Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Dumb question but . . .

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Venson

Dumb question but . . .
Original Message   Mar 3, 2008 11:47 pm
Does anyone remember the giant Hoover upright that was used for the Hoover commercial spots on the Gary Moore Show?  No relation I assume but the show's MC was Durwood Kirby.  If no one answers I'll understand -- you'll be telling your age.

Best,

Venson

This message was modified Mar 3, 2008 by Venson
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Dumb question but . . .
Reply #1   Mar 4, 2008 7:23 am
Hi Venson:

Gary Moore [and his partner Derwood Kirby] advertised HOOVER vacuums for many years on TV starting in the 50's and through the 60's.  If I recall correctly, the very first HOOVER was the model 29 [maroon] in the early 50's.  Television and TV channels were in their infancy in the USA.  Not much available to watch for years and most times the TV sat unused.  Gary Moore was probably the first TV show MC with a sense of humor.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #2   Mar 4, 2008 5:58 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hi Venson:

Gary Moore [and his partner Derwood Kirby] advertised HOOVER vacuums for many years on TV starting in the 50's and through the 60's.  If I recall correctly, the very first HOOVER was the model 29 [maroon] in the early 50's.  Television and TV channels were in their infancy in the USA.  Not much available to watch for years and most times the TV sat unused.  Gary Moore was probably the first TV show MC with a sense of humor.

Carmine D.

It all goes full circle.  The 50's had three channels with not much to watch  and now in 2008 with 300 channels of nothing to watch.
Venson

Reply #3   Mar 4, 2008 10:23 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
It all goes full circle.  The 50's had three channels with not much to watch  and now in 2008 with 300 channels of nothing to watch.

Hi Hardsell,

Maybe . . . but what about Sid Caesar's Show of Shows, I Love Lucy and I Married Joan, Alfred Hitchcock Presents?  What about Ernie Kovacs and Steve Allen -- and there's Ed Sullivan?  Suliivan gave clods like me and my grandad exposure to everything from dancing elephants and Topo Gigio to grand opera stars.  He presented comedians, Mort Sahl and Sam Levison as examples, who could kill an audience and not have not have to drop a single obscenity to get a laugh. Not an absolute, but most of the greats in the entertainment world, from Lena Horne to the Beatles, walked across Sullivan's stage at one time or another.  But that's the past 'tis true -- when there was no Brittany Spears and no MTV.

I too shell out cash to a cable service that provides me with umteen channels of which there are only about five that I like and watch.  My best comparison is the wasteland I feel I'm in when I walk the aisle of the big box stores.  Same deal -- no sense of craft, no sense of art, no sense of worth in the money spent.

Venson

This message was modified Mar 4, 2008 by Venson
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42