Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Something I did not know . . .

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Venson

Something I did not know . . .
Original Message   Feb 3, 2008 6:20 am
Hi,

An invention that has impressed me much -- and saved me some money too -- is the compact flourescent bulb.  I'm crazy about them and I use them everywhere in my place. However, I was not aware that they contain mercury which is considered hazardous.  Attached is a link to an article that strongly advises not using your vacuum to suck the debris should one of these bulbs break.  It claims you may well disperse mercury into the air in your home environment. 

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?articleId=4485da62-050d-4d02-96e2-331e8a58e596&headline=New+rule+for+new+light+bulbs

Instructions for careful clean-up are included in the article.

Here's to your good health,

Venson

This message was modified Feb 3, 2008 by Venson
Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Something I did not know . . .
Reply #1   Feb 3, 2008 7:33 am
Hello Venson:

I too like you do also.  For several years.  Not had one to replace yet!   Although I have replaced the conventional flourescent light bulbs in my hous eand garage after a little more than one year.  My dear Wife does not care for them [CFB].  Not as bright, she says.

If Congress has its way the CFB will be mandated for home use in several years.  The 'dark side' is the disposal [due to the Mercury] which some say will cost as much as the anticipated energy savings, if not more. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Feb 3, 2008 by CarmineD
Vernon

Reply #2   Feb 3, 2008 10:23 am
Hi Carmine and Venson
I do believe that in the Province of Ontario, they have already legislated the demise of the incandescent bulb.  If my memory is correct,
I believe around 2010 the regular light bulb will not be sold in that province.  (would have to check the exact date)  It's real comforting
to know that something that is supposedly sooo good for the environment contains toxic mercury.  Carmine, I agree with your wife
on the lighting with the CFB.  Not only do I find the lighting not to be as good, but rather hard on the eyes as well. 

Vernon
Trilobite

Reply #3   Feb 3, 2008 11:28 am
I found that too, that the light was harsh, coloured fabrics took on a different hue under that light, especially when they came out at first in the late eighties.

I gather that today's versions are better balanced in terms of light spectrum output, more compact than they used to be and a lighter weight.

But, they still will never replace all light fittings.

Anyway, whatever happened to those super-efficient led bulbs they were talking about years ago; haven't they perfected the technology yet?

Venson

Reply #4   Feb 3, 2008 1:02 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Venson:

I too like you do also.  For several years.  Not had one to replace yet!   Although I have replaced the conventional flourescent light bulbs in my hous eand garage after a little more than one year.  My dear Wife does not care for them [CFB].  Not as bright, she says.

If Congress has its way the CFB will be mandated for home use in several years.  The 'dark side' is the disposal [due to the Mercury] which some say will cost as much as the anticipated energy savings, if not more. 

Carmine D.

Hi,

Consolidated Edison has become like an arch enemy.  It seems it wants another dollar every time I hit a lamp switch here.  Also, I am not a great conservationist so lights often can be found on when quite possibly not necessary yet I've been amazed at the drop in my monthly electric bill.  To that I say, Whoopee!

The compact flourscents do have some drawbacks but come in claimed lumen delivery comparable to 75 and even 100 watt incandesent bulbs.  The trade-offs aren't that bad in regard to the savings and, yes indeed, I have far less occasion to change bulbs. 

In regard to the bigger issue, I did not do much reading up on these bulbs when they began to come to market.  Thus, trusting soul that I am, since they were out there for use I'd expected pertinent agencies as regard the environment and health had had some oversight re the bulbs' entry into the American market.  Well -- you know what they say about people who assume.  I get the dim bulb award on this one but think I am probably not the sole winner.  Many consumers besides myself are prone to believe that product in the market place may automatically be deemed to be "safe" due to the constant bandying about of names of agencies that  the folk handling the daily news tell us are in place for our protection.  I just hope an effective disposal solution that's simple and easy for everyone is developed. 

I believe that they'll work out other kinks before too long but by then  I'll probably look better with the lights off anyway.

Best,

Venson

This message was modified Feb 3, 2008 by Venson
Motorhead

Reply #5   Feb 3, 2008 9:33 pm
Hi Venson,

Excellent post, another avid compact fluorescent user here as well.  Being a fan of "old-school", I was not too thrilled about CFLs when they first started coming onto the scene and stuck to incandescents for a while, having experienced the circular "semi-compact" fluorescents that had a horrendously short life and took a while to come on.  Now I have them in the majority of fixtures here.  It seems the technology is being perfected to where they can put out a decent amount of light and have a long life at the same time.  Two of my table lamps still have the original CFLs in them from 2003, when I bought the lamps, and show no indication of going out.   One of my overhead ceiling fans, purchased at the same time, does require incandescent bulbs due to the dimmer setup it has (remote control "soft-on").  I've tried CFLs in that and it didn't seem to take kindly to them; the bulbs themselves had a strange flicker not present in any other fixture.

Other than that, another ceiling fan, and a small desk lamp, they're everywhere.  My main complaint, though, as it has always been, is the fact that CFLs do take a few minutes to get up to full brightness, especially if the room is cold.  If someone can make one that delivers full brightness the moment you flip the switch, that will be a winner and even the incandescent diehards will be "converted", so to speak.

-MH
Motorhead

Reply #6   Feb 3, 2008 10:01 pm
And of course when the incandescent finally goes by the wayside, I hope the bayonet-style appliance bulb doesn't go with it...
CarmineD

Reply #7   Feb 4, 2008 7:42 am
Hello Venson, et al:

Here in Las Vegas, the local utility had a Super Bowl commercial for the CFL bulb.  Quick and well done.  Nevada Power put an image of the CFL bulb on the screen and a voice over said:  Call or write for more information on saving energy and money.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Feb 4, 2008 by CarmineD
Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42