Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Help - Terminology Question

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
ArtShapiro

Help - Terminology Question
Original Message   Dec 31, 2007 1:36 pm
This is with respect to a Rainbow if it matters.  Can someone tell me the name of the bent metal tube attached to the hose?  It connects the hose to the two-section wand holding various attachments for non-power head vacuuming.  Mine has finally corroded through after 29 years of use - probably vacuuming up liquids once in a while hasn't helped the longevity - and I'd like to call it the right thing when I go to purchase a replacement.

Thanks for any input.

Art
Replies: 1 - 10 of 10View as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Help - Terminology Question
Reply #1   Dec 31, 2007 4:49 pm
Hello Art:

That's an easy question.  These are called hose "ends" and/or "fittings."  And hoses have 2 ends/fittings regardless of the brand.  One is called the machine end/fitting because it fits into the vacuum cleaner.  The other, which you asked about, is called the attachment/tool end/fitting because it fits into the wands and attachments.

Hope that is of assistance.

HAPPY NEW YEAR

Carmine D.

ArtShapiro

Reply #2   Dec 31, 2007 9:58 pm
Much appreciated as always, Carmine; thanks!

And H.N.Y. to you as well.

Art
Moderator Mike_W

"There is no BEST or PERFECT vacuum cleaner"

"Take care of your vacuum, then your vacuum will take care of you"

Reply #3   Jan 2, 2008 11:48 am
The "bent metal tube" on the Rainbow is called a curved wand.  The other wands are called upper wand, then the lower wand.  Lastly, there is the straight power nozzle wand for those models w/ the power nozzle.

There should be no problem telling a vac shop what you are looking for if they know of a Rainbow.  Just describe it.  The wand must be specific to a Rainbow though.
Motorhead

Reply #4   Jan 2, 2008 12:40 pm
Mike_W wrote:
The "bent metal tube" on the Rainbow is called a curved wand.  The other wands are called upper wand, then the lower wand.  Lastly, there is the straight power nozzle wand for those models w/ the power nozzle.

There should be no problem telling a vac shop what you are looking for if they know of a Rainbow.  Just describe it.  The wand must be specific to a Rainbow though.

Hi Mike, wouldn't the curved wand you're referring to be the curved wand that attaches to the bare floor tool and not the curved hose end?  I have a D4 with this setup and I believe the D2/D3/SE do as well, although I'm not sure how the E-series floor tool attaches.

Hi Art, since you mentioned yours is 29 years old, do you have a D2 chrome dome by any chance?  I wonder if it would be better just to replace the hose entirely?  IIRC a non-electric Rainbow hose shouldn't be too much...

-MH
This message was modified Jan 2, 2008 by Motorhead
mole

Reply #5   Jan 2, 2008 12:59 pm
From looking at Arts post it sounds like he's talking about the curved hose end on the end of the hose,Is there a suction reducer sleeve on it.

MOLE

Moderator Mike_W

Reply #6   Jan 2, 2008 5:21 pm
Motorhead wrote:
Hi Mike, wouldn't the curved wand you're referring to be the curved wand that attaches to the bare floor tool and not the curved hose end?  I have a D4 with this setup and I believe the D2/D3/SE do as well, although I'm not sure how the E-series floor tool attaches.

-MH

We are discussing Rexair Rainbow.  They use three wands on all of their machines(for suction-only use).  The curved wand, straight wand(upper) and lower wall and floor brush wand.  Rexair does not need to call the lower wand curved, because they have always used a curved lower wand.  There is no straight lower wand for Rainbows.

The curved wand is called a wand,because it can be removed by the customer.  The same is true of Kirby's curved wand.

If I am finding a part for you, I must think "Rainbow" curved wand and not Eureka, Kenmore, etc. 
CarmineD

Reply #7   Jan 2, 2008 8:33 pm
Hello Mike W:

Did you consider the possibility that Art's particular Rainbow/Rexair hose assembly is an aftermarket replacement?  And, not original manufacturer equipment.

Hello Mole:

I read Art's post the same way as you apparently read it:  With the curved hose end (for the tools) affixed to the hose and not removable like an extension wand.

Thanks,

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 2, 2008 by CarmineD
ArtShapiro

Reply #8   Jan 3, 2008 1:41 am
Wow - this is getting complicated!  Yeah, it's a chrome-dome D2, circa 1978.  Carmine nailed the part correctly - it's the roughly 16" long "handle" that is permanently part of the hose, although in reality it pulls off with a little bit of force.  It's the part with the rotating ring that exposes a hole to reduce suction when needed.

The hose is actually younger than the machine; less than 20 years ago I had the original hose (6'?) replaced with a 17' guy so I could reach my cathedral ceilings.  But the fittings at both ends are original.

My local shop went out of business several years ago, and I haven't developed any loyalty to another merchant.  I was hoping this was a generic part, not a Rainbow-specific (i.e. big $$$) fitting.

Art
Moderator Mike_W

Reply #9   Jan 3, 2008 6:07 am
ArtShapiro wrote:
This is with respect to a Rainbow if it matters.  

Art

My answer is in regard to the name of the wand  at the end of the Rainbow hose.  Now you are saying that your "vac guy" made a  longer hose for you and you now want a generic part, so Carmine's wording is correct for the new part.  You are looking for a generic curved swivel hose end w/ bleeder sleeve, not made for a Rainbow.  They are very cheap.  You should be able to find one for approx. $10.00 if you shop around. This part is different than a Rainbow curved wand.

I have shared this before, but I have this same piece on a FQ hose, so I can use a Whirlpool-designed power nozzle w/my FQ.  I get much better rug cleaning results compared to the original FQ power nozzle.
This message was modified Jan 3, 2008 by Mike_W
ArtShapiro

Reply #10   Jan 3, 2008 11:05 am
Thanks, everyone - that was enough info to find the correct part from a merchant on eBay.

Art
Replies: 1 - 10 of 10View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42