Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
kelizabeth

sand
Original Message   Jan 7, 2008 9:25 pm
I am trying to help my son's preschool (we're a co-op) select the best vacuum.  Everyday lots and lots and lots of sand makes its way into our classroom.   The sand has laid to rest an expensive Oreck in less than a year and a lower priced bagless clocks its demise at 18 months.  I lent them my miele canister for a couple of days to see if the teachers like it.  Is a canister the best and if so which one?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 
Replies: 1 - 10 of 15NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: sand
Reply #1   Jan 7, 2008 10:17 pm
You need a crash course in vacuum cleaners 101.  The best place to acquire a broad range of vacuum cleaner information in a short period of time is the Consumer Reports Web Site, which you can find advertised on the side banners of this Forum.  It shouldn't take long.  I suggest you view the CR vacuum videos too which I believe are a series of 6-8 quickies that run a total of 25 minutes.  After you do, you should return to the Forum and let us know what questions you may have about vacuum cleaner purchases, do's and don'ts. 

It will assist others to answer if you provide the cleaning requirements of the pre-school co-op and the budget for the vacuum purchase.  Miele is an excellent vacuum.  One of the best made and sold on the market today.  You are probably the best reference source for your co-op to provide a recommendation for a Miele canister with its pros and cons. 

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #2   Jan 8, 2008 12:21 am
Hi kelizabeth,

About what size is your pre-school and what's on the floor?  If the floor area is of considerable size and bare or covered with low, dense pile carpet -- basically the only carpet solution in this case -- a more commercially oriented canister would be the deal.  The name that comes to mind for me is Nilsfisk.  The U.S. branch of the company provides at least two quiet running canisters, the GM 80 and the GD 930, that offer generous bag size.  Either should be great for bare floors and low pile carpet without aid of a power nozzle. Due to the impressive dust capacity you can can clean a good while before a bag change is called for.  That might also prove a boon as the vacuum could also be used for cleaning tasks in other common areas thus making the purchase even more worthwhile.  I've owned the GS 80 and now own the GS 90 -- now out of manufacture -- and can highly praise the brand by way of hands-on experience.

I also suggest these two canisters as they are mostly metal, pretty durable yet not burdensome to carry when necessary.  Replacements parts if needed are usually just a phone call away.  I'd prefer Nilfisk over the usual hosehold vacuum, even Miele which is certainly good  but meant for regular housekeeping. I've owned.  The two links below will give you opportunity to get a general idea of what either model is like.

GM 80 -- http://www.nilfiskcfm.com/ProductDetail.aspx?m=1

GD 930 -- http://www.nilfiskcfm.com/ProductDetail.aspx?m=15

Nilfisk, like Miele, can be pricey.  If at some point you're inclined to buy this brand, or any other brand for that matter, be sure run a search for the model you have in mind at www.pricegrabber.com. It offers an opportunity to seek out best price.

Hope that helps,

Venson

kelizabeth

Reply #3   Jan 8, 2008 12:48 am
I greatly appreciate the information.  I've been searching the internet for awhile trying to figure out the answer to our dilemma with very little luck   Thankfully, I somehow I stumbled on to this website.  I am going to take the advice of both responders.  Again, thank you very much.
Venson

Reply #4   Jan 8, 2008 9:29 am
kelizabeth,

If nothing else, we aim to please.  You're very welcome and good luck.

Regards,

Venson

mole

Reply #5   Jan 8, 2008 9:37 am
Hi,all vacuums require service and repairs,some after a very short time,and a few a little longer,your application is considered a commercial setting with more than likely more than 1 person using the machine,I would highly reccomend you deal with a professional floorcare person/establishmet. Find a shop that has has an outstanding repair and service reputation,Anyone can sell cleaning machines,it takes talent to repair them............

MOLE

CarmineD

Reply #6   Jan 8, 2008 11:54 am
Just a follow up along the same line as Mole and Venson:  Vacuum manufacturers will not honor their warranty on vacuums used in the type of cleaning environment as yours, which is not considered domestic and/or household use.  The manufacturer's product specifications must specifically say it is made for commercial usage.  You would be are out-of-luck for a warranty with most if not all the big-box retail store vacuum makes and models.

Carmine D.

Moderator Mike_W

"There is no BEST or PERFECT vacuum cleaner"

"Take care of your vacuum, then your vacuum will take care of you"

Reply #7   Jan 8, 2008 12:59 pm
You should stay away from the residential machines, because they are not built for what you want it for.  Look to a good commercial vacuum cleaner that will handle sand better.  Using a suction-only canister vacuum cleaner is not going to pick up the sand from the carpeting like an upright.  There are even some uprights that will perform better at this task than other uprights.

Look to the Royal Commercial upright like the 1028Z.  It is lite, performs very well for your situation and is constructed to hold up better in the school environment.  The second choice would be a Sanitaire upright like the SC886.  It will perform well.  This vacuum uses a "Quick Kleen" system where the bottom fan chamber can be removed by removing two screws-very easy.  The fan can also be removed easily.  Sand will tend to do more damage to this plastic, but it can be replaced in a few minutes.

Lastly, look at the Koblenz upright.  These uprights will look similar to the Sanitaire and are built to handle the school classrooms.

You want something that will hold up well, that will have little as possible downtime.
Motorhead

Reply #8   Jan 8, 2008 3:31 pm
I second Venson's suggestion of the Nilfisk canister, GREAT machine.  I'm going to add that a Windsor upright would also be a fine choice.  Both the Nilfisk and Windsor are fairly pricey machines, but the quality is outstanding. 

Now if you cannot get either of those, my opinion would be to stick to a clean-air (where the dirt does *not* pass through the fan) commercial upright that uses disposable bags.  There are many out there at different (reasonable) price ranges; Panasonic, Simplicity, and Riccar commercials to name a few.  Something bagless or direct-air (where the dirt does pass through the fan) would definitely not be a good choice if the machine is going to be picking up large amounts of sand.  While the Sanitaire, Koblenz, and Royal uprights are great machines, they are direct-air so they would not be good in your situation.  While it is true that the Royal has a metal fan (and has been "tested" on various objects including sand), the sand will still put wear on the fan and fan chamber over a period of time.  No doubt that is what killed your Oreck after 18 months.
Moderator Mike_W

"There is no BEST or PERFECT vacuum cleaner"

"Take care of your vacuum, then your vacuum will take care of you"

Reply #9   Jan 8, 2008 5:05 pm
Reggie;

The above mentioned machines that I listed will do just fine.  The worst one will be the Sanitaire, but like I said, it can be repaired quickly and inexpensively.  The clean air uprights are not going do as well as the "fan-first" uprights w/sand.  The original poster is concerned w/sand.

I believe that the Nilfisk is not needed in this situation.  It is too expensive for a Co-op.  Replacement parts/supplies are expensive also. 

This message was modified Jan 8, 2008 by Mike_W
CarmineD

Reply #10   Jan 9, 2008 7:00 am
SInce we seem to be expressing a divergence of opinions on vacuum recommendations, I'd like to provide mine too. 

I live in the desert.  Lots and lots of sand.  All over.  I change air cleaners in my vehicles every 3 months and they are garaged. 

I have an English yellow lab who sheds year round.  Two grand daughters just one mile away ages 1 and 3.  and they visit often.  My home is a little more than 1500 square feet with 75% ceramic tile floor and 25 % wool carpet.  In April 2007, I bought an ORECK XL Classic, at the request of my dear Wife.  It performs so well, I gifted one to my daughter (over 3000 square feet home) and Mother-in-law.  Daughter lives in the desert too. 

We all use and love the ORECK's.  In the time that I've owned the ORECK, I replaced the belt after 8 months and it's on the 3rd paper bag.   The ORECK is a daily user in my home.  I also own and use a HOOVER WT Supreme.  The HOOVER does a better job on the carpets for cleaning and grooming than the ORECK.  But ORECK is a respectable second.  ORECK has the added benefit of going easily from the floors to carpets to area rugs quickly and easily.  And the ORECK doesn't have/need a brush roll shut off to do it.

Carmine D. 

This message was modified Jan 9, 2008 by CarmineD
Replies: 1 - 10 of 15NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42