Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Removing Dyson DC04 switch

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
bucks03

Removing Dyson DC04 switch
Original Message   Mar 6, 2008 7:10 am
My Dyson DC04 has finally broken after 5 and half years of use.  The part where the handle goes into the main body has cracked which means when pulling the vacuum cleaner backwards the handle periodically comes out and no longer stays put.

The solution for me is to change the whole main duct of the machine with a new one.  I have ordered this for £18 from Dyson spares.  I will have to remove the switch from the body,  has anyone here had experience of removing this switch I know that it requires a screwdriver at the side of the switch button to remove the switch but I am worried I might break this.

Replies: 4 - 13 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
MrApollinax

Re: Removing Dyson DC04 switch
Reply #4   Mar 11, 2008 10:54 am
My google-fu brought this page up:

http://www.sparesaver.com/help-and-support/dyson-section/dyson-technical-advice-450/dyson-dc04-technical-advice-457/dyson-dc04-replacing-the-switch.html

I talks about replacing the switch but it shows (with pics!) that you first must remove the switch housing. Hope that helps!
Venson

Reply #5   Mar 11, 2008 11:29 am
MrApollinax wrote:
My google-fu brought this page up:

http://www.sparesaver.com/help-and-support/dyson-section/dyson-technical-advice-450/dyson-dc04-technical-advice-457/dyson-dc04-replacing-the-switch.html

I talks about replacing the switch but it shows (with pics!) that you first must remove the switch housing. Hope that helps!

Bravo MrApollinax.  It looks like you've saved the day. 

Best,

Venson

bucks03

Reply #6   Mar 11, 2008 1:33 pm
Venson wrote:
to do is call Dyson at -- 1-866-693-9766 -- and ask for pointers.On the other hand, if you don't want to do that and if you are brave and fearless, my best suggestion is that get out your screwdriver and go for it.  HOWEVER -- also get a pad and pencil so that you can carefully make note of what you've done step bystep to get the cleaner apart so that you make the re-assembly process as painless as possible.  Breaking any part or parts of your vacuum is not the answer it only makes for a larger problem which may well mean you'll end up buying a new vacuum.

Good luck,

Venson

Sorry I am in the UK so that number will not work here LOL.  Dyson will charge a whopping amount to get this fixed and I feel I could buy a new cleaner for the price they charge,  I am more than happy to take it apart to fiz it shame I have to though cos I hate fidling with products that still work,  the motor, clutch vital parts still work perfectly just the stupid crack that has caused this issue for me.

Venson

Reply #7   Mar 11, 2008 2:33 pm
bucks03 wrote:
Sorry I am in the UK so that number will not work here LOL. 

Here you go bucks03 -- 0800 954 0154 -- this number is from the site in the UK. -- looks like ours except for the zero up front.  ( http://www.dyson.co.uk/support/ )  The pictoral guide MrApollinax supplied seems pretty straightforward but if you need further help maybe you can find it there.

Dumb question but regarding the crack do you think something like Super Glue or Krazy Glue would help once you get the switch fixed? I tried it on a broken plastic piece that activated the on switch for a PC we had here at the office and it lasted several years until the computer died.

Best,

Venson

DC18

Dyson, Sebo and Bissell user

Reply #8   Mar 12, 2008 4:17 am
bucks03

Have you tried calling Dyson UK to check what they would charge?   I had the main body that houses the bin abd hose on my DC01 replaced in the past and they charged a standard £55.  Not sure if that is still the case, I think if it is a motor then of course it would be more.

DC18

bucks03

Reply #9   Mar 12, 2008 8:26 am
Hi Venson

I tried SUPER GLUE for plastic from my local hardware B & Q store but this did not work and I also applied gaffer tape and held the back of the machine when pushing and pulling on high resistant flooring but eventually this gave way and the handle just kept coming out cos the crack just opended upand would not hold the handle in.

I have already ordered a 'duct' from Dyson and this is supposed to be here and ordered a switch button and switch button holder from www.partmaster.co.uk they have all the parts for Dysons in UK.  Dysons own catalogue does not list these parts.  I think I will have to use this site again for my AEG LAVAMAT 72640 FL washing machine has the  drum hit the glass door and marked it when spinning a load of towels.  Anywway sorry I'm going off topic!

I will attempt to change the parts over to the new housing when the part arrives and hopefully my machine will be up and running.

Hi DC18

I think the price is more than £55.  Its charged at £65 fixed tariff.   I don't feel the need to get Dyson to comeout to do this when the whole duct assembly is under 20 quid, I can fix myself.  I replaced the motor in my spare Dyson DC05 last year.

bucks03

Reply #10   Mar 12, 2008 5:18 pm
All, just to let you know I have managed to swap over the main body of my DC04 for new one.  I had the DC04 literally in bits and then put it back together and all is ok.  The belt looks very dirty after 5 years of use but what do u expect?

The only thing is now that my DC04 no longer has the Dyson Helpline sticker or the serial number sticker as these where attached to the existing part.  A lot saved then getting Dyson engineer out.

CarmineD

Reply #11   Mar 12, 2008 5:59 pm
bucks03 wrote:

The only thing is now that my DC04 no longer has the Dyson Helpline sticker or the serial number sticker as these where attached to the existing part.  A lot saved then getting Dyson engineer out.

Bucks03:

If you access to a hand held hair dryer, you may be able to get the old serial number and hotline stickers off.  Using a medium to high hot setting, run the dryer over the stickers and slowly lift off a corner and continue heating and removing.  Be careful not to burn your fingers in the process.  Then use some new glue to replace the stickers on the new dyson housing.  Should work if you are patient.

Carmine D.

bucks03

Reply #12   Mar 13, 2008 8:19 am
Hi Carmine

I will see if I can peel it off.  However at the end I will not be able to place on the new part as the adhesive part would have come off the sticker.  I'm not too bothered as the machine is way out of gaurantee now.

Sus101

Reply #13   Dec 26, 2016 4:34 pm
I did as directed - I UNPLUGGED my Dyson. I used a flathead screwdriver, pushed the red on/off button down until I heard the click. You may have to push the screwdriver in the slot by the red button. Wow. I am so happy. The red button doesn't light up any more, but who cares, it works!!
Replies: 4 - 13 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42