Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Dyson financial results

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
M00seUK

Dyson financial results
Original Message   Nov 4, 2007 7:18 am
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2007/11/04/cndyson104.xml

Results on year to December 2006 :-
  • Profits up 19 per cent to £115m
  • Sales up 9 per cent to £514.7m
  • R&D spend increased, up £20m to £70m
Replies: 15 - 24 of 39Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Dyson financial results
Reply #15   Mar 27, 2008 6:43 pm
Here is a synopsis of dyson sales and profit for 2007 according to a reliable source:

Total sales in dollars: $1 Billion

Net profit after taxes: $64 Million

Increase in sales for 2007 over 2006: 10 percent

Carmine D.

This message was modified Mar 27, 2008 by CarmineD
HARDSELL

Reply #16   Mar 27, 2008 7:52 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Here is a synopsis of dyson sales and profit for 2007 according to a reliable source:

Total sales in dollars: $1 Billion

Net profit after taxes: $64 Million

Increase in sales for 2007 over 2006: 10 percent

Carmine D.

I believe you rang the death knell for Dyson by 2007.  What happened?
CarmineD

Reply #17   Mar 28, 2008 6:59 am
HARDSELL wrote:
I believe you rang the death knell for Dyson by 2007.  What happened?

Hello HARDSELL:

Good question.  If the 2007 results I posted are valid [I believe the source is very reliable], it appears there are erroneous/contradictory financial results and sales data reported here recently for dyson.  What happened?  Is the difference the phenomenon of inventory on hand vice actual sales to customers?  Seems like a very high inventory on hand which is entirely possible seeing DC07,14 and 15 models still advertised and sold. But I sincerely doubt, since dyson counts shipments to retailers as sales [which would include end of year dyson retailers' inventory on hand and unsold].   

It appears from the data I posted that the 2 Million dyson units [approximately] are worldwide and not in the USA, as previously reported.  [At $1B in sales using an average sale price per dyson vacuum of $500 the result is 2 million].  Don't know if the $140,000 in AirBlade sales are included in the $1B sales amount.  Factoring in the percent of USA sales only, then the dyson vacuum market share in the USA [by units] is reduced from the 10 percent recently posted [according to NPD we were told], to probably 4-5 percent of total unit sales for 2007 in the USA.  That's seems reasonable and unimpressive unless quoted in dollar terms.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Mar 28, 2008 by CarmineD
HARDSELL

Reply #18   Mar 28, 2008 9:24 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hello HARDSELL:

Good question.  If the 2007 results I posted are valid [I believe the source is very reliable], it appears there are erroneous/contradictory financial results and sales data reported here recently for dyson.  What happened?  Is the difference the phenomenon of inventory on hand vice actual sales to customers?  Seems like a very high inventory on hand which is entirely possible seeing DC07,14 and 15 models still advertised and sold. But I sincerely doubt, since dyson counts shipments to retailers as sales [which would include end of year dyson retailers' inventory on hand and unsold].   

It appears from the data I posted that the 2 Million dyson units [approximately] are worldwide and not in the USA, as previously reported.  [At $1B in sales using an average sale price per dyson vacuum of $500 the result is 2 million].  Don't know if the $140,000 in AirBlade sales are included in the $1B sales amount.  Factoring in the percent of USA sales only, then the dyson vacuum market share in the USA [by units] is reduced from the 10 percent recently posted [according to NPD we were told], to probably 4-5 percent of total unit sales for 2007 in the USA.  That's seems reasonable and unimpressive unless quoted in dollar terms.

Carmine D.

Uninpressive as far as units sold.  Coulld it be that the standard measure of counting units sold as success is out dated.  Profits are impressive and more important.  I thought you might have learned that when Hoover folded. 

CarmineD

Reply #19   Mar 28, 2008 1:05 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
Uninpressive as far as units sold.  Coulld it be that the standard measure of counting units sold as success is out dated.  Profits are impressive and more important.  I thought you might have learned that when Hoover folded. 

Well HARDSELL, not sure about all that you say.  Doing the math, jaydee is netting $32 profit per dyson sold.  Seems to me that $50 retail mark up on the new HOOVER WT is looking better by at least $16 more per vacuum. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #20   Mar 28, 2008 1:42 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello HARDSELL:

Carmine D.

The reason for the difference is wholesale and retail.  My calculation is based on retail sales.  Dyson's data are based on wholesale prices to retailers.  The 2 Million dyson units sold in the USA [as told per the NPD] is based on wholesale prices to retailers not retail prices to customers.  What does that mean?  It means a retailer is making about $250 per dyson [based on an average retail price of $500 per dyson] before paying overhead and operating expenses.  Not too shabby even when they offer 10-20 percent and more off, the profit margins for the retailers is huge.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #21   Mar 28, 2008 2:44 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Well HARDSELL, not sure about all that you say.  Doing the math, jaydee is netting $32 profit per dyson sold.  Seems to me that $50 retail mark up on the new HOOVER WT is looking better by at least $16 more per vacuum. 

Carmine D.

Well, HARDSELL based on my previous post let's recalculate dyson's net profit per vacuum based on an average wholesale cost per dyson to the retailer of $250.  Now the units sold at wholesale based on $1B of annual sales is 4 million units.  Doing the math, dyson nets $16 profit per new dyson sold.  Retailers are probably doing better with $250 gross profit before overhead and operating expenses. 

Any comments, observations, conclusions?

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #22   Mar 28, 2008 6:12 pm
CarmineD wrote:

Carmine D.

I thought we were talking about 2007.  I will reserve comments about the $50 extra profit.  You really do not know how accurate your profit calculation is for Dyson, however, it is not unusual for you to try and deceive the readers.
HARDSELL

Reply #23   Mar 28, 2008 6:18 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Well, HARDSELL based on my previous post let's recalculate dyson's net profit per vacuum based on an average wholesale cost per dyson to the retailer of $250.  Now the units sold at wholesale based on $1B of annual sales is 4 million units.  Doing the math, dyson nets $16 profit per new dyson sold.  Retailers are probably doing better with $250 gross profit before overhead and operating expenses. 

Any comments, observations, conclusions?

Carmine D.

Based on your calculation you may be correct.  Problem is, we do not know the accuracy of your calculation.  Most likely it is not correct as usual.

Botom line is that I told you years ago that box sales are not as important as profits.  Even $32 profit is better than the losses suffered by your beloved Hoover.  Dyson really has put the spurs to you and Hoover.

Ride em cowboy.

CarmineD

Reply #24   Mar 28, 2008 6:32 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
Based on your calculation you may be correct.  Problem is, we do not know the accuracy of your calculation.  Most likely it is not correct as usual.

Your first instinct is right [I highlightedit for you].  Go with it.  No maybe about it. 

Carmine D.

Replies: 15 - 24 of 39Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42