Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > A Halo-like UVC handheld vacuum for your bed...

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
DysonInventsBig

A Halo-like UVC handheld vacuum for your bed...
Original Message   Jan 14, 2008 3:06 pm

"Raycop Anti-Allergy Bed Vac"

Click here.

This message was modified Jan 14, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

Replies: 7 - 16 of 16Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
DysonInventsBig

Re: A Halo-like UVC handheld vacuum for your bed...
Reply #7   Jan 15, 2008 4:07 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi Motorhead and DIB

Thanks for the news.  To say the least, where there's a will there's a way.  Kirby had to agree to licensing for  these diverse models didn't it?  I wonder if there were limits set.  One of the links mentioned the cleaner being self-propelled but did not suggest the use of the vacuum on rugs -- or at least I didn't notice -- just on matresses.  The online literature of one even made mention of  uniforms and special solutions to use along with the machine. 

DIB, is the Ray Cop rechargable or corded? 

Thanks,

Venson

Venson,

Licensing/patenting:  The little I know of patents… “Broad patents” typically, not “narrow patents” give inventors the greater protection.  Manufactures must pay for patents in whatever country they want protection in (giving them the legal right to sue).        regards, DIB

Trebor

Reply #8   Jan 17, 2009 9:51 pm
The HygeniTech is sold for, (I'm not kidding, I looked into it once) $9,000! They sell it on the premise that they do not charge royalties or franchise fees, and offer free promotional materials. It basically is a Kirby mattress demo. You use a cloth dirt meter, take some of the material collected and test it with a drop of chemical substance. The deeper the color (light pink to deep orange red) the worse the contamination. There is another brand called Allerex, same basic concept. The Kirby is the unit of choice because of power, weight, and power transmission. NOTHING beats a Kirby on a mattress (for cleaning that is). The unit you mention is smaller, and the promotional blurb speaks of a 'vibrating pad' and not a brush roll. The Hygenitech doesn't call it a brushroll, it says the unit cleans with suction and 'high frequency pulsating waves! I sold a lot of Kirbys at that part of the demo. It is referred to as 'closing her on the mattress'
CarmineD

Reply #9   Jan 18, 2009 9:00 am
Trebor wrote:
NOTHING beats a Kirby on a mattress (for cleaning that is). The unit you mention is smaller, and the promotional blurb speaks of a 'vibrating pad' and not a brush roll. The Hygenitech doesn't call it a brushroll, it says the unit cleans with suction and 'high frequency pulsating waves! I sold a lot of Kirbys at that part of the demo. It is referred to as 'closing her on the mattress'

Hi Trebor:

Nice to see/hear that the vacuum industry and its professionals still have a sense of humor.

Carmine D.

Trebor

Reply #10   Jan 18, 2009 4:59 pm
Carmine,

As you no doubt already know, while lacking a sense of humor may permit survival, to thrive without one is impossible!

This message was modified Jan 19, 2009 by Trebor
CarmineD

Reply #11   Jan 18, 2009 7:54 pm
Definitely true for me.  I have to be laughing to enjoy living.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #12   May 17, 2009 7:23 am
Looks like the infamous bed bug brigade is back in full force in the USA.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/mcclatchy/20090515/sc_mcclatchy/3234191_1

http://health.yahoo.com/sleep-living/bedbugs/healthwise--za1160.html

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=how+to+get+rid+of+bedbugs&fr=fp-today&cs=bz&sado=1

Carmine D.

This message was modified May 17, 2009 by CarmineD
Venson

Reply #13   May 17, 2009 11:30 am
Hi Carmine,

UV devices will not prevail against that kind of insect. Bedbugs, in comparison, are much larger than dust mites and also hide within in the recesses of bed frames, woodwork joints and mattress seams. A heavy and thorough insecticide application is usually required.

The following link contains a thorough coverage of bedbugs and toward the end of the article gives information as to how infestations may begin which may or may not be helpful preventionwise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bedbug

Best,

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #14   May 18, 2009 7:05 am
Thanks Venson, excellent article on bedbugs.  Apparently their population has grown over 500 percent in the USA in recent years.  And like you said they are visible to the human eye: Adults grow to 4–5 mm (1/8th – 3/16th of an inch) including eggs which are 1 mm or the equivalent of 2 grains of salt.  It was thought that DDT ended them in the USA over 50 years ago but a new strain is resistant to DDT.  And treatment for bites are steroids and topical hydrocortisone creams.  Yuk!  Pays to keep a clean frequently vacuumed home to ensure a healthy home, including the bedrooms and mattresses, which are often overlooked.

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #15   May 18, 2009 1:35 pm
CarmineD wrote:
. . . It was thought that DDT ended them in the USA over 50 years ago but a new strain is resistant to DDT. . .

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine,

I don't know if the proper term is mutation but it seems to be a problem all round these days. Way, way back --two centuries to be exact -- when I was in junior high a science taught us that when you kill of just about anything from houseflies to bacteria that there will always be x-amount of survivors that will breed a more resistant strain.

This is the reason for many of the so-called super-infections acquired during hospital stays. DDT, hexachloriphine, and some antibiotics, etc., were quickly pressed into to use only to be later discovered to not only be bad for germs and vermin but people too.

Keeping a tidy house is of course very important but there are those everyday instances of inadvertant susceptibility as we go about our business out there in the world.

I can't count the times when I've probably broadcasted my own germs on a crowded subway when I've had to go do a days work when ill. There are lots of coughers, sneezers and carriers around.

Venson
vacmanuk

Reply #16   May 31, 2009 7:40 pm
Here in the UK the Raycorp is made by Ewbank. I tried lifting it one day in a shop and was outraged; really heavy for a hand held. I've put my Vax/Dynammite model on the bed and was shocked at the amount of dirt that came off ther mattress however; one reason alone to why I keep this noisy little upright!
Replies: 7 - 16 of 16Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42