Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Venson

A question . . .
Original Message   Oct 26, 2007 3:37 pm
Hi,

Who thinks the day will come, and how long will it take, when the "vacuum cleaner" will generally be accepted as just a hole in the wall that we plug a hose into? No more cyclones, water baths or super-duper filtering for alllergy sufferers.  No thought over buying canister or upright and what warranty length is.  No more concerns about cord length or operating noise levels.  I'm not just talking central vacuum system but also of a possible change in our view of practicality.  The day is not that far away when our computers will also be our telephone and TV among other things.  Come to think of it they are now though not widely employed.  Does anyone feel central vacuum systems may one day be provided in apartment buildings and other multiple dwelling as a given as well as in individual private homes?

Thanks,

Venson

This message was modified Oct 26, 2007 by Venson
Replies: 33 - 42 of 42Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: A question . . .
Reply #33   Mar 14, 2009 7:40 am
Like butter and toast, we're known from coast to coast.

Carmine D.

Trebor

Reply #34   Mar 14, 2009 8:23 pm
Carmine,

You really are a good sport!

Trebor

CarmineD

Reply #35   Mar 14, 2009 10:01 pm
Trebor wrote:
Carmine,

You really are a good sport!

Trebor

Thank you.  It comes with age.

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #36   Mar 29, 2009 12:56 pm
Seems the new question for today, at least as far as I'm concerned, is to buy or not to buy.

Following is a link to an article that popped up online this morning at the New York
Times website. It seems that, quoting the article -- "A vast electronic spying operation has infiltrated computers and has stolen documents from hundreds of government and private offices around the world . . ."

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/29/technology/29spy.html?scp=2&sq=china&st=cse

The Chinese government has NOT been named as a responsible party though the large part of this activity has been found to originate on its soil. Nonetheless and despite how meaningless it might seem for just one part of the world take on on its own, do you think a consumer boycott on buying appliances -- vacuums, TVs etc., that are made there might be a significant stand to take?

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #37   Mar 29, 2009 2:19 pm
Venson wrote:

....do you think a consumer boycott on buying appliances -- vacuums, TVs etc., that are made there might be a significant stand to take?

Venson

Hi Venson:

No for mutually beneficial trade and business reasons.  Thought you might enjoy this article when you have time to read.  It makes the case much better than I.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2009/mar/22/how-china-will-reinvigorate-itself-amid-global-cri/

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #38   Mar 29, 2009 6:32 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hi Venson:

No for mutually beneficial trade and business reasons.  Thought you might enjoy this article when you have time to read.  It makes the case much better than I.

Thanks Carmine but I am still disturbed, and when am I not, due to the weight of the accusation. If whoever instigating this were sniffing merely for industrial heads-ups I'd feel less disquieted. But what on earth as the Dahli Lama's information base, or the Pope's for that matter have to do with anything?

The spread of online spying is not new and the U.S. may somehow be included in the bunch. However, the deliberate use of spyware to "invade" the information systems of organizations and government offices around the world by a nation or having it occur in a nation of note can't be dismissed easily by outsiders or anyone as just some sort of hackers' prank.

My larger point of contemplation is whether a firm stand on the matter would bear any real effect on bringing and end to the problem. I don't want war declared. I don't want the Chinese government taking any more people out back to be shot for malfeasance. Nonetheless, I would be glad to soon hear a statement from the Chinese government at least claiming it is its full intention to set things right.

I remain highly adverse to giving my money to someone who won't love me right. I'm funny that way.

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #39   Mar 30, 2009 7:36 am
Venson wrote:
If whoever instigating this were sniffing merely for industrial heads-ups I'd feel less disquieted. But what on earth as the Dahli Lama's information base, ........or the Pope's for that matter have to do with anything?

Venson

More details are coming out.  Appears that the Chinese gov't isn't behind it and the US gov't is/never was a target.  WRT the Dahli Lama connection:  Recall the recent clashes between Buddhists monks and Chinese police.  Possibly a motive.

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #40   Apr 18, 2009 4:51 pm
Hi,

Anybody got ideas on how to properly build one of those collection containers they make for hook up to a regular or central vac? (They average about $70 in price if you buy one retail.) They are intended for nasty work like picking up large not only dust but large debris that you wouldn't normally expose a CVS or household machine to.

I thought I'd try to make my own. I bought a five-gallon plastic paint bucket with a lid that has a very good seal. Now I just have to look for a 2-inch attachment port too support a bigger hose for incoming air and a smaller port for outgoing air to attach to my regular vac. It appears obvious that a shop vac type pleated filter is needed but I am not aware of the part you'd need to mount one on.

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #41   Apr 19, 2009 7:33 am
Hi Venson:

Sounds interesting.  Plumbing supply for the ports. Possibly a pleated filter with the filter holder [like those on the shop vacs] and cover with a large paper filter secured by a gasket/elastic holder.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #42   Apr 19, 2009 7:36 am
Venson wrote:
Hi,

....but I am not aware of the part you'd need to mount one on.

Venson

A few screws/nuts into the pleated filter holder might work.

Carmine D.

Replies: 33 - 42 of 42Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42