Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Dyson's 'Baby' launched

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
M00seUK

Dyson's 'Baby' launched
Original Message   Jan 17, 2008 3:59 pm
Replies: 66 - 75 of 85Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
HARDSELL

Re: Dyson's 'Baby' launched
Reply #66   Jul 14, 2008 8:49 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hey Mr. DIB's:

I like that but prefer:  Hey, Carmine D. Vacuum Man.  Now you're talking physics and chemistry combined! 

It's always funny to read dyson fans' posts.  It's as tho the vacuum industry was in the dark ages until dyson suddenly appeared and rescued it.  Not quite.  Not even close.  In fact just the contrary.  

Dyson has a rough road to hoe.  With the competition like HOOVER, BISSELL, DIRT DEVIL {and yes even EUREKA} copying it and selling for less, dyson with its high prices is destined for extinction.  Especially in a deep recession and down global market with soaring oil prices.

One quote from dualcyclone/motor [don't know which] that I agree with [surprise, surprise] is this: Consumers don't remember who did it first, they remember who copied the best and sold it for less. 

Carmine D.

Do I understand you?  Vacuums have basically been the same for 50 or more years.  Maybe a few color changes here and there.  Dyson has now been copied by almost all manufacturers and yet Dyson did nothing to change the industry.  Why didn't they just continue with bags that clogs and cause suction loss if Dyson didn't get the industry off it's ashes.

No doubt Dyson will have to change it's pricing to remain competetive with today's economy, however that is not justivication to imply that Dyson has not revolutionized the vacuum industry.  Your responses are as asinine as usual.

CarmineD

Reply #67   Jul 15, 2008 7:04 am
DysonInventsBig wrote:

Hey Carmine D., Vacuum Man,

Dyson and Dyson alone upped the game of vacuum manufacturing, no brag, just factual history.     DIB

Hey DIBster:

Perhaps in the UK, I might partially agree.  Tho the dyson market share declines tell me otherwise.  Dyson competition has gained ground in the UK over the last 4 years and brands will probably surpass dyson's annual share of 28 percent in 2007, if not already. 

In the USA, I can't agree with you on any level.  Not with 10 percent of annual vacuum sales in units [at best and declining].  History is too recent to prove your statement accurate.  Time alone will tell.  If dyson doesn't succumb to the USA industry stalwarts like others have before [Fantom].   A fad that came and went.

Interestingly, in years past dyson sales results were posted here quarterly, semi-annually, and annually.  No more.  What happened?  An indication vacuum history is repeating itself [Fantom].

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jul 15, 2008 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #68   Jul 15, 2008 7:10 am
dusty wrote:
It's called the Old Boys Club and sadly, every industry has it.

Dusty

Hey Duster Man:

It's called the "good old boy's club."  Also known as the experienced, seasoned, been there done that veterans of the industry.  I call us:  "The Old Guard."  There's a saying that youngins like you in the industry should heed:  What you are, we once were, what we are, you'll soon be. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #69   Jul 15, 2008 7:15 am
HARDSELL wrote:
Do I understand you?  Vacuums have basically been the same for 50 or more years.  Maybe a few color changes here and there.  Dyson has now been copied by almost all manufacturers and yet Dyson did nothing to change the industry.  Why didn't they just continue with bags that clogs and cause suction loss if Dyson didn't get the industry off it's ashes.

No doubt Dyson will have to change it's pricing to remain competetive with today's economy, however that is not justivication to imply that Dyson has not revolutionized the vacuum industry.  Your responses are as asinine as usual.

Hey My main Man HS:

Of course not.  The vacuum industry has evolved over the last 100 years just fine without dyson and after dyson is long gone.  Sure, vacuum brands copy a $500 plus vacuum and sell it for $120 [low end vacuum prices and models].  It's called smart marketing and crushing your competition.  All industry companies do it.  Don't flatter yourself dyson fans.

It may be too late for dyson to drop prices and survive in the big box store venue.  Why?  Dyson gave too much time to its competitors to copy and sell better vacuums [dyson copies] for much less.  

Dyson's path of least resistance [read:  keep from competing against itself]  is to keep prices in the moderate to high range [$300-$400] and maintain a niche vacuum market.  Not a bad approach. 

Certainly, dyson has not achieved/will not achieve the predominant USA vacuum market share [in units] that many of its fans predicted years ago.  Not with 10 percent and falling.  Not with fair to middlin ratings from the pros and industry watchers.  And certainly not with its filter foibles and claims.  All of which add support to the Old Guard's long standing criticism of Mr. Dyson and his vacuums.

Dusty is right on the money.  Dyson's claim to fame in the vacuum industry is that it facilitated today's vacuum consumers to look at $500 plus vacuums without getting sticker shock.  For that, the Old Guard owes dyson a note of thanks and gratitude. 

Carmine D.

dusty

Reply #70   Jul 15, 2008 10:09 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hey Duster Man:

It's called the "good old boy's club."  Also known as the experienced, seasoned, been there done that veterans of the industry.  I call us:  "The Old Guard."  There's a saying that youngins like you in the industry should heed:  What you are, we once were, what we are, you'll soon be. 

Carmine D.

The world changes, industry changes, the old guard remains stuck in the past. (I'm generalizing here btw, not taking a shot at you).  The old guard in the auto industry claimed Japan could never make a push into the US with their little cars.  They were wrong and it took decades for them to recover. Dyson has revolutionized the vacuum industry.  Bagless is now the standard for the biggest manufacturers in the industry.  They have all followed Dysons lead. Dyson themselves will now have to change to keep up with the competition that is quickly catching up with them.  I suspect they will but I feel they still have time.  As good as the new Hoover bagless or Bissell bagless may be, consumers will remember the crappy bagless versions of these products they've had in the past.  Those consumers, who want a bagless that works will still step up to Dyson.  It's something we see on a consistant basis. Once again it was the old guard that was slow to react to something new (bagless) and once again it has taken years to try and catch up.

Dusty
CarmineD

Reply #71   Jul 15, 2008 1:01 pm
Dusty:

HOOVER and BISSELL caught up with dyson [on bagless filtration] as quick as dyson caught up with the industry standard for its brush rolls.  Bagged remains [and more than likely continue] the industry standard for the top tier uprights and canns.  Household users who went with the high price bagless fad don't like to dump daily.  [Even dysons are messy and a major nuisance to dump].  Bagless will become the standard for specialty cleaners [handvacs, sticks] and commercial use. 

I suspect as the cheaper copies give dyson a run for its money at the big box stores [as they are already], and with the recessionary world economies, especially in the housing markets, dyson will look to the commercial vacuum market with its expensive bagless.  It will be dyson's way to sure up lagging home vacuum sales.  Dyson will do well there IMHO, IF:  One, dyson increases the dirt bin capacity; and Two: dyson  maintains its product reliability rating by Consumer Reports. 

Carmine D.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #72   Jul 15, 2008 3:15 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Dusty:

HOOVER and BISSELL caught up with dyson [on bagless filtration] as quick as dyson caught up with the industry standard for its brush rolls.  Bagged remains [and more than likely continue] the industry standard for the top tier uprights and canns.  Household users who went with the high price bagless fad don't like to dump daily.  [Even dysons are messy and a major nuisance to dump].  Bagless will become the standard for specialty cleaners [handvacs, sticks] and commercial use. 

I suspect as the cheaper copies give dyson a run for its money at the big box stores [as they are already], and with the recessionary world economies, especially in the housing markets, dyson will look to the commercial vacuum market with its expensive bagless.  It will be dyson's way to sure up lagging home vacuum sales.  Dyson will do well there IMHO, IF:  One, dyson increases the dirt bin capacity; and Two: dyson  maintains its product reliability rating by Consumer Reports. 

Carmine D.

Hey Carmine,

Mr. Dyson, and the great majority of vacuum manufacturers use brushrolls that date back 100 years or so, are in the public domain and who's inventors have long deceased.

Hoover and Bissell simply reversed engineered a very much alive inventor/s inventions - James Dyson and his teams 3 to 4 year old technologies, did it legally, not better. - Although I will give Hoover and Bissell the nod for slothfulness.        DIB

This message was modified Jul 15, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

HARDSELL

Reply #73   Jul 15, 2008 7:33 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Dusty:

Carmine D.

I'll bet you claimed that the electric light bulb would never replace the kerosene lantern and that the commode was just a fad and everyone would go back to the out house.
CarmineD

Reply #74   Jul 16, 2008 7:08 am
Hello guys:

Unfortunately in one regard, Mr. Dyson, and his new age vacuum industry, did not profit from the errors made in the auto industry by the Old Guard.  He took a page right from the GM playbook which was better left unturned.

In its quest to capture market share GM produced too many models on the same theme.  Confused many buyers and more importantly as GM admits today competed against itself for sales of vehicles.

Sound familiar? 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jul 16, 2008 by CarmineD
dusty

Reply #75   Jul 16, 2008 10:29 am
CarmineD wrote:
In its quest to capture market share GM produced too many models on the same theme.  Confused many buyers and more importantly as GM admits today competed against itself for sales of vehicles.

Sounds more like Hoover / Dirt Devil  or Eureka rather than Dyson. Eureka show 5 different Captures on their web page, all different colors and only a few different features between them.  On top of that you can by Eureka's Altima and Maxima bagless models too.  If that's not competing against yourself I don't know what is.

Dusty
Replies: 66 - 75 of 85Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42