Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > New Dyson model...any info?

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Motorhead

New Dyson model...any info?
Original Message   Dec 19, 2007 5:53 pm
Apparently there's a new Dyson model that will be launched in February at the VDTA Convention.  I don't know any further specifics on whether or not it's going to be a canister or upright, but apparently all attendees of the show will be able to see it and place their orders.  I wonder if the $899 pricetag will be a detriment to sales, or are Americans willing to pay a premium for superior performance and space-age motor technology?

Has anyone else heard anything yet?  I'm curious to know what it is as I bought the DC21 right when it came out in March.  That and the DC17 are the only ones that impressed me so far, it will be interesting to see how this one is.
This message was modified Dec 19, 2007 by Motorhead
Replies: 112 - 121 of 121Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Motorhead

Re: New Dyson model...any info?
Reply #112   Aug 30, 2008 1:42 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi MH,

I have always wondered how many of the DC16 sold.  I see them on store shelves but can't believe that they selling well as I don't see them as a practical expense -- especially due to the short operation time. 

Does anybody know how long you might run one off your car battery without it being a serious drain on juice?  Better yet, how much is involved in making a vesion that has a built-in voltage adjustment like some electric razors and laptop computers?  A built-in adapter that could handle voltage input between 12v and 220v would make the asking price a little more easy to take.

Best,

Venson

Hi Venson,

I've wondered the same thing, I would think not many.  I wonder if the main buyers of the DC16 are those who want a hand vac for quick pick-ups and want the novelty of owning something with the Dyson name on it, but do not want to shell out $400+ for one of their full-sized cleaners.  That might be one of the reasons for the Issey Miyake special edition version. 

When I'm using the car vac, I don't run it for long periods of time as it really does use power, about 10 minutes at the very most for me which is really all it takes for a good quick cleaning.  It could also be used with the engine running but that would be a major waste. 

I like the idea of the voltage adjustment.  120/240 doesn't involve much as Norelco was doing it with their electric razors in the 1980's.  Not sure what it would take to produce a variable 12-240 switch, can't say I've ever seen one of those before but with this technology there's no reason why it couldn't be done. 

At any rate, I would definitely like to see some improvement to the DC16 in the future.  *Definitely* a corded version, or longer run time on a cordless, however that is accomplished.

-MH
Motorhead

Reply #113   Aug 30, 2008 1:56 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Dyson missed the boat, pardon the pun, with the DC16's operation and marketing.

Recently, I did some work at my daughter's house and made a mess before and after the job was complete.  I took along my 1970 HOOVER Swingette to do the cleaning up before and after.  Tho I would have preferred a hand held non-corded like the DC16 for the tasks.  Not with a 6 minute charge for $150 [straight suction] and $200 [revolving brush]. 

I think dyson missed the market for its hand held: Contractors and home improvement repair persons.  But before the DC16 can survive in this venue, it needs a longer run time.

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine,

I agree with you there, the DC16 would have been a good effective handheld for contractors who need something to pick up drywall dust and other debris in small spaces.  With the cyclones fine dust wouldn't clog the filters like the other contractor-grade cordless handhelds out there (Ryobi, B&D, etc.).  Like you said, a longer run time would definitely be in order.  Possibly even an increase in voltage to provide more power.

But it would also need something else.  Part of the problem I've noticed on the current DC16 is that the dirt container is very small (almost miniscule); there is definitely the potential for some debris to become lodged in the inlet or between the bin and shroud.  Also, while the attachment port is of a decent size, the opening of the flat nozzle is too small for jobsite debris.  Increasing the overall size by 50% would work, in other words beef it up a bit.  It could very well become the second most useful tool next to the cordless drill.  Except for wet pickup, why would anyone need to lug around the big Shop-Vac when they could just reach for the handheld and empty it out when finished? 

-MH
CarmineD

Reply #114   Sep 3, 2008 12:34 pm
CarmineD wrote:

To my knowledge, no USA vacuum maker has ever marketed a car/boat hand held vacuum cleaner using power from the battery, save some specialty models but no name vacuum brands. 

Carmine D.

I recently received an email contradicting my above statement.  ORECK sells an Auto Vac with a 15 foot cord that plugs into the accessory power outlet of the car.  I'm not sure who makes the vacuum for ORECK.  It's rated number 1 by a leading auto journal and is awarded 5 Stars.  It doubles as a flashlight.

http://www.oreck.com/small-home-appliances/xlauto_vac.cfm

I'm also told that it routinely sells for $20 with shipping of $5.45 from ORECK and carries a ONE YR. warranty.

Carmine D.

Motorhead

Reply #115   Sep 3, 2008 9:54 pm
Carmine,

I believe the Oreck auto vac is Douglas (ReadiVac) made, as is the Ironman canister.  Douglas also made the previous incarnation of the Oreck rechargeable and auto hand vac, residential wet/dry vac (no longer produced as I can't find anything on it anymore, the commercial models are of course still around), stick vac (Oreck has since switched to a different type of stick vac different from the Douglas and I can't tell who makes it), and revolving-brush hand vac. 

Douglas also private-labeled some things for Kirby at one point, namely their revolving-brush hand vac (labeled the "Vacuette" just like the early upright) and auto vac.

-MH
This message was modified Sep 3, 2008 by Motorhead
CarmineD

Reply #116   Sep 4, 2008 6:43 am
MH:

I had heard the ORECK-Douglas connection before and you may well be right.

On a related note, it now appears in the wake and aftermath of Hurricane Gustav [just 3 years after Katrina], that ORECK's decision to move out of New Orleans, Louisiana in favor of Cookeville, Tennessee was the right and bright move.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Sep 4, 2008 by CarmineD
Moderator Mike_W

"There is no BEST or PERFECT vacuum cleaner"

"Take care of your vacuum, then your vacuum will take care of you"

Reply #117   Sep 5, 2008 4:35 pm
Motorhead wrote:
Carmine,

I believe the Oreck auto vac is Douglas (ReadiVac) made, as is the Ironman canister.  Douglas also made the previous incarnation of the Oreck rechargeable and auto hand vac, residential wet/dry vac (no longer produced as I can't find anything on it anymore, the commercial models are of course still around), stick vac (Oreck has since switched to a different type of stick vac different from the Douglas and I can't tell who makes it), and revolving-brush hand vac. 

Douglas also private-labeled some things for Kirby at one point, namely their revolving-brush hand vac (labeled the "Vacuette" just like the early upright) and auto vac.

-MH

I do not know if you can say that Douglas "private-labeled" for Kirby when Douglas and Kirby are owned by the same company S&F(owned by Berkshire Hatheway).  Douglas models were also under the Kirby banner like the corded Vacuette, the rechargeable Split Second handvac and the Split Second II, which was a handvac that plugged into your automobile cig lighter.
iMacDaddy

Electrolux UltraOne EL7070, Bissell BigGreen Deep Cleaning Machine

Reply #118   Sep 8, 2008 7:43 pm
Any word on the DC27?
CarmineD

Reply #119   Sep 8, 2008 9:13 pm
iMacDaddy wrote:
Any word on the DC27?

I don't know if there is a connection and/or just a coincidence. 

Local SAM's Club stores are pricing the dyson DC17 Total Clean for $399.  That's a savings/discount of $150 off the regular price for the DC17 of $549.  It beats the routine monthly 20 percent off from Bed Bath & Beyond on the $549 retail of the DC17 which comes to $109 for a price of $440.

The DC17 is not listed on the SAM's Club Web Site for sale.  The only other dyson for sale on the Web Site is the DC18 Slim but the Site says none are available and/or in stock and/or back order.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Sep 8, 2008 by CarmineD
DC18

Dyson, Sebo and Bissell user

Reply #120   Sep 9, 2008 6:59 pm
I take it the DC27 like the DC17 will be for the USA market and no where else?

Anybody any clues or ideas as to what the DC26, DC28 may be?  Wonder of the 'ball' feature will appear on any of them!?

DC18

This message was modified Sep 9, 2008 by DC18
CarmineD

Reply #121   Mar 29, 2009 9:18 am
BEST BUY stores is giving away a DC16 Handheld, straight suction nozzle, with the purchase of a DC25 ball for $549.  No hype and hawk slogans for these models.  Hhhmmm?

Carmine D.

Replies: 112 - 121 of 121Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42