon brush changes,FORGETABOUTIT. Yes they do come apart but putting it back together is almost impossible,IT just seems like no fixy,fixy,anymore just R@R.

Just so you know the prices of these motors are all pretty much in the same ball park.

The high end central vacuums,use the ametek/lamb high performance 2 or 3 stage blower motors.Yes these can be serviced,I still do it although i have been told that there are only a handfull of people that know and want to do this. It's a lot easier to just unbolt the motor and drop a new one in than going through the rebuild process.The new people are not even told this can be done.Just drop a new motor in and charge the customer 300+,and not get your hands dirty .

3 i believe your right on 240 volt applications,and overseas use there are really no differences that can be felt under use.

hope this helps,

MOLE

Venson

Re: What's it worth . . .
Reply #2   Mar 14, 2008 3:21 pm
mole wrote:
Hello Venson, I will give you my 2 cents worth on your questions.

MOLE

Thanks Mole, your two cents is always worth at least fifty bucks.

Venson

Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42